Making A Cheap Pinch Grip Tool

Sybersnott

I should of posted this a couple months ago, but waited until I thought the time was right (?).  Anyhow, those of you looking for a cheap pinch grip tool..... look no further.  I found one, and you can make it, too.

It's cheap, and easy to make.  You will need the following:

2 medium Fed Ex boxes

1 bag of sand  (however much you need)

1 roll of duct tape

1 roll of athletic tape

2 small clean empty garbage bags

Go to any Fed Ex location, and ask them for 2 medium shipping boxes, or they will have them in the lobby of the location.  THESE ARE FREE.  Be sure they are "medium" (it will say so on the box).  When you assemble it, it will look like a briefcase.... you got the right size.  Now, place the CLEAN kitchen-size garbage bag inside, and fill it to the top with sand.  Now close it off, and wrap it with the duct tape.  To finish it off, place pieces of athletic grip tape on the ends (this is where your hand will grip the box).  If you do this correctly, it will be heavy enough to perform the "Farmers Walk", and will give your hands a good workout.  You will want to build TWO of them for this purpose - one for each hand.

For those of you "on a budget", this is a nice little tool to train your pinch grip without taking a big bite out of your wallet.  Total cost:  less than ten bucks.  (บUS)

Note:  the "medium" size Fed Ex boxes are the best.  The "large" are VERY heavy when filled with sand, and the "small" just don't cut the mustard.  Hence, go with the "medium" size.

Good tip, Snott.

I make it a habit to carry anything box shaped in a pinch grip. A book load from Amazon or the new front door to the house, I'll try to carry it with a pinch grip.

I work in a hardware store as a part time job and I carry the stock using a pinch grip (when the box is not too wide). It always amaze the customers when I give them the merchandise and they try to hold it the same way. Once, a big and fully tanned bodybuilder came to buy a bookcase. The box weighed about 80 pounds. I went to the back store then came back with the box, holding it pinch in my right hand. The guy tried to lift the box with a pinch grip : no contest. He tried with two hands : the box is glued to the floor. I lifted the box again to show him that pump muscle and tan don't make you stronger. We got into a long conversation about grip training and the guy was very receptive. Maybe I convert a bodybuilder in a strength trainer.

As for Sybersnott idea, his appartus is a good one. You can train your pinch grip on anything that allows you to get a good grip and that is heavy enough.

• 8 months later...

BTTT!!!  :)

I dug this one up for all you "pinch grippers".  Enjoy!!  :p

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Thats pretty cool stuff syber.  I gotta tell you, I've really been doing those (i believe they're called) key pinches.  Where you pinch grip something thin and hold it as you would a key.  I figure my weak link on my pinch is my thumb.  

I actually got into grip strengthening because of my thumb.  I am only 25 years old and when i was 23 I had an old recurring injury that i got from playing basketball.  My thumb got bent backwards so many times and i never went to get it checked out or let it heal when i was younger that it never healed right and the doctor told me when i was 23 that i had arthritus in my thumb.  

I believe that is a little too young to have arthritus and all the doctor told me to do is take advil.  Well i didn't just want to supress the pain, I wanted to heal my thumb and make it better.  So i got some Glucosamine and MSM and that made my thumb feel a whole lot better, but it wasn't any stronger so i looked up and searched all over the internet for thumb strengthening.  And i found the grippage!!!

So my thumb is now a lot stronger and i rarely get it hurt like i did not even 2 years ago.  

So my thumb thanks all of you here at the grip page for showing me exercises like pinching. biggrinyoyoA.gif

Good idea.

I also have a cheap pinch block I made- A 6 inch 2x4 and an I bolt. Screw the bolt into the wood and you have a pinch grip block.