Triple Crown Of Grip Feats..

CMunger

Fairbar. It's fair to any hand size.

Just like setting a gripper. Bending nails is good too for a comaprable feat because it's not an issue of hand size.

Or.... walk a mile with the 32lb bag o' death. :D This feat is all grip, and size has nothing to do with it.

-HH

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

• CMunger

• Mikael Siversson

Or.... walk a mile with the 32lb bag o' death. :D This feat is all grip, and size has nothing to do with it.

-HH

HH, it sounds like you have tried the coin bag carry; your "32lb bag o' death" describes the experience well.

My best is a 1/4 mile, carrying one in each hand, without setting them down. I think I've tried it on about 3 different occasions, I'll have to check my log. But I agree that this feat is as fair a test as any.

Why not poll the Gripboard and then we all agree to abide by the results? Have Wanna set one up with the most popular choices, then se what happens.

. But consider the people who has closed the #4, almost all are people with fairly large hands, Magnus Samuelsson, Dave Morton, Nathan Holle. Average size for the #4 closers must be something like 8 1/4" - 8 1/2".

Good point.And because of this post two thoughts come to mind.My first thought on this is....All the above listed #4 closers have LARGE hands.IF we were to worry about ALL grip feats being 'fair' to ALL individuals? do we now have to forget about these gentlemans accomplishments? because some have decided that their hands are too big?

If all the feats of the 'trifecta'of grip must be fair to all?...then does the #4 close- as feat- get omitted??Look!! all those that HAVE closed the #4 have large hands.

IF we were to follow this LARGE hand size as an 'unfair' advantage-and LARGE hands as an issue to selecting the feats-then all the #4 closers have an unfair advantage?The very "triple crown"of grip events must be rethought if we were to follow this logic? :blush

On the other side of the coin(and why- IMO- feats should not be selected because of hand size consideration)Look at the #4 closers a little closer. These very same number#4 closers create a quandary.

They all have large hands right? but- interestingly enough- these monsters of crush can't do all the 'big hand'feats....

No disrespect intended but I don't see super Daves :D name on the list of blob lifters?And Holle CAN'T full deadlift an INCH replica.

Well they both have large hands...shouldn't the Blob and the INCH just be a given?

IF big hands are such an advantage?Why can't they just toy with the implements?

I would guess?at this moment-and i might be wrong- they just don't have the handstrength or wrist strength necessary (in the wide pinch for Dave and in the thick bar for Holle)

Men with smaller hands have deadlifted the INCH and lifted the Blob?If world class crushing grip and genetically gifted grippers are unable to do these feats(at this moment)then IMO hand size has less to do with it than everybody thinks? :erm

OR :rolleyes we go back to my first train of thought and eliminate the #4 close in the unofficial "triple Crown"of grip...afterall all the #4 closers hands are TOO big. :whistel:whistel:whistel

Sounds like a plan Tom. New "Griple Crown" for maximum inclusion and warm fuzziness:

#2 close

2-25 plate pinch

Blue nail

Edit: oops, forgot my laughing smilie... :laugh

Edited by CMunger

Sounds like a plan Tom. New "Griple Crown" for maximum inclusion and warm fuzziness:

#2 close

2-25 plate pinch

Blue nail

Dang! I still cannot do any of those. Can you lower the bar just a little more? :whistel:tongue

#2 close

2-25 plate pinch

Blue nail

Edit: oops, forgot my laughing smilie...  :laugh

Well I think? :erm you know i DON'T believe hand size should have any bearing on what feats are chosen. :cool

Sort of like saying skinny guys have an unfair advantage when it comes to long distance running :D OR that coordinated people with great hand eye coordination have an unfair advantage when it comes to playing ping pong :D OR its not fair that you have to be good looking to be an male model :laugh:laugh OR its not fair that only big strong guys can compete in WSM :whistel

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

FWIW, my hands are right at 8" long and 4.25" wide. My pinch is horrible for two reasons: (1) relatively short thumbs and (2) I don't train my pinch. I've picked up the 40lb blob though.

Edited by ClayEdgin

I doubt that the average sized hand for #4 closers is 8 1/4-8 1/2. Kinney has relatively small hands. Samuleson's hands are smaller than mine. I don't know about the others. I'm not complaining one way or the other but being someone with 8.5" hands I get sick and tired of everyone telling me I can only do the things I do because I have big hands. There are things that I can't do and I think my hand size hurts me - grippers, bending, card tearing, just to name a few. The "small" hand argument is used on this board all the time. I'm just trying to open your eyes to the other side of the argument.

#2 close

2-25 plate pinch

Blue nail

Dang! I still cannot do any of those. Can you lower the bar just a little more? :whistel:tongue

Closing a pair of tweezers.

2-paper plate(s) pinch

Clothes hanger bend

i have small hands (or, at 7", average by normal standards). i do not use this as an excuse, rather it's good motivation to attempt feats at which i theoretically have a disadvantage.

at the same time, i'm not sure if shrug or steve m would agree if you told them their hands are too big to bend red nails?

that being said, how about #4 close, red bend, and wide 45's pinch as the big 3? basically everyone has access to the necessary toys and none of them so much depend on great overall body strength as much as grip strength (as opposed to the suggestions about including inch c&j's, etc. i'm guessing there aren't too many people out there who can c&j 172 lb on a regular dumbbell, let alone an inch) the 45's pinch would cover the thumb and overall aspects of grip left out by bending and grippers

i would includ a blob lift instead of the 45's, but blobs are already hard to find, and are only getting harder. 3x35's pinch seems like it might be a little overboard...who can do this? wade, david horne maybe? it seems like this feat is more equivalent to a 5" or 5.5" red bend...

just my opinion

jeff

re: 3-35's being "too hard" -- Well, there is a school of thought that the Red may be more akin to the #3 than the #4. We are arguably early into the rise of popularity in bending, and if you make comparisons between Kinney as a gripper pioneer and Terminator as a bending pioneer, (Sorin being first CoC and Brookfield being first Red bender for further comparison) the argument could well exist that a 5" Red or a 6" Red is = to the #4 on the achievement scale. Who knows. Only retrospect will be able to judge that. For now I am content to refer to the Red in the same breath as the #4, because there isn't anything specific identified beyond that at this point.

I think Pinching may experience the same thing that grippers did, and that bending may be in the midst of. If you want to call Wade the "Kinney of Pinching" then 3-35's may be the #4 feat. Once pinching becomes a primary focus for more people more people may be able to attain it.

As starter of the thread, I hereby declare the Griple Crown (copyright me 2004) to be

Closing the #4

Bending the Red Nail

Pinching 3-35lb plates.

:cool

Edited by CMunger

Well you can equally well argue that only people with small hands know what it is like to have small hands. How can someone with a large hand know for certain that having small hands is not a major disadvantage in thickbar lifting?

OUT-STANDING! I couldn't have said it better myself. I think the handsize debate comes down to egos. Large handed individuals don't want their feats discounted because of handsize and smaller handed people don't want to pay as much respect to feats that they feel handsize plays a large role in. I'm no exception, as I've said plenty on behalf of the smaller handed people. Just my 2 cents.

I'd just like to add my opinion to the small hands arguement...

My hands are 7 inch from top of middle finger to first line in the wrist, so I AM in the small hands pool here... And my personal opinion on making these feats fair is, WHO CARES! It's kinda like this, if you're born with asthma and you want to run long distance track, you're at a disadvantage. Are you going to complain and try to make it fair between the people who have asthma and those who dont? No, thats dumb, right? Same concept applies here. Love it or hate it, but in life some people are going to have certain characteristics that give them advantages in certain areas. Deal with it.

With my small hands I will probably never pull 200+ on the RT, I may not have big enough hands for the blob or inch, may not close the #4 etc, etc. But quite honestly, I don't really care. The Gripboard is a cool bunch of people, dont get me wrong, but frankly, I don't care how I 'rank' here. I don't care if I'm never gonna have that 'world class' grip. That's not why I started grip training and that isn't why I train today. I train my grip to make my hands stronger. Not to add my name to some list on the internet. I want to reach the fullest potentional I have in my hands and if that fullest potential is only bending the blue, closing the 3 and pinch lifting 2-35's, then good for me, I've done everything I could to better myself.

Now I'll call it to a close because now I'm just rambling. Once again, no offense to anyone. I just think the whole small hands-large hands arguement is a bit SILLY .

Good training and my best wishes to all of you.

Everyone with small hands needs to marry a Amazon girl to get the kids taller. Then we can live vicariously through them!! :D

I'd just like to add my opinion to the small hands arguement...

My hands are 7 inch from top of middle finger to first line in the wrist, so I AM in the small hands pool here... And my personal opinion on making these feats fair is, WHO CARES! It's kinda like this, if you're born with asthma and you want to run long distance track, you're at a disadvantage. Are you going to complain and try to make it fair between the people who have asthma and those who dont? No, thats dumb, right? Same concept applies here. Love it or hate it, but in life some people are going to have certain characteristics that give them advantages in certain areas. Deal with it.

With my small hands I will probably never pull 200+ on the RT, I may not have big enough hands for the blob or inch, may not close the #4 etc, etc. But quite honestly, I don't really care. The Gripboard is a cool bunch of people, dont get me wrong, but frankly, I don't care how I 'rank' here. I don't care if I'm never gonna have that 'world class' grip. That's not why I started grip training and that isn't why I train today. I train my grip to make my hands stronger. Not to add my name to some list on the internet. I want to reach the fullest potentional I have in my hands and if that fullest potential is only bending the blue, closing the 3 and pinch lifting 2-35's, then good for me, I've done everything I could to better myself.

Now I'll call it to a close because now I'm just rambling. Once again, no offense to anyone. I just think the whole small hands-large hands arguement is a bit SILLY .

Good training and my best wishes to all of you.

There are many feats of hand strength where hand size is either of no importance or of very limited importance. Some guys with large hands may simply not be strong enough to demonstrate high levels of grip strength in events where the size of the hand is of limited importance. This usually means that they will stay away from any high calibre allround grip strength competition. We have seen people with large hands and outstanding thick bar abilities place rather far down the list in allround grip strength competitions. That should ring a bell one would think.

I doubt that the average sized hand for #4 closers is 8 1/4-8 1/2. Kinney has relatively small hands. Samuleson's hands are smaller than mine. I don't know about the others. I'm not complaining one way or the other but being someone with 8.5" hands I get sick and tired of everyone telling me I can only do the things I do because I have big hands. There are things that I can't do and I think my hand size hurts me - grippers, bending, card tearing, just to name a few. The "small" hand argument is used on this board all the time. I'm just trying to open your eyes to the other side of the argument.

Well said Wade. So let's stop this incessant big hands make everything easier crap!

I doubt that the average sized hand for #4 closers is 8 1/4-8 1/2.  Kinney has relatively small hands.  Samuleson's hands are smaller than mine.  I don't know about the others.  I'm not complaining one way or the other but being someone with 8.5" hands I get sick and tired of everyone telling me I can only do the things I do because I have big hands.  There are things that I can't do and I think my hand size hurts me - grippers, bending, card tearing, just to name a few.  The "small" hand argument is used on this board all the time.  I'm just trying to open your eyes to the other side of the argument.

Well said Wade. So let's stop this incessant big hands make everything easier crap!

No one said everything, just feats where handsize is a factor like thickbar or no set closes for example. As Wade said though large hands can hinder people on certain feats as well.

Big hand Lifts are Wide pinching (anything over 2", like the Blob and 3x35's), thick bar lifts (rolling thunder, Inch etc) and maybe wide no set gripper closing.

Small hand lifts are perhaps tearing pieces out of cards with your fingers, thinner pinches (2" or less) and maybe smaller grippers. Farmer's walks, all wrist work including bending, digit work and thumb strength have no real advantage either way.

My hands are relatively average to small at 7 3/4" in length but I attempt most things wide or not. I will never set the world alight with wide pinching, world record Rolling Thunder lifts or no set gripper closing. So what! At the end of the day you deal with your strengths and weaknesses as best you can. This is the same for competitions, if the rules are in place and you decide to compete then deal with the events as best as you can.

If Wade Gillingham can pinch 3x35's and I can't I sure as hell am not gonna blame my hand size! If can't even get my hands around a weight (like with 6x10's) then yeah, that's a physical problem but for those that can then go try lifting 6x10's. I just won't have that as one of my goals unless science comes up with a way of growing hands longer!

The No.4, the red nail, 3x35's, plate curling a 25kg plate, lifting the Inch and Blob and walking with them, a 400lb V-bar lift, a 700lbs One Hand Lift and a many other top level grip feats are all at the pinnacle of this sport/activity.

Hands can be strong whether they are big or small, male or female, young or old!

Nick