Pinch grip question

Jason Paul

I just read Nick's tips on pinch gripping. Very informative, good info! I'm still new to grip training and don't have a lot of grip tools (just a gripper, but I won't talk about that, I promise!). I'd like to train my pinch grip more, but I have a few problems.

Right now the only thing available for me to pinch (one handed) is weight plates. I can use two 10-lb. plates, but I can hold them for over a minute. I'd like a little more weight. I tried pinching a 25-lb. and a 2.5-lb., but couldn't get it to work. I can't get plates of different sizes to work for me. They slide around too much.

My question is: If I use two 25-lb. plates and pinch them with both hands, out in front of my body, will that be as effective as pinching the weight in each hand at my sides? Does that make sense?

By pinching with both hands on one unit of weight, will I be developing lopsided strength due to my dominant hand taking the majority of the weight, or anything like that?

Would I be better off just building some sort of pinching block out of wood, rope/chain, and an eyehook or somehthing?

Thanks for any input.

Jason

Guest JD79

Jason, I take it from your question that you can't quite get two 25s yet.  Thats cool, this stuff takes time.  I have made a pinch block out of wood that is the same width as a pair of 45s sandwiched together.  My theory was that if I could get 90lbs on this block then I should be able to get two 45s, a goal of mine.  So I suggest getting some woood, cutting it to whatever width you want, and putting in an eye hook.  Then you can laod the block to whatever poundage you want.

JD

alternate idea: take 2 wood but ideally steel blocks each the width of a 45lb plate, and join together with a 3ft small gauge chain. set it up so you can easily detach the chain from one of the blocks.

now thread a weight onto the chain, reattach it to the second block and pinch lift the 2 blocks together with one hand.

Add a little light oil between the plates and it becomes a good double plate simulation.

tom

(Edited by vikingpower at 6:42 pm on June 4, 2001)

(Edited by vikingpower at 9:05 pm on June 4, 2001)

Hi Jason-

Pinching two 25's is a fine idea.  You could also find ways to make the 10's harder to pinch (e.g. don't use chalk, if you already don't use chalk then rub some lotion into your hands before you make the lift- I guarantee that that will make the lift harder).

I use a wood block, which is a bit more porous than weight plates so it's easier to hold.  That's not a big deal though because you can just add weight to make up the difference.  Others put a rod in the plate holes and add weight that way.

What really matters is that you find something that you like and will continue to do.  Progess is progress whether it's with a wood block or weight plates.

BC.

Guest Joe Garcia

If you like to make things, you could do this. Cut out a piece of wood the same size (diameter) as your 10 lbers, with the same hole.  Cut it so that the wood, and the 2 plates are the same width as the 45lb plates. The wood plate goes between the 10lb plates.  You have the same slippery surface and now you can use a chain run through the holes to add weight when ever you want

Guest Sean Tahirali

I use a small "C" clamp to add weight in small increments to my plate curls. This allows me to keep the weight opposite from where I grip thereby getting maximum leverage against my wrist as I progress which I hope will help me transition to the larger plates as I move up.

Oh, yeah. We were talking about pinch gripping, weren't we? Seriously though, you might try this for pinch gripping although I have been reluctant to because it performs the squeezing together for you. Another method I use is two wooden toggles joined by a short piece of rope. I run them through the holes then hang small plates on either side. It's quick and easy but works best for microloading when pinching larger diameter plates.

Just some more ideas to kick around.

Good lifting.

SDT

Guest scotte

Dear Jason

Put a short bar through the centre of the 2 plates, fix them in place with a collar and you can add small weights to them.

Do one or two handed and as Nick says "make sure you add weight at each workout".