Ironmind News.

2strong

On the other "hand"... my hand is a little under 8" long and my pinky is 2.5" long (pretty good size for gripping). I cannot close the #3 no set, or credit card set as of today. But...that does not mean I cannot train hard to do so. Maybe I will never be able to do these feats, but that is the attractive part of "challenge" events (like the INCH, Blob, #3 etc.)

Bert,

I mean you no direspect but you just mentioned what the problem is. YOU can't do it according to the rules today and yet your name is on the list. People are having to use another standard to close the #3 now. The problem is that it calls into question any previous closer. OK fine the standard is credit card and we all must train for that if we desire to get certified by Ironmind.

Those of of you who worked endless hours to close the #3 are now 2nd class citizens when it comes to the list because your achievment is now in question, people will wonder if you can or cannot do it with thecurrent rules.

It is an insult to you and others who worked so hard to earn the title captain of crush. I do not question your earning the right to call yourself a COC but I can undestand how others who use the new standard to cert may.

This is not personal about you, this is how people feel, and how the certifications are percieved.

I agreed with almost everything you wrote and like the positive nature of your post. Please take mine as a point of view (I think it is valid) and nothing to do with anger or disrespect.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

Im with Pat on this one and I also agree with Bert. I think its time to move on . . .

Austin

What I think is disheartening is if someone is witnessed by someone who is already certified that could not close it themselves under the new rule.

I hate to say it, but this is a classic case of giving people an inch and they take a mile. People started to use a deep set and they would then quickly slam the handles together and show the closed gripper. This was hard to judge, so the 1" rule came into affect.

It didn't say you could set a gripper to 1", it said the last inch of travel should be clearly visible, but people decided to interpret it as that you could set the gripper to 1" and then close it. That type of closure wasn't in the spirit of the original challenge so this new rule was made. I don't like a new rule being made this many years into the game, but I do see it as being a sort of necessary evil.

According to Bill who has watched the Kinney #4 close on video, Kinney didn't use a set, slowly closed it, and then ground the handles. I don't remember his hand size, but I don't think he had monster hands. If he can do it, I know others can too. I feel really bad for Benny and Heath, but I know these guys can change their training and get the 4 in time.

Time to move on is an understatement.

C'mon guys, who gives a rats ass about earning the right to call yourself a "Captain of Crush"? That's a cheesy title if I've ever heard one! No one I know besides sybersnott has ever introduced themselves as a certified CoC. Is it really that big of a deal? No one strives to bench press 500 so they can be in the <insert cheesy 500 club title here> All the certification process is is a marketing ploy.

What I'm saying is if you want to close the #3 gripper, then go for it! It's still a very worthy goal, set or no set. Forget about Strossen and his cert. Yes, it is kinda cool showing your friends that you're in MILO, but once you realize this is Strossens magazine and he offers people a spot in it only if they buy his grippers, the novelty kinda wears off. Trust me. Besides, there's other ways to get in the magazines with things that are more impressive than closing a #3. A well written article gets all of my respect.

As for pre-credit card rule closers being 2nd class, go home with that ish. If you can close the #3 you've got a strong grip. PERIOD. I especially don't want to hear that from someone who has yet to close it. So what, the new rule is asking you to jump through your ass. Don't put down the previous #3 closers because of a change of rules.

Yet still, I can see why some people (with small hands) would be upset. I know Midget Hands and others got the shit end of the stick, but you know what, Rob needs no cheeseball title for me to know how strong he is, I've seen it first hand. That's what I suggest everyone who wants a title in the grip game to do. Enter a contest and handle your business. Much more impressive than a #3 close even if you come in last. Put up or shut up!

When one door closes, others will open. I forsee many grip contests this year, and many more times will the #3 and #4 fall. If Strossen doesn't want to recognize it, so freakin' what?!

You want to be known for your grip? Get to a contest and show your stuff.

Dan Cenidoza: drafter, college student, strongman, and philosopher.

Wether it be on the GripBoard, or in a bar in Columbus Ohio, Dan is forever spreading the word.

You are a good man Mr. Cenidoza. Even though you like Hennessy and cigars, we all have some bad points.

Preach on!

Rick Walker :rock

Dan Cenidoza: drafter, college student, strongman, and philosopher.

Wether it be on the GripBoard, or in a bar in Columbus Ohio, Dan is forever spreading the word.

You are a good man Mr. Cenidoza. Even though you like Hennessy and cigars, we all have some bad points.

Preach on!

Rick you don't sip on the "Henn-dawg"?? :D

I tried a shot.

Tasted like $7 gasoline. I will keep my beer....

I tried a shot.

Tasted like $7 gasoline. I will keep my beer....

That's funny :)

Well, I just got my certificate, T-shirt and cap.

:blink

Yeah. I feel really proud of myself today. Woohoo. All that work. The carpal tunnel, clicking wrists, raw hands, meeting with the certifier twice, etc. and....

Wow.

And, er, yeah, now I have.... um.... this.

Razorman,

You should be proud, like Dan said it is a huge feat, set or no set. I am working my ass off to get it that shit closed and I will be proud when I get it.

Time to move on is an understatement.

C'mon guys, who gives a rats ass about earning the right to call yourself a "Captain of Crush"? That's a cheesy title if I've ever heard one! No one I know besides sybersnott has ever introduced themselves as a certified CoC. Is it really that big of a deal? No one strives to bench press 500 so they can be in the <insert cheesy 500 club title here> All the certification process is is a marketing ploy.

What I'm saying is if you want to close the #3 gripper, then go for it! It's still a very worthy goal, set or no set. Forget about Strossen and his cert. Yes, it is kinda cool showing your friends that you're in MILO, but once you realize this is Strossens magazine and he offers people a spot in it only if they buy his grippers, the novelty kinda wears off.

Yes COC is a well thought out marketing tool.

Very effective and inexpensive form of advertising.

Very clever.

BTW.Great Post.

I agree you should be proud regardless of how you closed it. I like Smittys attitude on the whole thing. No whining just a desire to close it no matter what the rules are, just another obstacle to run over. You will be there soon im sure.

Austin :rock

C'mon guys, who gives a rats ass about earning the right to call yourself a "Captain of Crush"? That's a cheesy title if I've ever heard one! No one I know besides sybersnott has ever introduced themselves as a certified CoC.

While I agree with almost all you say I find these lines a bit funny.

Have you seen the title you have on the gripboard :D

Nils

I see more and more people are saying it's time to move on. I had that feeling after reading the first few posts on the Ironmind news topic. I hope it has now been beaten almost to death and will die shortly!

I figured we go for a forums world record for pages and views. ;)

Besides, this needs to stay active in case more rule changes happen this week. :)

Well, I am now *wearing* the hat and T-shirt.

They don't really suit me. In fact, the whole getup looks rather dorky.

But I am proud of myself nonetheless, even if the cert *is* meaningless, and will annoy my good friend Rick.

C'mon guys, who gives a rats ass about earning the right to call yourself a "Captain of Crush"?  That's a cheesy title if I've ever heard one!  No one I know besides sybersnott has ever introduced themselves as a certified CoC.

While I agree with almost all you say I find these lines a bit funny.

Have you seen the title you have on the gripboard :D

Nils

So what? But I'm glad you brought that up...

I propose that all #3 closers, post credit card rule, have just that in their title. "#3 Closer" Ironmind doesn't have to recognize everybody who can close the #3 but the gripboard can. Better yet, the title could read "Certified Mash Monster"

In response to Dan C's post on Sybersnott introducing himself as a CoC:

That's F-in awesome. Snott you are the man. The only thing I've done comparable was to list closing the #3 as a lifetime goal on a job application. I just applied to get interview practice though and never had any intention of working there though so my example is nowhere near as cool.