Ironmind News.

2strong

C'mon guys, who gives a rats ass about earning the right to call yourself a "Captain of Crush"? That's a cheesy title if I've ever heard one! No one I know besides sybersnott has ever introduced themselves as a certified CoC.

Don't put down the previous #3 closers because of a change of rules.

Dan,

I have said I was a "certified COC" on other forums for the simple reason people on those other forums don't know who I am; hence I let them know, which I think is only fair.

If you don't, you'll get the following - it happened to me: I went to a forum and responded to a post about - what else? - the grippers. It was a forum that I was new to and nobody there knew who I was. The response was, "Oh yeah, what do you know about it... blah blah blah". So just to shut them up, I told them WHO I was and that I was certified.

I did wear my COC t-shirt to the GNC this past November and most people there didn't have a clue - nor did I go around telling people "WHO" I was. BTW, wearing it I happened to meet Mary McConnaughhey who stopped me and asked me about it. Otherwise, she would of walked on by and nothing would of transpired.

So, let's talk about what the COC certification is worth TODAY as opposed to what it was worth before the rule change. I agree, it probably means nothing now that the new rule is in place.

As for me, I'm moving on. I'm currently gunning for the MM1 cert and I hope to do that soon. Will I train no set closes? Yes, I already have. I also want to train other things and not just the grippers.

Just for the record: when I did cert, I didn't use some "ridiculous" set on the gripper as Strossen might suggest - BUT I did "set" the gripper. So sue me.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

I'm not going to pursue the certification with Ironmind now, when I close the

#3 I will close it for myself. If I want to be certified I will work towards the

Mash Monster cert. Mr. Strossen's rule change is a bad and unnecessary

change. I believe a 4 minute mile was/is considered a great accomplishment,

now that a greater number of people can do it shouldn't a change to a mile

and a quarter be in order? So many people can dunk a basketball I think

the hoop should be raised a foot or two. Big hands or small, heavyweight or

lightweight, closing the #3 seemed very special and still is but certifying now

with Mr. Strossen is LESS special than it was before. The handles still touch

don't they? And while I'm ranting I think Ironmind's lack of support for this

forum and the good people on it is shameful.

Tom I try to understand where you are coming from on your post but let's consider....The mile(5280 feet)run is a set distance for all men with all different body types and leg length to run just as a standard #3 gripper dimentions have remained the same for years for men of all body and hand sizes to close.It is a standard, a test just as the mile run is. Because you might have shorter legs would it be fair or even considered to let you run a shorter distance and STILL call it a 4 minute mile? Conversly, since I have long arms and I am tall so shouldn't I be given consideration in the squat, benchpress, and deadlift since I have to lift it farther and thus be allowed to lift the weight a distance the same as one of my shorter bretheren.So then a half lift for me would be fine I guess....I think not !Simply stated each "athletic" sport or challenge has good and bad points for each and every one of us so..if we find merit in the task just have at it and do the best you can!

When we have the opportunity to make things equal for all... why not do it ?

And I can't understand why people compares grippers to other sports, when they really are not comparable ?

You can't take 1km and make it 1/2km for others in running, but you can set the gripper so all have a equal starting position !

You can't take 1km and make it 1/2km for others in running, but you can set the gripper so all have a equal starting position !

Amen :bow

#3 grippers are anything but standard, they vary considerably. You need constants for accurate comparisons.

True !

But that is something we can't do anything about ( Besides the MM certification... which is equal for all ).

Tom I try to understand where you are coming from on your post but let's consider....The mile(5280 feet)run is a set distance for all men with all different body types and leg length to run just as a standard #3 gripper dimentions have remained the same for years for men of all body and hand sizes to close.It is a standard, a test just as the mile run is. Because you might have shorter legs would it be fair or even considered to let you run a shorter distance and STILL call it a 4 minute mile? Conversly, since I have long arms and I am tall so shouldn't I be given consideration in the squat, benchpress, and deadlift since I have to lift it farther and thus be allowed to lift the weight a distance the same as one of my shorter bretheren.So then a half lift for me would be fine I guess....I think not !Simply stated each "athletic" sport or challenge has good and bad points for each and every one of us so..if we find merit in the task just have at it and do the best you can!

Changing a rule this drastic in the middle of the game is the problem. If when i STARTED playing with grippers a year and a half ago and then the rule was 2 1/8'' set i would know this is a big hand game and wouldn't have tried but without the rule i got into it and did well and now i enjoy it. Then they change the rule ( NOT make the grippers more consistant)just change the rule. So should i move on or play in a game that i so love but now have an even bigger disadvantage.Me quit ,move on I DON'T THINK SO. Maybe had i known these ridiculus rules before i wouldn't have tried. Like the reason i don't play BASKETBALL is i'm to short.

Oh and the excuse, that everyone has a credit card is a copout the rule was an 1''

I'll bet its easier to get a quarter (1'') than a credit card. I'll give the advantage at 1'' but i can't give the advantage to fight TYSON with NO ARMS ( or gun :D )

Bill I think it's time to blast this thread into oblivion.