Samuelsson Closes The #4 Gripper

Griparn

Just to prove the point I made about getting lots of inside info. Here's a PM I just received from a member:

As I alluded to before, passing the easy fours is in fact happening. Real easy fours!

So, Wanna, are you suggesting some sort of "con job" is going on at the moment?? I'm not being facetious - as you say you are the man in the middle and I would just like to know.

Congrats to Magnus!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Tom of Iowa2

• Matt Van Weele

• The Mac

Ok, someone on this board got all irate with me about asking for the gripper to try, etc.

There is NO question Tommy is super strong. In fact, I have a partial hand two 45lb pinch picture we were messing with trying to get it uploaded to the gallery. That's HUGE!

I was genuinely curious about trying the same gripper he certified on. I have heard Kinney's was a beast. We really haven't heard much about the other #4's used to certify. Heck, don't send it to me, send it to someone else to try too. So, I was not doubting Tommy's grip strength! The big part is figuring out where it all sits in the realm of the top crushers. There's no way to tell!

He's already going to be in the MM game and indicated he'll be jumping in. So, he's even ready to put it on the line to find out who is the ultimate best.

Anyway, this person asked me to "remove their membership" and I will comply but I did ask them to reconsider. We do have a higher standard on the gripboard and MANY tend to be skeptics. That's what sets this place apart. Many guys thrive and welcome this type of challenge. Probably because they really get to say SEE, look at THIS! :)

Just to prove the point I made about getting lots of inside info. Here's a PM I just received from a member:

As I alluded to before, passing the easy fours is in fact happening. Real easy fours!

So, Wanna, are you suggesting some sort of "con job" is going on at the moment?? I'm not being facetious - as you say you are the man in the middle and I would just like to know.

Congrats to Magnus!!

Not at all. See my other post above. I've said it before and I will say it again:

There is NO SUCH THING AS AN EASY 4!!

I just wanted to point out how I tend to be in the middle of a lot of information that goes on behind the scenes.

I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on. :)

Really cool to see more #4 closers, it really does make it easier mentally for all other crazy grip guys who one day would like to close it. If they can do it, so can I, etc.

Magnus certified on the #3 in 1998 right? If he bought a #4 at that time his gripper is probably single stamped. Jim Gahnfelt can probably remember how Magnus #4 was stamped?

The #4 Magnus closed when I visited him was mine. It's double stamped, bought in january 2003.

I'm sure he closed it with three fingers, since that's the way he closes grippers. As someone else pointed a couple of weeks ago - there is a picture i the Cyberpump gallery (among the Sorin pictures, I think) of Magnus closing the #3 in the same way.

Congratulations to Magnus! :bow:bow:bow

//Jim Gahnfelt

IF CoC manufacturing errors can be off by +- 10% due to accumulated manufacturing tolerances in the various parameters that comprise grippers, THEN an "easy" #4 might be rated at ~330lbs force-to-close. Note, a "hard" CoC #3 would rate ~310lbs.

Given, for the majority of gripsters any #4 is unimaginably difficult. But, for a fellow like Kinney an "easy" #4 (in the above 10% sense) will indeed feel "easy" for him. Thus, at or near his level, "easy" and "hard" discrepancies are important for meaningful comparison of strength.

Thus, there is indeed a justified concern about the relative merit of closing a #3 versus a #4... the Mash Monster process will remedy this apparent dilution of accomplishment and will probably displace CoC certification. But, regardless, relative to my innate level of grip strength, anyone closing a #3 or a #4 ("easy" or "hard") is an immense accomplishment!

The #4 Magnus closed when I visited him was mine. It's double stamped, bought in january 2003.

Soooo....unless he actually certified on your gripper??(which apparently he didn't) Samuelson has then -in front of seperate,impartial, witnesses-closed 2 seperate #4's.HOW MANY OTHERS HAVE DONE THAT?Key word impartial witness.

And closed them both with 3 fingers. :yikes

IMO-very impressive.......well documented and impartial witness's.

Perhaps if folks are worried about Samuelsons power they can send him another #4 and he will likely close a third #4??......with 3 fingers :yikes

I too would like to see Samuelson clean and press the INCH(he is a great presser especially for such a tall man)and maybe somebody could send him a blob?

Again,Samuelson is very good for the sport of grip as he has HUGE credibility as a former WSM and is a (relatively speaking)'famous'athlete.He May?indirectly bring more publicity to the game...and draw in some more WSM type competitors to grip.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I don't know if 3 fingers isn't easier than 4, because the pinky is useless and when you bring the three STRONGER fingers down your getting MORE leverage to the

END of the handles. I think if you started training setting that way you might see more strength at closing.IMO

Thus, there is indeed a justified concern about the relative merit of closing a #3 versus a #4... the Mash Monster process will remedy this apparent dilution of accomplishment and will probably displace CoC certification. But, regardless, relative to my innate level of grip strength, anyone closing a #3 or a #4 ("easy" or "hard") is an immense accomplishment!

However, keep in mind that there are several MM grippers and they are almost certainly not identical in strength, hopefully very very close but not identical. Parallell to the MM certifications there will also be the opportunity to close grippers rated by the LGC system, which will also be used, I believe, at the BFGS II (besides the Swedish comps., Brittish Championship and the 2004 Europeans). It would be good if we could link the MM grippers to the LGC grippers. I have three calibrated BBE that probably includes grippers above and below the MM1. We would need someone for which the MM1 is very close to being shut (no more than 1-2 mm).

However, keep in mind that there are several MM grippers and they are almost certainly not identical in strength, hopefully very very close but not identical.

Actually, there are only three MM1 grippers. These 3 were made all at once, tested, etc. If someone can tell the difference between these 3, I'd be shocked. All of those that tested them could not tell the difference. :)

Thats sounds good. Could the guys who tested the grippers close them? If so, it may be hard to tell the difference since closed is closed so to speak.

Not all the testers could. I was one of the testers. :)

Most could not in fact.

Ther is a reward offered to anyone finding two grippers exactly identical in every way! ;) THe MM grippers are as close as is currently possible.

way to go magnus! :rock:bow:bow

Soooo....unless he actually certified on your gripper??(which apparently he didn't) Samuelson has then -in front of seperate,impartial, witnesses-closed 2 seperate #4's.HOW MANY OTHERS HAVE DONE THAT?Key word impartial witness.

IMO-very impressive.......well documented and impartial witness's.

Perhaps if folks are worried about Samuelsons power they can send him another #4 and he will likely close a third #4??......with 3 fingers :yikes

I too would like to see Samuelson clean and press the INCH(he is a great presser especially for such a tall man)and maybe somebody could send him a blob?

Again,Samuelson is very good for the sport of grip as he has HUGE credibility as a former WSM and is a (relatively speaking)'famous'athlete.He May?indirectly bring more publicity to the game...and draw in some more WSM type competitors to grip.

And he has been a European champion in Armwrestling.

:bow

see his armwrestling clip from WSM 1995, a great technique!

I forgot just how huge Nathan Jones Used to be :whacked:ohmy , He dwarfed Magnus in height and size....just look at the arms..but we still know who was stronger and it sure as hell wasnt Nathan :happy

I'd like to see Samuelson get a crack at the MILLENIUM too.

His huge Rolling Thunder poundage and good overall body strength makes him a good candidate for this lift.......... :cool:cool

Big Congrats to the Big Swede! I'm really happy he did it officially. I would like to see what he could do with the millenium too.

I forgot just how huge Nathan Jones Used to be  , He dwarfed Magnus in height and size....just look at the arms..but we still know who was stronger and it sure as hell wasnt Nathan 

Actually I seem to recall Magnus was amazed at how effective Nathan was on the table - even though he had very little "technique" and was all power. Every time I see that clip it still strikes me as one of the top tem WSM moments.

I also remember that was Magnus first year at WSM - all upper and "no" legs, if I recall...

I think he would have a good shot at the MDB.

I like that clip of Magnus and Nathan. As far as all upper and no legs it was more like all arms and not much of anything else.

I sent Magnus a mail congratulating him for certifying on the #4 and I asked which gripper he used for his certification and he answered "I thoght it was a bit unfair to use my old #4 from -97 so I opened up a new one and squeezed on it a couple of days before the certification".

I guess that would mean it wasn't even fully seasoned yet...

//Jim

I sent Magnus a mail congratulating him for certifying on the #4 and I asked which gripper he used for his certification and he answered "I thoght it was a bit unfair to use my old #4 from -97 so I opened up a new one and squeezed on it a couple of days before the certification".

I guess that would mean it wasn't even fully seasoned yet...

//Jim

Apparently?If we can assume :cool he has closed his own #4?He has closed 3 seperate #4's?

Definitely a notable accomplishment....has anyone else closed 3 seperate #4 grippers.

Also,Maybe just a footnote now but in years to come,as more number #4's are closed? i think the 3 fingered close may also stand alone.

And what would a #4 from '97 likely be?Would that be a single stamped or a double stamped?just curious.