Weaver stick standards and best performances.

Guest Vince_Basile

Guest 86-1005097353

Nick McKinless recently described the dimensions of a Weaver stick. The dimensions seem to be different from what I recall from the good old days. I thought the stick was a metre long and had a grip 100 mm from the end. Is there a current agreed upon standard for the Weaver stick?

I remember John Grimek being credited with having lifted 11.5 pounds on that apparatus. Recently Joe Roark suggested that there might have been some controversy about the way Grimek performed that feat.

Are there records in this event and who are the best and what did they lift? A top 10 or even top 20 would be interesting.

We used to have contests with the stick and very few people could lift 5 pounds. I think the best in the gym was something like 6 1/4 pounds. That means anything over 7 pounds is outstanding. Is that what others have found?

Is the IGC going to post lists of the best performances in each of the grip events? I realise some events will have to have particulars mentioned if that makes a difference. At the moment only the grippers seem to have lists of people doing the #3. There is also an anecdotal list of men who have succeeded with the Inch Dumbbell.

I think if we have standards of excellence in each of the events it will motivate enthusiasts to try to get on those lists. For example, on my pinch grip machine I would set the excellence standard at 70 kg.  With other pinch events the kg would be set much lower. The idea would be to occasionally update the standards if too many people are succeeding. Or there could be additional categories of excellence just like there is for those grippers. The idea is to reward and recognize individuals for achievements in grip strength. Having a top 10 list is the least that should be available.

Guest Luke Reimer

The lists might not be a bad idea. Whether or not it would actually draw more people out to competitions so their personal bests could be verified and go on record is an interesting question.

Anway, I'm curious about weaver stick records too. I just went out and made myself a weaver stick and have established some starting numbers for myself.  I see Steve Garnder has the record of 7.55 kg to the rear (wow!).  What is the record to the front? And Vince, when you were sharing about weaver stick lifts in your gym, were those to the front or to the rear?

This is something for the future of the IGC.  We first started talking about the grippers, that is the first order of business.  Next will probably  be pinching and thick bar lifting.  I have leverage lifting on the draft web pages that I am creating, but I see that at least 6 months from now for the creation of a list of top performances.  Many things will be speeded up if gripper certification list goes smoothly (which it may not :))  I think Weaver didn't like the reverse lift, but I'm sure Roark will fill you in on this better.

Vince,

Try going to USAWA's site at

www.usawa.com

They have a comprehensive list of lifts and rules. Just go to the Rules section and check it out. There is a entry for the Weaver Stick under Section F Special Equipment Lifts.

There are records on the lift. There are others out there better equipped than me to answer this. But I think the current record belongs to Steve Gardner with 7.55kg, which is a little over 16.5 lbs.

Arthur