Bent My First Timber Tie

tmmicklabs

Here is the data from the 15lb plastic bucket of home depot timber ties.

Grip Rite Fas'ners

60d 6"

Nails

Timber Tie

15lb.

upc code = 7 64666 52565 8

Threaded shank makes for an appropriate fastener to attach landscape timbers to one another.

Coated with zinc for excellent rust resistance.

Stainless Steel or Primeguard is recommended with Cedar or Redwood

Made is U.S.A.

6HGTT15BK

Caution: You must wear safety glasses

Primesource

Building Products Inc.

Caution: You must wear safety glasses

All this time I've been bending unsafely!

Here is a pic of the 5 twist Home Depot Timber Tie.

My Precious

This thing is in a whole different league than the 8 twist timber tie I u'd that came from Lowe's via Chrisof4's care package. I got this sucker to where it's at in the pic and it just stopped moving. It's like it's stuck. I even rested for 20 minutes and tried again. Still did not budge. I then rested for 2 hours and tried again. The damn thing is a stubborn bastard and will not budge. The last half of the bend is usually the easy part for me but not on this bad mother. I WILL finish this thing off tommorow after I have rested.

No wonder. Your attitude is all wrong Travis. Not your Precious; your Weak, Feeble, Spineless, Cowardly, Frail, little baby nail!!!

Kill! Destroy! Obliterate!

Now don't return to us unless you're bringing that dead fastener on a plate!

LOL :laugh

Thank you Eric.

I just took my frustration out by setting a new PR.

I wrapped up a 7 inch cut of 1/4' National Brand HRS and smoked it in 30 seconds flat. Bent it down to 1 and 1/4 between the ends. I've been keeping a log of all my PR's this year and I've had a pretty good week.

U'd a six inch cut of 3/16th CRS - 1/10/04

U'd a five inch cut of 3/16th CRS - 1/10/04

U'd a 16d Common Nail - 1/13/2004

U'd a 40d Polebarn Nail - 1/16/04

Closed the Beef Builder Super Advanced Gripper lefty and righty - 2/1/04

U'd a 6 inch Grade 2 Carriage Bolt - 2/10/04

U'd a 5.5 inch Grade 2 Carriage Bolt - 2/10/04

U'd a 5 inch Grade 2 Carriage Bolt - 2/10/04

Closed the # 2 left Handed - 2/16/04

U'd a 20d Common Nail - 2/17/04

U'd a 5 inch cut of 1/4 Threaded Rod - 2/17/04

U'd a 7 inch cut of 1/4 Brass Rod - 2/17/04

U'd a 7 inch cut of 3/16th Zinc Coated Square Stock - 2/17/04

U'd a 7 inch cut of 1/4 Zinc Coated HRS - 2/17/04

U'd a 6 inch cut of 1/4 Brass Rod - 2/20/04

U'd a 5 inch cut of 1/4 Brass Rod - 2/20/04

Deadlifted a 25lb Hex Blockweight both lefty and righty - 2/22/04

Cleaned and Pressed a 25lb Hex Blockweight with the left hand - 2/22/04

Cleaned and Pressed a 25lb Hex Blockweight with the right hand - 2/23/04

Cleaned and Pressed a 25lb Hex Blockweight by the Face with the left hand - 2/24/04

U'd a 6 inch 60d 8 twist Timber Tie - 2/24/04

U'd a 8 inch 1/4 Grade 2 Hex Bolt - 2/25/04

U'd a 60d polebarn nail cut to 5 inches - 2/25/04

U'd a 7 inch cut of 1/4 National brand HRS - 2/26/04

So far it's been a good year for me. I hear the Yellow Nail calling my name.

I just want to thank my training partner Chrisof4 for his daily encouragement and support. I also want to thank all my Grip Brothers for there support and insperation.

You guys rock :rock:rock:rock

Edited by tmmicklabs

Okay Guys...I just did another little experiment.

Ones of my buddies I work with is pretty strong. He is like 6 foot tall and 350 pounds. Used to play college football. I handed him a 8 twist Grip Rite timber tie on tuesday and he smoked it in 10 seconds. I about crapped my pants. I had him try a Grip Rite 5 twist timber tie today and he huffed and puffed and did not even put a dent in it. I now feel better since I at least did a little damage to the 5 twist stock :D

MikeP...You are saying that you can smoke the 5 twist but not the 8 twist. This is the exact opposite of what I am experiancing. It looks like timber ties vary just as much as torsion spring grippers :ohmy

The TT's I got from Lowe's in Castro Valley,CA were very easy and we smoked through them pretty quickly. I bent 30 back to back while watching Scrubs one night. They are easier than a yellow.

The ones I picked up recently from Lowe's in Gilroy, CA are much harder. I think they are 8 twist, but they are harder than a blue to bend. Porkbone tells me that these ones have a tendency to break, and they have been dubbed "PBK" - "Porkbone Killers". The Home Depots around here don't carry TT's on a regular basis so I will have to order some.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Great job, Tmmicklabs!! Keep up the fantastic work! You will bend the yellow very soon at this rate! :rock :rock

I know of the "PBK's"!! lol

Most I tried snapped!!

I loved them though, right there

at a blue nail or alittle harder to me

also. I told porkbone he was trying to

kill someone sending out them

porkbone killer timberties. :D

First one I tried I had to really put out to

to get it going held my breath alittle to

long on the crush down. About went nite nite on it,

then it just snapped. All I could hear was a

buzzing noise for several seconds until I

started to regain all my senses.

Beware the "PBK's" !! lol

I just took my frustration out by setting a new PR.

Now you're talkin! Congratulations! :rock

Niiice. Looks like you put that guy in the hospital!

Dano - The cement coated nails don't really feel any different.

Tmmicklabs - It is wierd, huh? Huge difference in supposedly the same nails. Yea, I do like 15 or so a workout of the 5 twists but the 8 twists I got test the same as my 60d common and are a challenge for me @ this time.

Found a great supply of medium/easy 60d's... 60cents a pound @ the Ranch supply. I bought 20 for $1.08, love that.

They have horseshoes too, but even a 000 lite is out of the question....stout.

not five minutes ago I also had a first try at a timber tie. I tried it cold and didn't know what to think it took some effort but it did go down. I hope to be able to bend a yellow before feats with hands.

• 3 weeks later...

My 5lb box of timber ties has a mix of 8twist and 5twist, I can smoke the 8twist cut down to 5in, but can't get the 5twist past 20 degrees. Similar to Travis's experience. Mine are from Home Depot. I would also call the 8 twists easier than a yellow.

Two weeks ago I bent my first 8 twist TT with some great effort. The bend took about a 60 seconds and I was beat afterwards, but I was happy with my progress.

Last night I had a bending workout and I bent 6 of these 8 twist TT. They were like candy! I was pleased.

Two weeks ago I could not dink the 12 twist TT, and last night I put a serious dink in it. So maybe in a week or two I will kill it. I like these TT's though.

(I got mine from Lowe's BTW)

Congrats Rex.

You are doing great.

Good luck on the 12 twist ones.

They are super duper tough.

I can kill a 8twist in 7 seconds but cannot even dent the 12 twist ones that I have.

Congrats on the progress, Rekx! Last Saturday, I managed to bend 8 of those 8-twist TT's back-to-back, so it sounds like you, Tmmicklabs, and I are all at about the same strength level. I too have some of those 12-twist TT's and they are TOUGH! I managed to kink one about a month ago, but decided to put them away until I can man-handle the 1/4" HRS.

Keep grippin! :cool

I finally went out and bought some of the Home Depot 8 twist TTs today. They are great! They're now my favorite to bend. I only did 5 because I didn't want to take it too fast. On an off note, I consider a bend "complete" when I can drop it down the shaft of a toilet paper roll. Is this considered standard? It takes me quite a bit more time to crush any bend down to this width, but I feel like it's a legit bend that way. Am I doing too much of a bend? Not enough?

Ben,

You are doing great. Chrisof4 and I also bend our stock down to about an inch.

The strandard though for it to count is 2 inches or less which you are well under on your bends.