Triple Crown Of Grip Feats..

CMunger

My main objection to 3X35's as the ultimate pinching goal was that it basically requires a large hand, which means it is too predictable in a way. The list of people eventually being able to do this (besides Wade) will most likely include guys with large hands. To me, Wade's pinching of two 45's and then passing them around his body many times is something I can relate to much better (i.e. a pinching feat done at a moderate width). It shows an extreme level of pinching power at a width that would suit most people fairly well.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

• CMunger

• Mikael Siversson

I STRONGLY disagee with the assessment of the 3 - 35's being part of the "Triple Crown Of Grip" and I'll tell you why. Plate size varies.

I have two wide 35's that would be quite difficult for me to pinch lift. OTOH, I also have two narrow 35's that are a delight and would be easy! ;)

That's why I said the third feat should be a clean & press of the Inch. Lots of guys can lift the thing off the ground - so what?? But... putting it overhead ONE HANDED?!? :bow:bow

Pressing the Inch is less of a feat of grip strength. Try testing it out - once it's at shoulder height it isn't that bad to hold onto - hard but not as hard as the pull/clean.

Lots of guys can lift the thing off the ground - so what??

According to the latest Strength and Speed newsletter (which I will throw a shameless plug in for because it rocks) there are a little over 40 recorded Inch lifters. Probably close to 50 now. Not all of the people lifted the bell to lockout, but that's not a requirement to get onto the list. If you ask any of those people who lifted it off the ground, the two words they will not say about their accomplishment are "so what." It's nothing to scoff at. For a guy that "doesn't train" a lot of things, you sure do talk a lot!

An inch replica is about $270.00 plus shipping. That and the fact that it is not as generally useful or as available as olympic plates makes it a poor choice for the "triple crown".

Some kind of plate pinching would be better. The other items, the IM #4 and rednail

are easier to obtain and practice on. The idea is to make participation available to

the largest pool of aspirants.

I STRONGLY disagee with the assessment of the 3 - 35's being part of the "Triple Crown Of Grip" and I'll tell you why.  Plate size varies.

I have two wide 35's that would be quite difficult for me to pinch lift.  OTOH, I also have two narrow 35's that are a delight and would be easy!  ;)

That's why I said the third feat should be a clean & press of the Inch.  Lots of guys can lift the thing off the ground - so what??  But... putting it overhead ONE HANDED?!?  :bow  :bow

Well, I would say that gripper strength varies, so the #3 shouldn't be the requirement for being a Certified Captain of Crush. There are #3's that I am literally a hair width away, and there are others that I can only get to within a half inch. Seems to me the answer to that would be to not attempt to "certify" on unusually wide plates.

Clean and pressing the Inch? Maybe we should revisit thickbar and say that it be cleaning and pressing 400lbs on a 2" axle? :rolleyes Feat of strength involving amazing grip: yes. Grip feat: no.

Edited by CMunger