Ironmind News.

2strong

At least we got the Mash Monster :rock , as for Randy he needs to take that foot out of his ass. I was going to certify this year but looks like that wont happen any time soon.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

What a worthless rule! I feel sorry for the #3 & #4 closers that just got screwed out of there certifications. This is basically a not set close for me with 7.25" hands. Bring on the Mash Monsters Certifications!

Guest Hakfupai

I guess I'll have to train for these new conditions. Does this mean my certification will be worth more than someone else's that used a set?

A valid point about cleaning house. Anyone who had certified under the older rules, who cannot certify under the new rule, should be removed from the list, or as a point of honor should remove himself, or as a point of business should be removed by the company.

Or you could just send your T-shirt back.

http://www.ironmind.com/morenews.php?id=687#687
The free hand may be used to position the gripper in the gripping hand, but the starting position can be no narrower than the width of a credit/ATM card, and the gripster must show the official that he has an acceptable starting position by using his non-gripping hand to slide the end of a credit/ATM card in between the ends of the handles. Once this is done, the official will give the signal to remove the card and begin the attempt. Any contact between the non-gripping hand and the gripper as the card is being removed will invalidate the attempt, and the non-gripping hand must stay at least a foot from the gripping hand at all times during the squeeze. Similarly, nothing may be in contact with the gripping hand or the gripping arm from the elbow down (for example, the free hand is not allowed to steady the wrist of the gripping hand or hold the spring, etc.). The entire squeeze must be clearly visible to the official: the gripper cannot be closed while blocked from view and then turned and presented as already closed.

The way I read this is that a "no set" close is basically the legal way now. Once the credit card is removed and you close with one hand unassisted you have basically done a no set close since the end of the credit car is so wide that it amounts to no set or a very shallow set at best. It looks like any "no set" closers would qualify.

Am I correct when I assume that the rule allows a deep set to get a good grip and then it's allowed to open up the gripper to credit card range and then closing it?

Am I correct when I assume that the rule allows a deep set to get a good grip and then it's allowed to open up the gripper to credit card range and then closing it?

YES and if your hand ALLOWS it to 2 1/8'' you got it.

Yes I am sure a no set close is valid. I am surprised to some extent by the change in rules as it will have a profound effect on how people with smaller hands will view the certification process. It does not make sence to me from a business point of view. I have relatively long hands (8'') but would not see it as a victory defeating a guy with 7'' hands in a no set close competition. Strossen may have relied (too?) heavily on advice from someone with large hands perhaps. A better way of slowing down the flow of new CoC's would, IMO, have been to make the grippers slightly harder and requiering a close of a new out of the bag gripper. This could eliminate the problem of passing around easy #3's and #4's.

Phluff,

I sort of read it the same way. Get it tight, let it out, place credit card, get signal, sqeeze.

It will be tougher no doubt.

T

Either my gripper has a narrow spread or I have big credit cards, but it looks to me like there's just a little over 1/2" of movement before the credit card size is reached. Why not just say "no set"? Also, as Snott pointed out, not all cards are the same size.

All the more reason to create a governing body of grip

I mean what if Weider ran bodybuilding contests and made all the rules in addition to selling most of the products? What would the result of one person having all the power like that?

Oops, that already happened... :unrock :unrock :unrock

That's what I'm saying -- why say credit card, when it's 90% of not setting at all?

Edited by ianders1

That's what I'm saying -- why say credit card, when it's 90% of not setting at all?

I have to agree. I don't see how one could get a good set crushing grip, then let it out

to credit card width, and start again. Your finger position would change so much you

really don't have a set, not to mention how much more effort it would take to do a crush

that way. You would be basically doing two reps to get a piece of a set and then close

with the added presure of inserting the credit card and removing it to the satifaction of the witness while trying to hold the piece of a set you have.

It looks like it's no set and if your hand size doesn't allow it, tough!

I am surprised that there are people who could not no set close a gripper that had handles 2 1/8'' apart measured inside the handles. Grippers only need to be set enough to be able to hold them correctly prior to the close. Some were setting them far more than that. In anycase who cares about the IM cert? Roll on MM.

Bob,

I bet when you close the #4 with a set you will be able to no-set the #3, even if you end up using three fingers to do it. How many fingers can you get on the gripper using Randy's rules?

IMHO, the set favors the small handed. I think grippers fit your hand best when they are a little over 8".

Robert, if Randy wiped out the #3 list and started over, I would see this as a good challenge. However, seeing how I am a while away from closing the 3 much less the #4 in this manner, it's pretty pointless to bother trying.

I'm not completely against no set rules- Just with the way Ironmind has started changing it midstream. There's really nothing for me to do in the Ironmind cert process till I about double my strength.

When Warren starts his certification, I'll go for it.

Yeah this sucks. needed some time to cool off before I said something again. It might be worth having all memeber here create a cyberpetition and show it to randy. We could get a couple hundred names. Show hime that the customers really don't even recognize Ironmind anymore. Do you guys follow what I'm saying?

Rumor has it, or is it rumor, that a "grip legend" had inputs into this rule change. For Randy to call him a grip legend, the list has to be short on who this is.

I have about 2 guesses Wanna, and would be willing to bet on one of them! Are you guys thinking like me? Mike

Rumor has it, or is it rumor, that a "grip legend" had inputs into this rule change. For Randy to call him a grip legend, the list has to be short on who this is.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Now HE is STILL a LEGEND.......My HERO

a legend when 5 people knew what grippers were.

Old Guy, without naming names :D , you must be a mind reader! Mike

OK , if not that legend , that would only leave one person, right? Mike

OK , if not that legend , that would only leave one person, right? Mike

My guess.

But why would any legend, who met the same standards now being imposed, object- oh, I see, he didn't meet these new standards, so to keep his reputation separate from the Great Unwashed and his legacy polished, whoever we are discussing, needed to erect barriers?