Ironmind News.

2strong

Letter I just sent to Randy

Randy,

Just looking over the new certification rules you have implemented for the #3 COC. I was wondering how you are going to handle the current list of #3 closers:

1. Negate the entire list, because none of the current COC's have certified using the new criteria, or

2. Start a completely different list for people who are now certifying with the new rule in place?

I would appreciate your thoughts concerning this matter.

Thank you,

Jim Smith

Diesel Crew

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

Since the gripper variation problem still exists, I wonder if someone is going to have to no set a brick #4 down to "fill in distance" to show the gripper is legit?

Just wanted to let you guys know about the new up and coming #4 closer! He'll have NO Problem with the new rule. Shhh. Keep it a secret!

Click here

Well the logical step would have been for Ironmind to make a harder Gripper and to only profile New Certs on a#4 in Milo ,and mention #3 certs on the website.

Seemed like he was gonna do something after reading whatMr Jacobs posted the other day about witnesses going easy on people.

With my hands being less than 7 inches I will forget about the #3 for now. :cry

He wanted to use the credit card because everyone has a credit card, it's a universal length on everyone of them, so it took away from the guessing of the 1". Well, I think maybe he should find something that doesn't jump nearly 1 more inch.

How about?a McDonalds Double Cheese burger?They are on the 'dollar'menu.Anyone can buy one.They are 1 7/8"in thickness.A universally available measuring device.

That or a Mars bar.Maybe the width of a Hostess twinkie would be more appropriate?

i don't have a credit card and my drivers license has been taken away. :dryI have a comb though.

Too bad he didn't try a survey or at least a focus group of gripsters before making this decision. I initially thought that someone must have hacked the IM site or set up a lookalike site as a prank.

Isn't the Ironmind list by Year? All this means is that pre-2004 Coc's met an easier standard. This should encourage the old Coc's to re-certify under these new and stricter conditions. I like the new rule, as it raises the standards and eliminates a technique which violated the spirit of the original challenge. Tetting himself doesn't think a set should be allowed.

I do think he should allow people to close the gripper with three fingers, so small people have a good chance at it. Really though, almost all the current Coc's could close a #2 or BBSM without a set, so it really is a strength issue.

Well done Randy! You just should have done this years ago.

Robert

I hope you're being sarcastic.

I agree with Rick. If the whole purpose was to keep the list low, the original silvercrush would have been more than sufficient. It seems to me that Ironmind got what they wanted when the numbers started skyrocketing.

If this were the rules from the beginning, no big deal. If everybody was competing on the same ground, no big deal. Heck, if Strossen wipes out all the certs and starts over, I wouldn't have much of a complaint. Then again, I would still be more interested in the MM cause that is the way I'm built- Much like the reason I prefer PL over strongman, because strongman favors the taller guys.

Bob,

I bet when you close the #4 with a set you will be able to no-set the #3, even if you end up using three fingers to do it. How many fingers can you get on the gripper using Randy's rules?

IMHO, the set favors the small handed. I think grippers fit your hand best when they are a little over 8".

Robert

No one forces larger handed men to set the gripper, so it doesn't really matter if the set favors the smaller handed man.

WTF?! How did you get a pic of me before I shaved?!?!?!

WTF?! How did you get a pic of me before I shaved?!?!?!

The secret is OUT Sexton.

You can run but you can't hide! Now we know why you are so strong! :mosher

Now that this is revealed, Heath is no doubt the favorite to certify the #4 with the new standard.

Better look at Wood and Rob W. Those are my 2 picks. I'm sure Rob W does, and I know Wood has tremendous no set strength.

I don't see myself cert'ing anytime soon.

Heath if you need someone to help you cope with the stress of secret being let out I'm here for ya dude. I'll get Jody on the phone and she can help too.

Edited by Matt Van Weele

what irks me the most about this is that those who have to work the hardest to close the gripper by the previous rules in the first place? this rule may completely eliminate them from the possibility of ever certifying.

my lifting partner has certifying on the #3 as possibly his main grip goal (along with crushing a potato). he has slightly shorter hands than mine with very short fingers relatively speaking, but they're thick and he has an excellent grip. he can close my #3 to ~1/4" and hold it shut after cheating it closed. he can also close his bbm with 2-fingers. he will never no-set my #3 though because with his short fingers, he can only wrap his middle finger around the far handle...yet this is what he'd have to do to certify on it by the new rules...that or pinch it closed. so essentially, his main goal is unobtainable because his hands are too small...the new rule simply discounts all the work he's put in towards it.

no longer a fan of ironmind,

jeff

I THINK I'VE FOUND A WAY TO BEAT THE "NEW RULE".

Those who are still wanting to certify - pay VERY CLOSE attention:

The new rule states using "a credit card", right? HOWEVER... it doesn't say WHAT kind of credit card you can use. :mellow

O.K., following me so far?? :blink Good.

Now, go over to Bank Of America and open a free checking account.

It's totally free and you can do it over the internet (just like I did, hee hee).

Now here's the good part! :):)

When you get your credit card... they also issue you a "mini" credit card. It's half the size of a regular sized credit card and it operates the same way just like a normal sized card. The mini card is for putting it on your keychain - although I'll never do that (some people will use it as a swipe card)

THE DIFFERENCE IS..... IT'S SMALLER. The width?? 1 9/16". That's just enough to place that pinky finger around the handle and close that #3!! :happy

BTW, I think this new rule is for the birds - it sucks. :angry:

I say - find a way around the new rule. Open up a free BOA account and get certified!! :D

What a day...

Someone may have hit this already. But the ultimate goal with the rule

change may be to make the cert. more prestigious. If a competing

cert process were to allow a deeper set, it would be viewed as "easier".

I don't know, my head is still swimming. I need a Tylenol

:ohmy

T!

Randy's reply:

Jim,

Many thanks for writing about this because I think a lot of people are

interested in what we planned to do with the certification lists.

There are no second-class citizens on our lists because if we didn't believe

somebody followed the rules, we wouldn't have certified them. Also, we

don't feel that anybody should be penalized because a rule was later

clarified or revised. And something that not everybody might know is that a

lot of guys on our lists closed the grippers in just this style - the

one-inch rule was something we instituted a little over a year ago to try to

stop what appeared to be a trend toward deeper and deeper sets. It might

seem radical at first glance, but all we're really trying to do here is hold

the line on the set, and nobody is getting kicked off any list, demoted, or

anything else like that.

I talked someone earlier this afternoon who thought we meant the long edge

of the credit card and so he was concerned about being able to close the

gripper if you didn't have hands the size of a baseball glove - what we mean

is the narrow edge, so you'd be starting with about a two-inch spread, which

will accommodate even a smaller than average hand.

Many thanks for asking about this - we'd like to answer any questions that

we can about this.

Randy Strossen

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

Click Here

Here's the first GripBoard member to fail his cert with the new rule. Yes, he was attempting the 4!

Did I mention I am having fun!? :happy

:angry: Nathan Holle should be thrown off the list for sure as he definately didn't follow the new rules as Randall says. Everyone should email Randall and tell him that right away. Edited by patrick

lmoa

You're on a roll today Wanna.

I can hear the Wookie moans...

I can't believe this guy. Don't throw in the towel I didn't say anything like that. What he is really saying is keep buying my products eventhough I want to screw you out of your hard earned money and once you get strong i'm going to screw you some more. MMG0 here I come you are my new goal if I get the 3 this way good deal if not I don't care anymore

Matt,

Thanks much for taking the time to write and I know why you feel this way about the hand size thing - if you train for a while in this position, you will see that this really isn't an issue for anyone with even somewhat smaller-than-average hands, so don't throw in the towel just because you don't have hands the size of a baseball glove.

Sorry if we ticked you off with this, but I want to thank you for taking the time to write.

Randy