Gripper calibration

3Crusher

Wannagrip put together a post awhile back concerning gripper calibration measurements.  He was able to put up quite a few numbers that were provided to him.  Has anybody else had their grippers calibrated but not reported it to Wannagrip as of yet?  Let's keep the list growing as we get more data in (if there is more data to report).

How about Snott?  Snott?  You are one of the more vocal members here. Did you get yours measured?

You guys are keeping up with me!  Just so happens I have cataloged all my grippers, and am sending them off next week.  I have 15 grippers going to PDA.... I'll report the results when I get them back.  :)

Guest Luke Reimer

I have my grippers back now and their numbers. The reason I never posted them right away is that I lacked the handle measurements (I never realized I would have to do this part myself). Here are PDA's numbers, with my measurements following in brackets:

3 - 401, 28, 13, 283, 8.7   [5 7/16"]

E seasoned - 423, 27, 15, 295, 9.1 [5 1/4"]

E - 451, 30, 15, 295, 9.0 [5 1/4"]

3 filed 1/2" - 470, 28, 15, 290 (!), 8.1 (seems to verify the 'file the handle => increase IP) [4 31/32"]

4 seasoned - 541, 30, 15, 312, 9.6 (squeaky boy) [5 31/64"]

4 - 556, 31, 16, 312, 9.6 [5 1/2"]

Luke, can you give a legend for the numbers? I want to include that.  In other words, what are the numbers in the row?  Included angle, etc. etc. Thanks.

Guest Luke Reimer

Here is the legend for the numbers: IP, included angles, skew, wire diameter in thousandths of an inch, weight in ounces, [total grippper length by my measure].

Luke,

You wrote "3 filed 1/2" - 470, 28, 15, 290 (!), 8.1 (seems to verify the 'file the handle => increase IP) [4 31/32"]".

I'm glad you tested a modified gripper.  John S. mentioned to me once that he wasn't sure if the machine could handle a shorter than average gripper.  Hmmm, a 70-pound increase over the current "average" #3 of around 400 inch-pounds.  My guess would have been that -3/8" would be an Elite, so I'm not that far off.

Guest Luke Reimer

Tom,

I should say something about that IM3 that I cut down--it definitely does not have the feel that its numbers would suggest. It feels more like the 423 Elite, maybe even a smidge easier. I still have not been able to account for it's high spring rating.

The good news is that the grippers of more normal length have a feel that is quite proportional to their assigned spring ratings (or adjusted ones, where necessary for proper comparisons).