Pinch Grip Record

Guest Scott Clayton

Guest Scott Clayton

Is David Horne's 139 pound pinch-grip lift the heaviest you guys have heard of?  

I've gotten kind of bored with my grip training lately, so I  am going to attempt to break this record.

I plan on devoting the next few months to pinch grip training.  I'll keep my pinch workouts posted in the workout section.

Scott,

What a co-incidence! Today at the coffee shop I

was reading Willoughby's article from August 1952's

Mr. America(Your Physique) entitled KEEPING THE

RECORDS STRAIGHT. On page 62 he addresses the question 'Who has pinch-gripped the heaviest weight'?

He then writes, 'Frankly, I wish I knew'. There was not

a good keeping of records on this lift that Willoughby

was aware of. He did mention Al Berger being able to

clean a 75 lb plate in each hand (to the shoulder).

Goerner pinched 111 lbs with a 2-3/8 width. The guess

is offered that Apollon could have done 120. He mentions Arthur Saxon one hand snatching a 90 lb

wooden plank.

Horne holds the record so far as I am aware.

Guest Scott Clayton

That crossed my mind as I was typing.  Especially considering the different widths used in all the different records.  I plan to use 2 York 45's as the "pinching surface."  I think they add up to about 2.5 inches in width.

Scott-They are hard to find, but see if you can find an old pair of York 45's.  Together they a bit over 4" across!  I have a pair that I bought from Bruce Wilhelm, World's Strongest Man 1977 and 1978, and Olympic weightlifting star.  I believe only Richard Sorin has pinched a pair of these monsters.  There is a picture of him doing it in Mastery of Hand Strength, John Brookfield's great book.  Now that would really be something to shoot for!!

A friend of mine who works for York Barbell,

visited a local junk yard earlier this year, and

found six of the old, wide-bodied 45s. They now

are resting in his possession.

Those of you who live in the Pennsylvania area probably

have a greater chance of discovering such wonders.

Guest Scott Clayton

They're not York's, but there are a few extra wide 45's in my school weight room.  They are thick, with kinda uneven rims, so they don't match up too well when you put them face to face.  From what I've heard, this is about the way the York's fit together.

I've seen the picture of Richard Sorin with the York 45's.  It's pretty impressive, only his finger tips are hooked over the edges of the plates.  But I'll definetly do some work on the wide plates on the road to 140.

Actually, a number of men claimed have pinch-lifted a pair of the old 45's.  When the photo of Jack Fritsch lifting them was first published in 1965, Strength & Health received 2 or 3 reports from well-known lifters who said they had done it.  This was before the thin 45's were manufactured so there was no room for mistake as to what the feat entailed.  With this much interest, it is surprising that some enterprising CofC hasn't tried to market aluminum replicas for the rest of us to practice with.  Tdave