Complaints/Banning members etc.

Solan

There has been some debate on- and off-line regarding banning members of the GripBoard. I want to make a statement of policy:

1. Complaints about members should be addressed to the moderators, and not the forum in general.

2. Complaints should be specific, and concern posts made on the GripBoard. Include URL.

3. Complaints regarding behaviour at other boards should be dealt with at those other boards, according to the rules there.

4. Complaints regarding private e-mail should be sent to the offender's ISP. We are not moderators for the Internet.

Procedure for (4): Send the offender an e-mail, Cc'ed to his or her postmaster and yourself, where you tell him or her not to harass you again. Include the offending e-mail, preferrably with headers. If repeated, forward the new e-mail and a copy of your previous complaint to the ISP, and ask them to take action to ensure this does not happen again. This will usually result in a termination of the offender's e-mail account.

5. We ban people, not usernames.

When we banned Inchdisciple, we did not intend to tell him he could not call himself "Inchdisciple". We intended to tell the person behind the username, John McEneany, that his postings were not welcome on the GripBoard. We have not lifted that ban, and John McEneany has not written any request to me with good reasons for why he should be let back on.

So while "Old Guy" has not broken the board rules under that name, he is none the less an already banned person. Stealthily changing usernames is not the way to go about it to have his ban lifted. His new username has therefore been put on ban. And I iterate, for the sake of those who have asked me: He is not banned because of current activity; it is simply an old ban that is reinforced.

I would like to emphasize very strongly that disagreeing or doubting and discussing feats is not a reason for banning. Threads of such arguments will just be closed if they go on for too long. Period. Personal offensiveness, on the other hand, constitute the reasons for a warning and then a ban, and this was why InchDisciple was banned in the first place.