• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

Hah, I like the deadlift analogy.

I would say it's more akin to not changing the bench uprights for the shorter armed guys. The bench press is how much weight you lift to lockout, and shouldn't be a test of how bad you have to contort yourself to reach the bar.

Yes, the short armed people move the bar less distance, and unfortunately that is life. It was very obvious to me within the 1st 15 minutes of gripper training that it did not fit my hand, and that unless I positioned it with the other hand, I wouldn't get my fingers around it unless I used some god-awful finger walking act, or placed the opposite handle halfway in my thumb.

Setting the gripper has been around the last 5-6 years I have been around the gripper game. The whole "no-set" phenomon, at least here on the gripboard, is a pretty new fascination.

If someone is wondering how a no set looks like with a 7" hand... take a look here : http://home.nktv.no/~dagroye/grip/noset.avi

I doubt I can do that to a #3 anytime soon ! < <

What gripper was that? and it looks like me trying to no set :D so......., Wanna his hand is close to 7'' if not exactly. Except his pinky is longer than mine . Mine is

exactly 2''.

If someone is wondering how a no set looks like with a 7" hand... take a look here : http://home.nktv.no/~dagroye/grip/noset.avi

I doubt I can do that to a #3 anytime soon !  < <

What gripper was that? and it looks like me trying to no set :D so......., Wanna his hand is close to 7'' if not exactly. Except his pinky is longer than mine . Mine is

exactly 2''.

That was a CoC #1 and if I have a very good day I'm able to close a #2 that way.

But I have to wriggle it into place and have a good portion of luck.

I have no chance to do that wriggle technique on a #3 !

That was a CoC #1 and if I have a very good day I'm able to close a #2 that way.

You WILL get it, but not that way. Do your set then slowly open it to the credit card

then kill it. Its ALOT harder but easier than trying to no set.

Now with IMs new credit card start position, it would seem that

a return to developing a good strong sweep is warranted. With

the past rule of the inch set position, a strong sweep was negated,

because it was not needed.

You WILL get it, but not that way. Do your set then slowly open it to the credit card

Is this legal? I will definitely try it....seems like a good alternative to the high potential for injury in the wide opened hand position at the start...

With

I disagree. We are talking the difference of a strong sweep versus an VERY strong sweep when you are at the higher levels of grippers. :)

I have tried that... but when I open up the gripper after the "deep set" the handle that is in my palm will slide back ( if I don't let the gripper slide back into my palm... my fingers will have a hard time to get a good grip on the handle ).

And when the handles are about 2 cm from closing, they have a tendency to separate instead to go towards each other.

If you can use this technique with 7" hands... more power to you ! :bow

Is this legal? I will definitely try it....seems like a good alternative to the high potential for injury in the wide opened hand position at the start...

I don't see why not. Also i don't see a problem with hands at 7 3/4'' and above this way. Obviously its harder but with a little training its doable. I'm back at 1/8''

from closing a #3 this way. Now if this is not legal then NO I don't think i'll close the #3 in a LONG time.........Changing a rule this drastic this far along in the game is like saying a verticle jump is now measured by how high you can reach

your fingers, and not how much you get off the ground.

QUOTE (zcor @ Mar 14 2004, 02:53 PM)

With

I disagree. We are talking the difference of a strong sweep versus an VERY strong week when you are at the higher levels of grippers. 

Ok.. Let`s compare this.. Kinney starts his close of the 4 with the

initial start of the sweep from an open gripper position. No assist

from the fingers of the free hand to help pull the handles closer for a set.

Evidence he posseses a strong sweep. Whereas, most of the gripper

closes I have seen on the Gboard, the members pull the finger handle

in to a set position, negating having to fully perform the initial sweep

move.

Would you not agree that by-passing the very initial start of the sweep,

would cause a loss of sweep strength? And with IMs new rule, one will

have to develop the initial start of the sweep? This is c-o-n-f-u-s-i-n-g me :whacked

I have tried that... but when I open up the gripper after the "deep set" the handle that is in my palm will slide back ( if I don't let the gripper slide back into my palm... my fingers will have a hard time to get a good grip on the handle ).

And when the handles are about 2 cm from closing, they have a tendency to separate instead to go towards each other.

If you can use this technique with 7" hands... more power to you ! :bow

Yeah you cant do a deep set ...Just put the gripper in your hand

against your thumbpad with you thumb forward, then bring the other

handle in to set a LITTLE then grab the credit card and let out just

a little to the 2 1/8'' and it should feel a little better and wont slip like

the other way. OH dont get me wrong its hard but i think its easier this

way for us MIDGETS....Good Luck

Why hasn't anyone pinched gripped a two dozen 1.25 lb Olympic plates?

Because no one's hand is large enough to spread that far.

The grippers could be made so wide (indeed some were) that only the largest of hands would have any hope of a no set #2 close.

Reason demands that a fair starting position be allowed.

Why hasn't anyone pinched gripped a two dozen 1.25 lb Olympic plates?

Because no one's hand is large enough to spread that far.

The grippers could be made so wide (indeed some were) that only the largest of hands would have any hope of a no set #2 close.

Your preaching to the choir. :D I agree 100%

Randy would only require you to start with a 2-1/8" handle spread on your 5" wide gripper. Therefore, your giant gripper would be closable under the new rule.

Joe,

I am surprised you are not more of a reactionary, when it comes to griptraining. The deep set is the equivalent of an equipped powerlift: Both are techniques used to give the appearance of greater strength than the individual really has.

Now we have two "Federations":1) Ironmind (RAW lifting) 2)Gripboard (equipped lifts). The gripboard looks to be the more competitive one, but both approaches are valid.

Robert

I would be happy to use a gripper of #3 or greater difficulty that had a 4'' handle spread. Ayone got one to give me?

Sorry John the best I can offer is a 3.25 spread. If you want one with a 4'' spread I could have it made for you.

I would be happy to use a gripper of #3 or greater difficulty that had a 4'' handle spread. Ayone got one to give me?

That’s easy! Just take a #4 and screw in an extension, try ¾”, still harder than a #3, at least the one I made is. Oh yea, and go ahead an no set close it!

Your gonna step in shit. :mosher Whats your address i'll send it tomorrow.

John,

I had a dream where someone handed me a #3 that had the handles at 45 degree angles from each other. Needless to say, I couldn't close it - actually, I couldn't get my hand around it!! :laugh

I don't think the "ever deeper set" was the real issue, as we have halted that trend by the parallell set rules for the MM and European championship. A parallell set is quite easy to judge. The credibilty of the certification process stands and falls with solid rules. Changing them every now and again removes that credibility. I can almost guarantee that we will see a change in the bending rules as more people are bending the red, demonstrating that Brookfield's feat is doable. We may soon all have to bend the red at waist level. Actually, I can bend harder steel using Brookfield's style than I can using the Holle brothers style. The importance is that we stand behind the bending rules in place regardless of future IM changes in bending regulations. The reasons given behind the change in gripper rules implies that the rules for bending will change in the future when a red bend have become so common it is no longer worth the writeup in Milo.

I don't think the "ever deeper set" was the real issue, as we have halted that trend by the parallell set rules for the MM and European championship. A parallell set is quite easy to judge. The credibilty of the certification process stands and falls with solid rules. Changing them every now and again removes that credibility. I can almost guarantee that we will see a change in the bending rules as more people are bending the red, demonstrating that Brookfield's feat is doable. We may soon all have to bend the red at waist level. Actually, I can bend harder steel using Brookfield's style than I can using the Holle brothers style. The importance is that we stand behind the bending rules in place regardless of future IM changes in bending regulations. The reasons given behind the change in gripper rules implies that the rules for bending will change in the future when a red bend have become so common it is no longer worth the writeup in Milo.

I think the bending rules are solid as stated in the bending cert forum and David's challenge bars will become the new standard of bending (maybe they have already!) should the IM red bending rules go south....

Heres what I think if you want to get certified by IM then work with no sets till you can close it no set then get certified by closing with a no set and shove the card up someones a** if you know what I am saying but thats IF you still want cetified by ironmind.

I was going to have a choked up GM made with a 4inch spread. This way bighanded guys could see what it feels for us smaller handed people although a 4.5 might be more apprpriate. However i guess Rob has one already sio I don't need to buy one. If old guy shuts it great but at least then he'll see what people mean.

I was going to have a choked up GM made with a 4inch spread. This way bighanded guys could see what it feels for us smaller handed people although a 4.5 might be more apprpriate. However i guess Rob has one already sio I don't need to buy one. If old guy shuts it great but at least then he'll see what people mean.

If i give him my #4 with a 4'' spread with 9'' hands.... its STILL not the

same as me with a 3'' spread but i'd love to send it......You forget

I work EVERYDAY with some of the strongest AND biggest hands on the

gripboard. What i'm saying is NOT guess work.