Ironmind News.

2strong

yes it is, to most of my friend I have big hands and they are only 7 3/4.

thus you being a thickbar daddy as well. lol

Edited by dubthewonderscot

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

Bill : that would be GREAT ! :cool

As a side note : would have Joe Kinney met the qualifications ? It's hard to tell but that doesn't seem completely farfetched judging by his video ?

One or two of the replies seem to think some of the 'old CoC' used a set. Most of us didn't. It's mostly the current crop of guys coming from the board who learnt about 'setting'. I closed mine without a set and yes I have large hands and even with a set could use the new rule - no problem.

Let's focus on training the full range.

It's easy to say this Steve when your hand is big enough. :)

When a no set is basically a "set" with a hand big enough! :cool

Is 8 and a 1/2" big??

The only way I would know is measuring it in person. Everyone has a small hand after all! :laugh

Even a 1/4" can be significant.

Ok - so like a post some time this week of mine - train to beat the new rules. There might be a certain smug satisfaction from telling Randall 'it don't matter what you do, that gripper is going down! Now hand me the certificate ass wipe!'

One or two of the replies seem to think some of the 'old CoC' used a set. Most of us didn't. It's mostly the current crop of guys coming from the board who learnt about 'setting'. I closed mine without a set and yes I have large hands and even with a set could use the new rule - no problem.

Let's focus on training the full range.

It's easy to say this Steve when your hand is big enough. :)

When a no set is basically a "set" with a hand big enough! :cool

Is 8 and a 1/2" big??

Whose talking about my hand ;)

I think Joe would make it.

To hell with those bastards. We have the board cert and Warren Tettings new cert to shoot for.

Warren Tetting's cert was going to be no-set. I believe he was offering some narrower grippers for small handed people.

I honestly think a three finger close would work for a small handed person. Samuelson managed to close the #4 with three fingers and IIRC, Sorin has closed a #3 with two.

For the record I can only get three fingers on the gripper at the start of the no-set (hand size <8"). I can currently no-set and close the BBSM and I am 1/4" from closing the Coc#3. My best attempt with a set is 1/8" on the #3.

Mobster,

I suspected the early Coc's were not using a set. It sounds like the gripboard no set list should be updated.

Robert

To hell with those bastards. We have the board cert and Warren Tettings new cert to shoot for.

Warren Tetting's cert was going to be no-set. I believe he was offering some narrower grippers for small handed people.

I honestly think a three finger close would work for a small handed person. Samuelson managed to close the #4 with three fingers and IIRC, Sorin has closed a #3 with two.

For the record I can only get three fingers on the gripper at the start of the no-set (hand size <8"). I can currently no-set and close the BBSM and I am 1/4" from closing the Coc#3. My best attempt with a set is 1/8" on the #3.

Mobster,

I suspected the early Coc's were not using a set. It sounds like the gripboard no set list should be updated.

Robert

Blimey u must have three fat/thick fingers!!

Ok although it took me three goes in a little over 2 minutes ( I trained grippers this morning also) I just managed a slight set, credit card width close of a CoC 3.

Us 'old uns' have still got it :D

I agree this rule change is lame.

But in my opinion, bad news for COC, good news for Mash Monster! :yikes

The way I see it, the COC list is an antique that is having problems keeping up with the times. The Mash Monster list is doing things right and will quickly make themselves more relevant to today's grip world.

What a bunch of bullshit. I'm not trying to get certified any more. Truth be told, I was going to certify in 8 days at Northern California's Strongest Man but now have no desire to change my training to jump through more hoops. I can't close the #4 like this (no surprise there!) and doubt that there is a single active gripster out there right now who can. Using the 1" set rule (or cheating it down to parallel), I can get the thing shut more often than not, and I've already got two witnesses and video to say I've done it, so I really don't need any other kind of confirmation that I can close it.

Well, I've been looking for a reason to put down the grippers for some time now and this is as good as any. Time to work on my pinch and some bending!

Edited by ClayEdgin

26 members right now are looking and 500 + views already - wow. This is a hotty!

Well this pisses me off big time. I've been working hard on my grippers and was about ready to start the road for the the #3 certification. Now it seems useless. My hands are 7 3/4" but guess what my middle finger is under 3" I have very small fingers which makes all the no sets and now this new rule very difficult. I was really wanting that hat and t-shirt too. Damn Ironmind!!!! I just don't see how it's fair to all the up and coming gripsters but as the saying goes lifes not fair.

Bill get that MMG out for ppl to shoot for. Atleast the gripboard has good enough standards not to go changing the damn rules on us. IM cert now means nothing i'd rather have the respect from the ppl on this board. Where it's all fair and equal

Blimey u must have three fat/thick fingers!!

Ok although it took me three goes in a little over 2 minutes ( I trained grippers this morning also) I just managed a slight set, credit card width close of a CoC 3.

Us 'old uns' have still got it :D

I meant that my pinky can't reach at the start of the close! I wrap it around as I get near parallel with the handles.

Given this new change do you think we could add a mash monster level that is = to the #3 so that those who want to cert on a gripper like the #3 can.

Oh most definitely. This opens the door for this. A gripper lower than than the MMG1. Most likely just call it the MMG.

We'll wait to see if the rule changes yet again in the next day or so. ;)

Jeff P, I will be contacting you soon about the MMG3 and now the potential for MMG.

This is great, don't let rule changes affect your decision to implement this.

I am now offering credit cards that are only as wide as the magnetic strip on the current more famous cards.

Apply today!

For the record I can only get three fingers on the gripper at the start of the no-set (hand size <8").

Must be nice to be able to get three fingers on the gripper no set, i can get most of my index finger and some of my middle finger on it. Speaking of which, where's that emoticon to tell Randy how i feel about this?

Grippers now work my pinch grip...

Correction...I just remeasured...My left hand is 7 and 1/4 not 7 and 1/2.

btw...Moberstone...Your hands a Freakin' huge compared too mine.

I am going to go cry like a little girl now.

:cry:cry:cry

Sorry Clay I know this really sucks for you and all the guys so close to the #4.

Just sucks to train so hard for something like this and have the rug yanked out from under you. I feel like this with the #3. Something me and my son had been training for for several months. To one day maybe be on the COC list as father and son. And try and get certified together. He had recently closed our pda .280.

Now this CRAZY rule change comes into effect. I don't care if the rule changes again back to like it was. Or what IM does.

I just emailed IM telling this what a dumb rule this is and how I have no use for their products anymore. If anyone else feels the same, email them also it can't hurt. The people must be heard :rock O by the way for those out there who can close the #3 like this :bow

This is a shame and I would expect better from them. I don't get it, if they are going to change the rule like this after so many years, why doesn't Ironmind just start producing all their COC grippers with a 2" handle spread(i'm guessing the width of a credit card) and use a no set rule?

Alright!! I can cross something else off of my new years resolutions. I was going to buy a TTK to work my thumb harder trying to close the number three this year. Now I am thinking of just falling back and working with block weights. The sad thing is Ironmind is changing the rules now that the certification process is so popular.

One of the first rules of business is not to discourage the customer from buying. Certification should be to congratulate your customers for completing a difficult task with something that they purchased from your company.

Even if you don't like the direction things have taken you must stick by the rules you set. If you change the rules you risk offending the people who previously closed the grippers. Then your word of mouth advertising goes in the toilet.

I actually have real question:

With this rule, are we allowed to set the gripper deep, close it, and THEN open it wide enough for the credit card? Reshutting it of course after the credit card distance.

Doing it like this I can actually keep the gripper somewhat in place in my hand. We should be able to force close the gripper (as deep a set as you want) as long as its opened back up again for the offical close right? Congrats to those that certed before this!

What it boils down to is that what's pissing people off is that it's changing mid-stream. People are having it "snatched from their grasp" so to speak. Stupid analogy time. The height limit for the roller coaster was 48", there was a rush of people so he raised the height limit to 54", even though the majority of the people already on were 48" If I'm 53" tall and I'm getting sent home while the 48"ers are waving at me from teh front car, I'm not a happy camper.

I suppose I'll go ahead and be the first a-hole to say that if the new rule is the new rule, he better clean house. No offense to the people who have certed on the #3, but if you can't no-set, apparently you don't belong on that list anymore. Sorry. Don't feel bad, you're not alone. :dry

I think a few guys have allready mentioned it but i think it needs to be mentioned again.

If you don't like this rule then let ironmind know about it. We as the customers have a ton of imfluential power. If enough people threaten to boycott their products then they will listen. And if they don't, screw em.