IGC President - Tom Black

Solan

This post will be placed in all candidates' threads so all will have a chance to respond.

I do not know you personally.  I have only known you virtually for a few months.  Having visited your website and having followed your logs has given me a profound respect for your love of the sport.  I am searching for motivation to support you as a leader/chair of a fledgling international organization.  

Any organization requires a vast amount of dedication, organization, administration and leadership.   Your actions in office will carry us through our infancy, and create a foundation for us on which to grow.  

If you would indulge me, please list your background/experience with similar types of endeavors that would encourage me to believe you are qualified to accept such a position.  

Thanks for your time and indulgence,

Alan

Alan, it is my love of the strength game, and grip in particular that compels me to volunteer for this effort.  As far as my qualifications, lets start with what everyone already knows, my web site and my logs.  I started my web site over a year ago, and continue to build on a regular schedule.  With many outside pressures and responsibilities I have steadfastly added to the site.  This was not a simple task, requiring content in photos, articles and even video.  This was a continuous learning process of HTML and even composition and design, something I knew little about when starting.  About thirty weeks ago I began my series of on-line training logs.  The work required was even more than anticipated, but I have met the challenge and continue to write the log.  Like my website, I continue to post, with most delays being only minor.  I follow things through, and never give up on things that are important.

The above shows my dedication to the sport.  I don’t want to get into too much detail regarding my professional career, but what I can say will illustrate my leadership abilities.  I have a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering.  I have worked in the field for 18 years, the last 9 years as a Supervisor.  I have supervised at most times 16 professionals, including Engineers, Lawyers and PhD’s.  I have even run two units at once, a total of over 30 people.  I have also led charity campaigns at work for the last 4 years, something I am very proud of.  In fact, my “Bend-A-Thon” was the culmination of a successful campaign last year in which I coordinated the efforts of around 30 workers who successfully gathered thousands of dollars in pledges to many great causes.  In my professional career I have probably lectured to over 1000 people, from all around the world, in small groups of 15 at a time.  I have also on occasion given presentations to large audiences of over 500 people.  If our organization grows this may be a very good skill to have.  Well, enough of tooting my horn, I need to get back to the discussion of grip strength!