GIANT RUBBER BANDS.

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

At work today I managed to get my hands on this huge stretchy rubber band.  You can buy them in sports shops for rehabilitaion, working the rotator cuff, or for all round 'toning'....ugh....I hate that word.  I got is to work my rotator cuff but when I was playing about with the stuff I found that if I clenched my fist and wrapped the band around it, it gave the perfect resistance for the finger extensors to work against.  It is easy to add resistance by just wrapping it round once more or by tightening it for smaller increments.  

If you do not know the band that I am talking about then here is a proper description.  It is about 6 inches wide.  Half a milimeter thick.  And about for feet long.  It is fairly indestructable for its size.  I think they are quite cheap too.

Guest Must crush

I've used "broccoli rubber bands," too. Make a chicken beak with all your fingers and thumb, put the band(s) on, and open and close. "Bok-bok-bok-awwwk!"

Never mind that last bit.

Kingpin, what you describe sounds like a Thera-Band. Rolls of the stuff can sometimes be found on e-bay. The toughest version is the silver-colored which I have yet to see on e-bay. The tan and green colored bands are rather easy.

Another grip type exercise to do with the band is to roll it into a short cylinder and practice nail bending positions. The band can also be used for stretching but be careful to not apply too much force.

Guest kINGPIN

Barbender, I think that that is one of the names they go under.  I got mine off a roll that belonged to the gym (its purple) but you can buy them in the sizes that I described.  I find that it works better then rubber bands because with rubber bands my little finger tends to push out to the side instead of up.

Must crush,  no chickens are allowed on this board, so keep your mating calls to yourself! :)