2004 March - Walker House Grip Fest - Rick Walker

Rick Walker

Jedd and Smitty arrived at my house Thursday, March 4th. We were taking off for the Arnold early Friday morning so they made it easier on themselves by arriving early. The idea was for USAW certified Jedd and Smitty to show me and my buddy, Cullen Stokes, how to do the olympic lifts correctly. Shrug called and said he would be stopping by as well. My step-son Derek joined us in the garage as the "Diesel Lifting Clinic" commenced.

You cannot have this many grip guys in one room without all hell breaking loose.

The line up?

Jedd Johson: 6'2" 250 pounds

Jim Smitty Smith: 6'0 230 pounds

Rick Walker: 5'9" 220 pounds

Jim "Shrug" Smith: 5'11" 330 pounds

Cullen Stokes: 5'11" 250 pounds

Derek Sherwin: 5'9" 190 pounds

Shrug arrived and immediately ripped into a 5 3/4 inch red nail. After a long battle he managed to kink it. I am sure it will fall soon.

From there, the lifting clinic was over and the grip fest began.

grippers

Smitty was taking cracks at every #3 in the garage. WOW does he have some enthusiasm. He is so close and he works his ass off for every centimeter. What a warrior.

Also closing in on the #3 WITH A SET is Derek. Once he is comfortable with it it will be Mash Monster time!!!

Jedd closed a number of #3s as well as my RB 260.

Shrug closed some #3s.

I closed some #3s cold, my rb 260 a number of times, and Jedder's beef builder elite. That gripper is a mirror to the MM1.

Cullen couldn't close the #1. :laugh But then again, he isnt a grip guy.

5-10s

Another goal smitty is chasing. He was so damn close but they wouldnt brake loose from the earth's gravity. DAMN!!! We ran a pipe through them and Smitty lifted them with ease. He is right there. Soon man, soon!

Jedd did the 5-10s with ease. He also cleaned and pressed them. He then turned his attention to 6-10s. With the pipe through them he lifted them to lockout. Without the pipe, he fought them for a long time. He kept trying and trying, but it was not to be. Soon enough for Jedd.

I cleaned 5-10s and pressed them. I also passed them around my back, then through them up into the air and just missed the catch with the other hand.

Derek and Cullen both lifted 5-10s to lockout :mosher the first time for either of them.

Shrug gave them an easy ride as well.

8-5s

I wanted to do this just to get it on film. After my third attempt, I stood up with them quite easily. I then flipped the double kickstands to all my adoring fans.

Shrug also did them with ease. No one else tried.

Blobs

Jedd, Shurg, and I all locked out the 50 pound blob. I think Jedder even cleaned and pressed it.

Everyone else toyed with the 37.5 pounder. Cullen got it with ease, and stirred the 50 but it was not to be. Derek and smitty hoisted the 37.5 by the face as well.

Inch DB replica

Jedd got that heavy bastard mid shin a number of times. He is oh so close. Shrug got it a few inches and I barely broke the ground with it. No one else tried.

2-35s

Easy for Jedd, Shrug, Me, and Cullen. I actually tried to clean and press them and had them turned, but couldnt finsih it.

Smitty and Derek are very close.

We all tried 2-45s-not today.

anvils

Jedd and shrug got stupid. They grabbed a 120 pound anvil in each hand by the horn and decided to do step-ups onto my EFS squat box. Jedd won with 2 complete step-ups. :laugh:whacked

Derek got the 120 by the horn as well.

Cards

Shrug was gone now. We decided to try some cards. I tore through 3 full decks. Smitty and Jedd each hit one. We coached Cullen through a tear and he finished an ugly deck as well.

Perhaps the most stunning thing of the evening was Jedd's multi feat performance. He snatched 95 pounds on an olympic bar, then side bent down while supporting the weight over head. He reached down with his other hand and grabbed the 50-pound blob, then stood back up. :bow:bow:bow:mosher:yikes

Jedds the f#cking man. I tried, but only broke the blob off the ground.

We did a bunch of other stuff, but I cant remember. We were dog tired after that. We went in, ate 4 dozen wings and 3 large pizzas. Smitty and Derek played Playstation 2 and I went to bed.

Jedd has all the video.....

In all it was a great time. can't wait to do it again fellas. it helped to kick off the arnold weekend in a big way!

Rick Walker :rock

Nice report of some AWESOME lifting!

Someone needs to remind Jedd that the human body is supposed to have limits! :whacked

Good report.

Thanks.

What I really want to know is:"how did Shrug-with all that mass and those huge forearms/biceps-respond to those Olympic lifting lessons?"

Genuinely curious?

He is the future WSM...as you already know. ;)

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Rick. Thanks for taking the time to post this, man. I certainly have not had the time to write anything down. I have put all the digital onto vhs, though. I had that Monday off after the trip. Just need to get smitty's footage on there and we will have a solid tape feats.

I could cut some of the garage stuff up. That would be cool.

Maybe this weekend. Oh, and I am not sure I closed the RB 260. Maybe, but I don't remember that.

Tom of Iowa - Shrug didn't do any Olympics. He mainly got ready for his ridicu-short red bend. I thought he was gonna get it, but it just didn't come up. I am not sure he has any experience in the Olympic lifts or break downs. I think his workouts are mainly posterior/big pulls/presses.

Smitty is so damn close on the three it hurts. He choked his wrist the last time we worked out and he touched the handles, but it was supported so I suppose it doesn't count. I am banking on a big close this wekeend, though from him.

This weekend, I am taking the Inch, the Blob, the 110 Diesel Block, the half 90's, the half 45's, hub plates, horse shoes, maybe more that I forgot up to the gym this weekend. Its gonna be ridiculous!

Thanks again, man

-Jedder-

I am anticipating an awesome Saturday lift....

Start out with core workout:

Rotator Cuff/General Warmup

Chest

Thick Bar Clean/Press

Hand Soak

Grip:

Block Weights

Grippers

BLOB

Hub

ThickBar

Can't wait - probably a 4 hour session - from start to finish

:flame:flame:flame:flame:flame:flame:flame

BTW - Awesome report Rick!!!! I think my intensity paled in comparision to Rick,Jedd, Derrick, Colin, Shrug...I was just there for the ride....

I will get the #3, but what I really care about...is times like we had in Rick's garage. Together, with your friends, having a great time. Hitting PR's, encouraging each other, sharing in the accomplishments and disappointments - but having moments that you won't forget - you know what I mean !!! I'm sure all of you know...

Now, I'm going to go take a bubble bath and read a good book - I'll talk to you guys later.... :blush

What the hell am I talking about? ;)

I love a nice bubble bayath.

Yayah.

-Jedd-

Yo, the video's ready, the son of a gun just won't upload right.

-Jedd-

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like its fun and dangerous when you guys get together!!

Nice report!! :rock

Please note that the footage for these feats is the "Day of Strength" video in the Diesel Crew Archives.

-Jedd-