Hand Balancing

I have been walking on my hands a LOT (around 3 hours a day) as of late.  My wrists are pretty sore from doing it.  I have a friend who is also doing a lot of handstands, he has been getting sore wrists as well, but he does it for less time than me, so I don't think time is too big of a factor.

It is working my forearms and wrist very well.  I feel it in my wrists more than from doing wrist roller or wrist curls.  Also, from all the walking on my hands, my whole body can get sore sometimes.  My shoulders and triceps have grown (especially shoulders) a significant amount.

I also do hand stand pushups, they don't get the whole body the same way walking on the hands will, but are an excelent shoulder and triceps exercise.

Try it out,

Michael Falkov

Hi Michael-

Keep that up and you'll never have a back problem in your life :)  I've always wondered why we came up off of our front legs...  Have you tried walking on your closed fists?

BC.

Do you do a lot of walking on your hands?  Do any of you?

I agree about back problems, I can feel my lower back being worked pretty well.  All of my stabilizer muscles get worked out a lot too.

As for walking on my fists, no, let me go try now...

Just tried it, feels good on my knuckles.  I would eventually like to be able to walk around on my fingertips.  Some day to do a one finger handstand.

Michael Falkov

Never walked on my hands in my life.  I've never practiced the balancing aspects of it.  I was just thinking about walking on a closed fist because if I do a lot of push-ups my wrists get a bit irritated.  Doing push-ups on a closed fist doesn't bend my wirst backwards and just feels like a more powerful position to me.

BC.