Samuelsson Closes The #4 Gripper

Griparn

Tom, the 3-finger #4 close is probably not far out of reach for the current batch of #4 closers. For some, it may even be a benefit to train with 3 fingers. The first time I tried it with a #4 I was surprised how far I got it. My sweep was a lot stronger. I've trained with 3 fingers on occasion for variety, but it has torn a good size chunk out of my ring finger near the crease! Not fun.

Congrats again to Magnus for his world-class feat.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Tom of Iowa2

• Matt Van Weele

• The Mac

Tom I think his 97 4 would be a single stamped. I wonder how hard it is?

I like that clip of Magnus and Nathan. As far as all upper and no legs it was more like all arms and not much of anything else.

Magnus is indeed a monster. Both for his WSM, rolling thunder lift, and 4 close.

That video clip makes me sick. I still cringe when I hear branches break-cause that's what mine sounded like. I don't think Jones was necessarily the weaker, he just didn't have the technique that magnus did. But I shouldn't talk technique 'cause last time I arm wrestled I broke my humerus.

Jones was definately the weaker,(Arm Wise) look how magnus just tosses his wrist back and opens his hand anybody who arm wrestles knows that it takes alot of wrist power to tilt the wrist back so fast. One you got it back thats where the technique and leverage come into play. Though I admit that Jones' shoulder must have mad power since his arm itself didnt budge after Magnus had the leverage (Well until it snapped of course ) :D

Actually Darco I would have to disagree with you. That video shows me, an experienced armwrestler, that Nathan Jones did have more power in his upper arms. Magnus had more power in his hand and wrist and was able to take controll of megamans hand. I see this all the time. From the clip I noticed that on the setup magnus posted very high. This tells me right off that magnus was planning on targeting the hand the whole time. He also used a good amount of back pressure which suggests to me he knew better than to go inside with megaman. Technically it looks like a very sound pull.

What does Magnus pull on the RT?

Officially.In contest conditions. 262#lbs.

He briefly :D held the OFFICIAL world record.

It is now 267#-held by a strongman from Estonia.This is Iron Minds official record and in Iron minds official contests.

I 'd say-officially and otherwise-except for the pinch- Magnus has really proven himself.He's always demonstrated a pretty 'fair' :inno supporting grip in the farmers walk and the hercules hold also. :rock

Closing 3 seperate #4's and one of them-possibly-a single stamped.WOW.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I like that clip of Magnus and Nathan. As far as all upper and no legs it was more like all arms and not much of anything else.

Interesting thought.

Magnus(according to the weight announced at that WSM)weighed in the high 260's in those days!? :blink And the Megaman weighed 365# and had been as heavy as 380#.

I think a few issues back in M I L O they said he did 130kg or about 285lb at a exhibition he did a few weeks after he did his 262 in Vegas.

Hi,

I am a bit new at the gripper scene, can someone explain the difference between a single and double stamped gripper?

:whacked

Single has a number stamped on just one end of the handles and double like the new ones have a number on the end of each handle.

It all depends. Thats just the way they were made. I beleive Strossen went back to the double becuase it was easier to get a pic of the numbers showing. The way they were stamped has nothing to do with strength though.

I think a few issues back in M I L O they said he did 130kg or about 285lb at a exhibition he did a few weeks after he did his 262 in Vegas.

Tom, Matt, thanks for the answer - that's a crazy amount of wieght! I thought that IM was nuts for their 300lb challenge until I tried the RT. Magnus is a stud :rock

I read the contest report Wade wrote in M I L O and the way it sounded Magnus smoked the 262 and did a partial high pull type move with it. I think if he trained on the RT 300 would fall to him pretty quick.

Guest gripmaster316
Actually I seem to recall Magnus was amazed at how effective Nathan was on the table - even though he had very little "technique" and was all power. Every time I see that clip it still strikes me as one of the top tem WSM moments.

I also remember that was Magnus first year at WSM...

All power means nothing in arm wrestling. If your in a posting toproll that is over the top you might as well give up. As you can see what happens if you don't. He shouldn't have tried to pull Magnus' arm over when his wrist was bent like that... that can equal some pain. Did he suffer a radial facture? Or was it something else? Jones had absolutely no technique... trying to pull someone to a win with a bent wrist is not the best of ideas.

Edited by gripmaster316

I'm almost 100% sure it was a spiral fracture of the upper arm (humerus).

Gripmaster I will have to disagree with you too. First all power can mean an aweful lot in armwrestling. If you know anything about gary goodridge, Cleve Dean, or even Travis Bagent you will see my point. Its not that they didnt have good technique its that they were just too powerful for their opponents. If you are in a poting toproll that has taken your hand you shouldnt give up. I have yet to meet a professional puller (and I know plenty) who would give up in this position. In fact I can name a couple pullers who are previous national champ whom prefer this position. Marc Gaeta, a great puller from New England ends up this way in a lot of his matches and usually uses a tricep press to get the win. I have won plenty matches myself with my wrist in that position. Nathan Jonses arm broke because he went into break-arm position. It has absolutely nothing to do with the wrist. And yes it would have been a spiral fracture.

Spiral fracture, if my 8 year memory is holding.

Essentially he was never the same after that.In the tapes I saw-Before the 'accident'-he looked destined to be,perhaps, WSM someday.After the accident he had a hell of a time locking anything out with that arm.

I watched one of the old IM tapes where he won a big contest in Scotland...this tape was before the broken arm.He was powerful and athletic.Beat some big names....of that era.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

mav

although i haven't seen the video (if anyone can post a link that would be great!), it almost sounds like he was in a break arm position and did not (or could not) get his body behind his arm, therefore tried to hold in a breakarm, or the match (ie. break) was so quick that he did not have the time.

here is an example of Sylvain Perron pushing with a bent wrist, this is the push that you were talking about using, right? (the ninth pic down shows Sylvain on the right)

http://www.pinarm.com/Results/2002/2002120...opy%2817%29.htm

i see Sylvain press with a bent wrist in a lot of pics and he seems to do quite well with it.

CJ

I said several years ago Magnus was my pick for a number 4 closer...There is a lot more there too. He is a fine man, a good friend, and a real strongman........I couldn't be more pleased! RS

Gripmaster I will have to disagree with you too.  First all power can mean an aweful lot in armwrestling.  If you know anything about gary goodridge

Too bad he sucks at pride fighting!! :D:D:D:happy:yikes:whistel

Edited by Strong Man