• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Wood

• Dan Cenidoza

• Bearcat 74

• smitty

Congratulations on your #4 close Heath :bow:bow:bow:bow . I can't believe you got railroaded like that. Strossen must have pretty sharp eyes to be able to tell that you set it too deep even though you didn't pause and I'm guessing he didn't measure it. That sure was nice of him to call you for depth after you closed it and not as soon as you set it. Maybe he's buying time for one of the Holles to get on the list ahead of you :D

Heath has one of the strictest sets I've seen. In fact, I believe that's what has been holding him off -- he's gotten more strict on the set and even though he's been working on that last bit for awhile, he's gotten stronger.

As usual, with great respect to my good friend: HYRDAULIC HEATH!!

:rock

Heath, Congrats on the #4 certified or not. You are an inspiration and teacher to many here who appreceate you, even though we never met.

Bill hit it right on the head. His set is always well withing limits and just watching his videos proves that. Heath congrats again and proud to call you a friend!

Austin

Heath, congratulations on a job well done. And I'm sorry about your close being denied as valid.

Congratulations on your #4 close Heath ! :bow

I'm sending some pics to wannagrip now, too bad I didn't get one of Heath's #4 closes... congrats either way my friend.

I'm sorry I don't have more pictures, my brother was the camera man most of the time. Plus a lot of the ones that were taken didn't come out.

I'm sorry I don't have more pictures, my brother was the camera man most of the time. Plus a lot of the ones that were taken didn't come out.

Dan, just tell me he didn't run out of memory because of all the fitness babe pictures :whistel

Both Heath and Benny closing the four in front of witnesses in just a few days and neither getting certified??!!

Seems like Strossen has become quite strict recently!

Nils

BIG CONGRATS Heath for that #4 close in front of many credible witnesses !! :bow:bow

There should be "gripboard certified #4 closer" under your name... Of course it would be pointless since we all know very well what you are capable of.

Amaury.

Thanks guys.

I just hope Benny passes his cert with flying colors. He's certainly the real deal.

I finally got a chance to talk awhile with mom and dad. I would like to thank everyone for how they treated them. Everyone there, especially the Crew, Dan, and John are the talk of the town. Dad is telling everyone about you guys. Both of them said they had the best time they can remember in years. Roger, they also wanted me to thank you for putting it on.

I'm back from my mini-vacation, and boy am I whooped! What a crazy time! First, foremost, and above all, I am honored to have met those in attendance on Friday night. It was an absolute circus!

Rick & Amy, Dan, Jedd, Smitty, Shrug, Incindium, and others, it was a great pleasure to meet you all. I was blown away by actually seeing the craziness that I only hear about here online. John, Kim, Bert, Richard, Pat, Heath, et al, it's guaranteed scary when everyone gets together. And most of all, Roger, what a great thing you've accomplished. The "Cyber" in "Cyberpump" is what it is, this was the "Real-Live Pump", and you pulled it off masterfully!

First, I'm in the hotel second floor looking for the correct room. I turn around, and there is Roger with about 15 large men and one woman walking in my direction, most in black and green T-shirts, all carrying Subway sandwiches. I bet Subway had to run out for more food!

Walking into the room was a delight! There, in the corner, were dozens of training implements, begging to be hoisted and gripped. While food was being consumed, Kim Wood took the lead and made us all introduce ourselves. He is a great guy, funny as anything, and one you wouldn't strip naked and throw into a room (inside joke). OK, maybe you would. Anyhow, he got the gang interacting.

After food, we moved to the implements. It's funny, this group of guys. If something had a handle, the handle was summarily dismissed, unless there was another thing with a handle that could somehow be gripped together with the first. Objects were pinched, gripped, tossed, and generally lifted in ways never intended by their creators. Roger was very busy with his camera. Kim would joke and say, "Why not try... blah blah blah...with an implement", just kidding, and someone would actually go over and do it. He just laughed and shook his head the whole night. John Wood could have put holes in the ceiling and the ceiling above that the way he was cleaning 55-lb anvils. My favorite "event" was the "lay-down-and-lock-the-120-lb-thickhandled-dumbell-over-your-head-then-get-up-without-using-your-other-arm-as-a-brace-and-then-lay-back-down" lift. What a sight! The one arm zerchers were crazy. Pavel Tsatsouline was trying them, and he looked thoroughly embarrased and frustrated when he couldn't. I didn't see if he ever got it. Then there was Shrug. What can one say about the man-monster? He was wrist-curling the above mentioned dumbbell for rep after rep, multiple sets. 18" forearms have to be seen to be believed.

Authors note: the Diesel Crew had had a four-hour workout the previous day. This all happened after a workout like that, and a long drive. Also to be noted, we were on the second floor of a hotel. Everyone was trying to be quiet and not let weights hit the floor hard. Except for Pavel. If we had been on a more sturdy surface, it would have been even more crazy.

I played with the equipment early, before too many people got there. I am not a weightlifter, and stayed away from trying most of what the others were doing. I mainly focused on grip. I had brought my grippers, T - 4 plus a PDA gripper. Many tried them through the time I was there. I brought a few decks of cards, ripped three that night, and six over the whole weekend. I still can't quarter a deck. Grrrr. My back was bothering me. I think the long drive aggravated it. The Iron Halo didn't help. For those not there, the Iron Halo is basically a 60-70 lb iron ring that supports a manhole cover, with handles. It's awkward, and as I was letting it down I twisted wrong. Then I went to try a farmer's "stand" with the dumbbells, and said, "Nope. I'm done." So I stayed out of the way of the lifters, and talked grippers and card tearing with a lot of people.

The greatest part of the night for me was my boys' involvement. Bob is 11, Alex is 9. They were so excited because they were actually allowed to touch the equipment. They were trying everything in sight. This was before too many people got there. It actually felt like their night instead of mine. Roger took some pictures, and they may end up on his website. Also, the folks from Tiger Claw, an event sponsor?, took their picture and they may end up in Kung Fu Magazine. I am waiting to get my pictures developed, and my website up. Grrrrrr. I'm gonna scream at my website provider, again, when I am done here. Alex said he enjoyed this year because he got to touch stuff. He also wants to be the youngest on record to close any Ironmind Gripper. The Trainer at 10 is his goal now. I gave him my Ivanko SuperGripper to train on. Bob wanted to deadlift a shot-loadable barbell, but I couldn't instruct him in proper technique. I looked around, and Roger was nearby. He graciously gave Bob some instruction, and Bob deadlifted the barbell, double overhand. Maybe someday Bob will realize how incredible that is, getting personal instruction from Roger LaPointe.

Pat got busy doing his bending. The Reds dropped like wet noodles. Oh, don't forget all the weight strapped to his head during the bend. To any outsider, Pat would look terminally insane. Well, really, he looks that way anyways. What can be said except, "Pat, you are terminally insane."

Heath, you are the man. I hope that look I saw Friday night didn't stay long. You are a four-closer, and we all know it.

I left early. It was a three hour drive to Indianapolis, and I needed to get on the road before I got too tired. It's probably a good thing I didn't stay, or this post would be pages long. I saw the hand-health fingers guy as I was leaving. That was cool. I need to check his site. Randy Strossen, Terry Todd, and a few others were having an in-depth discussion. Randy invited me to join, and I can't believe I turned him down, but I wanted to get to my parents house before midnight.

Roger.....Next Year.....Need More Space.....A First Floor Suite.....And Nothing Else. Thank You for a most incredible evening.

Alan, Bob, and Alex

Q: Did anyone happen to get a "group photo" of the GripBoard members??

I wasn't even there, but wished I could have been. But I've heard enough from people that were there, mainly Kim Wood, and I have to say that all of us in the sport owe Roger a big thank you for putting this on. The man had to lay out some serious bucks and energy to do this. I for one am certainly going to give him serious consideration for future business. And no, I don't work for Roger, nor have I even met him. I just know that he's started one great tradition. Hopefully, we can get something like this out in northern California--we're starved for great stuff like this. Hope we're going to see lots of pictures and videos of this on the Board. :D

Nice report Alan. You must have missed it, Paval did end up getting the one arm zercher.

Yes snott, I sent a group photo in to wannagrip already, along with a few others... just waiting for him to post them. I included one of "the worlds tallest fitness model" for Pat. She stood about 6'4" with her heels on!

It was great seeing Alan again, and I have to tell you his boys were the talk of the town. These guys are the future warriors of the grip/strength world. No quit in them at all!

Roger did a hell of a job! The precedent has been set, next time around I hope many more attend. I also hope everyone gets there early, so John, Heath, Roger, and I don't have to suffer alone lugging all that great equipment around. :D

Heath,

Congrats on your #4 close!!!!!! :rock:rock:rock:rock

Alan's kids may have done more lifting than anyone there. Everytime I turned around they were doing movements with the stone padlocks or doing lockouts with the globe dumbbells and barbells. I bet they got sore.

Dave Cenidoza, Dan's brother, is one to watch out for as well.

I would like to thank everybody for the kind words. I'm glad everyone had fun, I know I did. I would really like to thank a few instrumental people for being able to pull it off. Kim Wood, and John Wood, for their endless enthusiasm, and hours of help and use of equipment; Pat "Terminator" Povilaitis and Heath Sexton for set-up and tear down, as well as a host of others-you know who you are. The energy and enthusiasm in the Night of Strength II room was explosive and catchy. I would also like to thank the Grip Board for the publicity. Everyone there did a fantastic job of making the world of strength a little more real, and a lot more fun than just a cyberspace thing. Congrats to all. Give me a call or send a message if you have photos or video footage you would like to contribute to the Atomic Athletic Rogues Gallery.

Live strong,

Roger LaPointe

PS If anyone wants to really make their girlfriend happy with a cool surprise, have Pat bend them a "Heart of Palm". He bends horse shoes into the shape of a heart, by hand. How cool is that?!!!