2004 March - I G Challenge - Clay Edgin

Clay Edgin

It's was an amazing day. One of discussions, ideas, efforts, surprises, and last second surprises. There was a strict curl competition going about, but with all the pre-contest gripping going on.....you could hardly tell. Before any official festivities began, we (the men of grip) were already demonstrating our prowess in a special corner of the showroom. So much so that at one point the meet coordinator (Kevin Meskew) insisted we do this in front of the audience during breaks. He felt the need on more than one occasion to give us positive encouragement through sophistcated comments. This meet was panning out to be pleasant for everyone. As for things that happened before the contest: Dave Tharp, a man unkown to us then, calmly came over and showed us the fluffy levitation qualities of the Inch dumbbell with quite the non-chalant effort (horizontal lift, a beauty with no tilt). I demonstrated to Odd Haugen my magnetic qualities with the blob. Clay casually closed a #4 in a choker (I mean that without embellishment, CASUALLY) with 3/4" spread to be precise. Mr. Haugen lifted the Inch dumbbell seeming to use it as a warm-up for real mans' work (another no tilt sweetness). These things are prominent in my mind, but more went on worthy of mention in after-posts.

Just before the contest the question of gripper set was being tossed between me and Mike Wayne (not competing). I asked him if he talked with Kevin about it. He went over then to ask Kevin. I joined in within a few seconds. Kevin was unaware of rule changes. I clearly explained the new rules. Kevin then assigned me as a judge, and relied on my input, admitting we were more knowledeable than him on this topic. I felt that since this contest was to be reported back to Strossen, we should go with the new changes. Kevin left the decision to me at that point. I chose the new rules. Going back to the guys, I realized they hadn't been consulted. I then felt a more democratic approach was necessary, since I distaste dictators (self included). Clay was neutral since he was able to perform at high level either way. Everyone else was wishy washy on it except David Tharp who needed a set. I then felt more diplomacy hit me. The man few were willing to approach at all I chose to ask. I explained the situation to Mr. Haugen. His position was to let Kevin decide. Kevin's was to let me decide. Mine was to have a group discussion with full input. I waited until the gripper match would begin.

With the gripper stage to begin I informed Kevin that we are about to have a discussion. Now with all the contestants present in a group, we got things hashed out. I was for the new rule, and explained it thoroughly. Two guys were worried about their hand size, but would take the challenge as delivered. Odd prefered the new rule at this point. We agreed on this suggestion I made: To be in the spirit of the competiton the new rule would be used, but those with problem hands would be allowed only enough set to get their pinky in contact. It may not be the best solution, or one that I still agree with. It was what seemed fair at that impromptu moment, and all agreed. No regrets. Everyone would step up. No complaints. No beefs. Just strength. Stay tuned for part II "The contest begins".

Did Odd try the grippers?

I don't believe so. He did pull around 200lbs on my dyno, but I thought I heard him say he couldn't close the #3. No doubt he could if he wanted to!

Crap, wrong thread!

Edited by Bearcat 74

The Contest begins!:

To summarize a great big point here: I learned alot at this. Not only does one have to be strong, but very knowledgeable about one's endurance, ability, and alertness. This was my first time at this format. We got 5 attempts at each event. They had to be used wisely. Also....in a close game, with strategy!.

We opened with grippers, and though I knew I could no-set my average seeming No.3, I knew the contest one would be a gamble. I had already decided to rep out on the No. 2 here, and try to take the other two events. Since Strossen's decision had come down I had little or no interest in the CoC portion of the contest. When I was handed the contest No. 3 it seems stout, but I thought I could nail it from any spread. No go though. Got it to under 1/8" , but the magic kiss was not. No biggie though, I was ready for a #2 rep out. I made a mistake in repping. We were alowing a set for the rep portion, but I was in a no-set mind-set. I no-set all the reps and let them out all the way. It cost me. I was dead at 8 reps. Setting them and opening to 1 1/2" or so would have helped me get to an impressive number, but no regrets. I like the full range and purity of my reps. Odd was watching, so I offered no less than the best.

The Hublift my ego told me I would win. I've pulled 65 lbs. the day before, and 70 lbs. a few days before that. I squandered my attempts to a culminating 60 lbs., and still had the gas I wanted for the RT. I say squandered because I thought 60 lbs. would shut everybody out. That didn't happen. I was totally unaware of the pinchmiester Mike Corlette that would pull 62 1/2 lbs. after me. If I had known of his strength I would have gone for 67 1/2 lbs.. I thought only Dave Tharp and Clay were my only heel nippers. I was wrong and should have not counted out anybody. That old man suprised me. He went home happy though. I was glad at that. He came out here to win that. He got it. I'll have more opportunities, Lord willing. For that day.....I admitt his satisfaction and his family's was nice to see. I tried 70 lbs. after he did for fun.

The RT. Here I overestimated my oponent. Tharp did 212 1/2 lbs. easy. I had 2 attempts left. I thought I needed 220 lbs. at least to beat him. I went for 217 lbs. right away figuring if I got it ......220 lbs. would be our battleground. I levitated the weight, and could have locked out a pound less. Well, it turned out he was finished at 212 1/2 lbs.. He was not able to do a pound more. I spent too much of myself on the 217 lbs., and could recover to win. If I had gone for the 215 I would have fared nicely. Again.....compete and learn. All in all though, I had fun. My intentions exactly. I had trained for none of these events, doing only deep set #4 closes the whole time. New training recipies are being cooked nowadays.

• 3 years later...
The Contest begins!:

... ....

The Hublift my ego told me I would win. I've pulled 65 lbs. the day before, and 70 lbs. a few days before that. I squandered my attempts to a culminating 60 lbs., and still had the gas I wanted for the RT. I say squandered because I thought 60 lbs. would shut everybody out. That didn't happen. I was totally unaware of the pinchmiester Mike Corlette that would pull 62 1/2 lbs. after me. If I had known of his strength I would have gone for 67 1/2 lbs.. I thought only Dave Tharp and Clay were my only heel nippers. I was wrong and should have not counted out anybody. That old man suprised me. He went home happy though. I was glad at that. He came out here to win that. He got it. I'll have more opportunities, Lord willing. For that day.....I admitt his satisfaction and his family's was nice to see. I tried 70 lbs. after he did for fun.

This was written before I was on the Gripboard. I was an unknown geezer that showed up. The only reason I entered the contest is that I told my son that I was confident I could win that event, regardless of who entered. I remember meeting a bunch of young men, all of who seemed like lifelong buddies, and when I asked them where they met, someone said, "On the Internet". I thought it must be some type of cult of some kind.

When we stood together before the contest started, I looked at everyone and said to myself, "Oh my God, I must look like an old man to these kids!"

So, a few months later, I joined the Gripboard, and decided to go by the handle "Hubgeezer". I had no idea that my worst fears were reality, that they really did view me as an old man, as evidenced by this post I came across today. Do I care? Nope, that's what makes this fun.

And it is good to see a recent interest in the IronMind Hub.