Wrist Curls

Guest sheriff

Guest sheriff

Aside from wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, I want to know if anyone out there has used hammer wrist curls where you position your arm on your thigh exactly as in regular wrist curls except that the hand moves up in down in the hammer curl position.

Also, has anyone held a dumbell at their side and moved their wrist in clockwise/ counter clockwise fashion.

I've been doing these movements as prescribed by a physical therapists as part of my recovery from a fractured wrist and forearm. But I wonder if these exercises are useless for strength training, and should be used only by those recovering from injuries.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would think that wrist curls would be a form of gripwork.  I have done the hammer curls that you're describing.   They seem to have helped strengthen my wrists for bends.  Mine wrists got really sore on the thumb and pinky sides.  As for the clockwise/counter I don't think they could hurt anything, as long as they weren't taken too heavy.  The added momentum thru the twist, to me, would seem to put too much pressure on the wrist.  That's just IMHO.  :)  

I've done both movements on my Ironmind lever bar.  Although it's the same wrist movement, my forearm is perpendicular to the ground rather than parallel for the hammer.  Go slow to ensure complete wrist control on the wrist rotation exercise.  I haven't done either movement with any consistency so I am unaware of its strengthening capabilities, but it's a nice break from other wrist work.

Remember though that when you're doing exercises like these as part of an injury recovery program, they're likely recommended because of their strengthening abilities.  Once your arm has healed, you can decide if it's the most productive way for you to strengthen your wrists or if there are better exercises for that.

BC.

I believe that if you're doing wrist curls, the only grip part you're working on is just holding on to the dumbbell itself.  Wrist curls don't work the grip... they work the forearm/wrist and forearm muscles.

If you want to do grip work (along the lines of using your wrist), use the HHII Leverage Bar from IronMind.  It's an excellent tool, and will strengthen that wrist!