Ironmind News.

2strong

I remember the old days when IM wouldn’t accept credit cards and you had to call to get a shipping quote.  Now, they are required to close grippers!  Weird.

We should do this: everyone find an old, no longer usable credit card and send it to Randy with the following note: The new rule sucks! Here's MY card!! :angry::angry:

or send him a bag of crack and tell him to smoke some more!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

Rob.... sending a bag of crack thru the mail is a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Don't do it! Grip training in prison?? Let's NOT go there.... :blink:laugh

Rob.... sending a bag of crack thru the mail is a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Don't do it! Grip training in prison?? Let's NOT go there.... :blink:laugh

speaking of crack?just pkg. up a good 'ol Iowa steamer. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Some people are saying that with the new rule that they cannot reach with there pinky. I do not even have room on the handle to use my pinky even though I can reach easily and have never set any gripper.  Large hands can also be a problem! Meanwhile all this is several nails in the Ironmind certification coffin!

What the hell are you talking about?

What don't you understand???

Some people are saying that with the new rule that they cannot reach with there pinky. I do not even have room on the handle to use my pinky even though I can reach easily and have never set any gripper.  Large hands can also be a problem! Meanwhile all this is several nails in the Ironmind certification coffin!

What do you mean.. your fingers are to wide because Tony Scrivens can fit his hand on the handles and his hands are a little bit thicker than yours....

Also Rob W hands are at least as big as yours and he has no problem.

What do you mean.. your fingers are to wide because Tony Scrivens can fit his hand on the handles and his hands are a little bit thicker than yours....

I do not have room at the end of the handle for my little finger. If I move my hand up the handle to make room, my index finger is only halfway on the top of the handle and I lose leverage. Gripper handles are 3.75'' in length. Not very long.

Overall, I understand Strossen's concerns but I feel the change in the rules was not well considered. The whole credit card thing is, to be honest, somewhat flawed. I want to crush the handles shut is a decisive manner, not my credit cards. I need my credit cards. Randall needs our credit cards.

I do not have room at the end of the handle for my little finger. If I move my hand up the handle to make room, my index finger is only halfway on the top of the handle and I lose leverage. Gripper handles are 3.75'' in length. Not very long.

Usually your pinky should be halfway on the handle then you should have plenty of room for your index finger. Maybe your hands are as wide as Tony's :rolleyes

Hands wider than Tony's would be a sight to behold. His hands are huge. Pictures, words, whatever they don't do them jusctice.

They are not that wide, but definitely wider than 3 3/4'' the length of the handle. I do not think that the pinky helps a great deal.

For those who have e-mailed Randy what e-mail address did you use?

The one on their web site.

Captains of Crush® Certification: No Second-Class Citizens

"..We instituted the one-inch rule a little over a year ago in an attempt to stop the trend toward deeper and deeper sets, but it has not worked the way we had hoped, so we felt that we had no choice but to act decisively to correct this situation. On the other hand, if someone wants to clamp down a gripper, leaving a gap the thickness of a razor blade, and then close it, more power to him...."

It sure doesn't sound like he thinks those who set CoCs aren't Second-Class Citizens.

He is saying as much here. Any Coc's here set it that deep? If any do, is that the typical way or just hyperbole from the good Dr.

On the other hand, if someone wants to clamp down a gripper, leaving a gap the thickness of a razor blade, and then close it, more power to him...."

This is absurd. I've never seen ANYONE close a gripper like this. :blink

My e mail to Dr. Strossen:

Dr. Strossen:

I first purchased the trainer and the #1 in 12/02 and discovered the Grip Board shortly there after. A short time later I purchased your #2 and #3 as well as a great deal of other products you manufacture. I am 45 years old and my joints feel all of the stress and pain associated with years of heavy weightlifting. This new gripper phenomenon really intrigued me because I could compete again with the younger guy's. I've trained like a mad man in my garage ever since. Ironically I was going to contact Iron Mind Friday about certifying as I have been closing the #3 for a couple of months.

Dr. Strossen I have been self employed all of my professional career and in different markets and I must say, without stating the obvious, you have a tremendous and unique nitch, world wide, in this relatively new facet of strength training. I have three problems with this Rules change. First and foremost it eliminates an equal playing field with respect to different hand sizes. There is no getting around that. This new rule penalizes guys and gals with smaller hands who will never have a chance to become a COC regardless of fortitude and determination. Secondly, it hasn't just been one year that people have been setting the gripper to get their pinky on it, has been years. A drastic rules change like this with out creating another "no set COC list" , in my opinion, taints the current list of COC's. Thirdly Dr. Strossen, in all due respect, I think you have failed to realize just how large the grip world has grown and is growing every day. By these shear growth numbers alone you are going to have more people closing the #3 and #4 gripper. People like myself are out there unbeknown to you training to close these grippers that you have and others have manufactured. You should not be concerned that more and more people are getting certified you should embrace it, applaud it and support it.

Using a set whether you call it a "deep set" or a "regular set" ,without the handles going past parallel, is the only way to create a common playing field for everyone world wide to compete with each other. It doesn't matter if you weigh 350 pounds or you are only 5' 4", but the size of your hand sure matters. As I am sure you know, it is not the sweep of the close that is the most difficult, it is that last inch.

I am respectfully asking you to reconsider this rules change. In the sprit of competition it is only fair.

Yours in grip,

Tom Page

On the other hand, if someone wants to clamp down a gripper, leaving a gap the thickness of a razor blade, and then close it, more power to him...."

Yes, and wouldn’t proper implementation of the 1” rule have eliminated that type of razor thin close (if they existed)? And if not, then wouldn’t this be a reflection on those doing the certification not being able to see the difference between razor thin and 1”?

Yes, and wouldn’t proper implementation of the 1” rule have eliminated that type of razor thin close (if they existed)? And if not, then wouldn’t this be a reflection on those doing the certification not being able to see the difference between razor thin and 1”?

As I said, the bigger issues with the cert aren't even addressed. So, it makes it even MORE absurd that statement. :rolleyes

As I said, the bigger issues with the cert aren't even addressed. So, it makes it even MORE absurd that statement. :rolleyes

Whats the matter with the handle of another gripper......3/4'''

Surely EVERYONE who's certing has a gripper to stick in the end

for the set?

I have been a lurker for a long time. This thread has finally made me post. I wrote the following to Strossen:

Randy,

I have purchased 8 of your Ironmind COC grippers over the last 2+ years. I can now routinely close your #3 gripper and was just going to write you to get certified. I have been able to close the #3 for 3 months now but did not want get certified until I could do 5 reps with the #3. That way I would be able to certify for sure the first time. I guess now I can no longer write you to get certified because I can no longer meet the certification requirements. I have been training for this for over two years. My hands have been cracked and callused. My hands have been so fatigued that I can barely close my hands. For someone that has never closed a #3 or has never done any amazing grip feat, I find it ironic that you have responded to some of the Grip Board members with some lame inspirational statements. You have NO idea what it is like to train grip. For that I am very disappointed. At this time I have no use for any of your products and will no longer purchase your products or recommend your products to my friends.

After reading what you did to Heath this last week at the Arnold makes me realize that you and Ironmind are no longer being objective but being a group of elitist snobs. It is for this reason also that I have no use for any of your products and will no longer purchase your products or recommend your products to my friends.

Sincerely,

Eric Danielson

I sent it to him at sales@ironmind.com. I am now going to put all my energy to closing the Mash Monster Grippers. I have no use for Ironmind. :D

Edited by DoDa

please do not take this the wrong way but you should not mention others in your complaints to ironmind. The comment about Heath makes it sound like he has been complaining, which I do not believe is the case.

Not flaming anyone just my opinion, I am sure that your intentions were pure.

please do not take this the wrong way but you should not mention others in your complaints to ironmind.  The comment about Heath makes it sound like he has been complaining, which I do not believe is the case.

Not flaming anyone just my opinion, I am sure that your intentions were pure.

I didn't get that whatsoever. But, probably because I know what happened. :)