Triple Crown Of Grip Feats..

CMunger

strict 45 lb plate curl - damn, that sounds tough - is there anyone who can do it - if so, who? That would be a major test of wrist and fingertip strength, so maybe we could have the Pentathlon of Grip, #4, Red, Inch, Blob, and Strict 45 lb Plate Curl.

This could be the basis for a contest, who could do the best on grippers, nails/challenge bars, RT/one hand dead, block weights, and strict plate curls. Just an idea...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

• CMunger

• Mikael Siversson

I think that to be "complete" as a gripmaster you must have a good supporting grip. For most people grip training is just about improving their grip to hang on to heavy barbells. Just because you can close a #3 or #4 doesnt mean you are going to have the best time in the Hercules Hold or walk furthest in the Farmers Walk.

1) #4

2) Red

3) hub lifting 65 lbs on a 45 lb plate

or

plate curling 55 lbs on a wide 45 lb plate

damn how about both

that would be wrist, fringer, crush, thumb in just about every dimesion. Hand size would still be a factor but, not as much.

-Keith-

I know Dave Morton takes his bending pretty seriously, wouldn't surprise me to see some news out of there this year.

I heard that I did. I received his results for the Gripboard Grip Bash last night. :blink

I vote for 2 45's as the third option.

I don't know of anyone on this board that can close the # 4...bend the Red Nail and pinch lift 2 45's.

Is there anyone who has bent the red and closed the #4 yet?

I'd guess SHRUG is a good candidate for this?

He got to the Red very quick...and I understand he is working on the #4 now....or I hope he is? :cool

I would have to go with the guys that list the 3rd option as something few-if any- can do now. To me that says either:

Rolling Thunder 300+

Millenium deadlift (hopefully someone will be able ot farmers walk w/them someday!)

2 hand plate pinch of 275+

Appolon axle double OH dead of 600+

Those numbers seem well above what many can do but isn't that the purpose of having elite lifts.

I think the third feat should have something to do with the Millennium bell. Deadlift or even clean and jerk it :blink haha

It just seems that two other feats seem to be about conquering some object, not just stacking more weight onto a device, as impressive as that is. These objects have to have some 'personality'

So it'll become...

red nail . . . bend it!

#4 . . . crush it!

millennium bell . . . lift it!

-The Triple Crown-

I'd add the Blob as a fourth. The Blob . . grab it!

I vote for the inch.

Sixgun

"Nick, you said 2x15kilos...do you mean squeezing two 35's at once and plate curl them together with one hand?!~ "

Yes, either that or a 25kg/55lbs Plate Curl (with a 25kg plate not a 20 plus 5kg). Or even 2x20kg plates alternate curled for 10 reps each side.

Nick

#4, Red Nail, 2x45 pinched in each hand

Red Nail

pinch 3 35# plates

The 3 35's is going to be far less common than the Inch or the Bolb, and there is no advantage from hand size.

I agree with the 3 35s:

- A pinching feat

- Using commonly available equipment (albeit with some variation)

- Minimizing hand size as a factor

- Difficulty is in line with the #4/red.

My vote: Cleaning and pressing the Inch overhead. How many guys in the world can do this feat??

#4 close, red nail bend and hoisting the Inch overhead. That's the Triple Crown of Grip IMHO. :bow

The 3 35's is going to be far less common than the Inch or the Bolb, and there is no advantage from hand size.

The width of three 15kg plates (close to a 35lbs plate in weight) can be as much as 5'' (although more commonly 4''). At these widths there is a HUGE advantage having large hands.

Absolutely, even two "big" plates is very dependant on hand size imo. I think it is almost impossible to agree on a standard "crown" feat for pinching.

Personally I disagree - whatever the feat is (blob, 2x45 or 3x35) it shouldn't matter about hand size. The hand should match the feat, not the other way around.

We need to get over this preoccupation we seem to be having about hand size.

Edited by The Mac

I don't know if 3-35's is limited by hand size any more than it is a disadvantage in some of these other lifts to have big hands. It's not a huge stretch for me and it's not as wide as the blob. I've watched many hundreds of people try the blob and very very few of them have too small of hands to lift it. Most of them can get their hand in position and if they had the pinching power could lift it. Rick Walker is a good example of someone that does not have huge hands but is lifting the blob after a good 6mo. of hard training to do it. Is it an advantage to have big hands? I think it is a bigger advantage to have more surface area on the blob or plates than it is a mechanical disadvantage. I also agree with Mikael that a smaller hand has an advantage with a narrow pinch over someone with a large hand. One more comment on this, big hands make grippers more difficult (when a set is allowed). There is a point in closing your hand that you don't have as much power. Make a tight fist and squeeze - do you think you have as much power in this position as you do when you are closing the gripper? No. Why do you think Phil Pfister hasn't closed the #3? He certainly has the hand strength but the movement is not natural for his big hands and he hasn't taken the time to work it out.

Well said Wade. People who have large hands are the ones who are know the advantages and disadvantages! Kind of reminds me of young people who claim to know what it is like to be an older person.

Ofc, thin objects is as hard for the large hand as wide objects is hard for the smaller hand. There are always exceptions such as Phil Phister, his hands may be too large for grippers. But consider the people who has closed the #4, almost all are people with fairly large hands, Magnus Samuelsson, Dave Morton, Nathan Holle. Average size for the #4 closers must be something like 8 1/4" - 8 1/2". It is not so easy to change all grippers to fit very large hands or to have different sizes, that would be impractical.

Well you can equally well argue that only people with small hands know what it is like to have small hands. How can someone with a large hand know for certain that having small hands is not a major disadvantage in thickbar lifting?

I don't see why we're arguing at all here - hand size is what it is, it can't be changed. Some are already trying to use grippers that are "tailored" to their hands - enough is enough.

I say we have a poll and go with whatever the result is - it is an UNOFFICIAL "Triple Crown" after all.

Well you can equally well argue that only people with small hands know what it is like to have small hands. How can someone with a large hand know for certain that having small hands is not a major disadvantage in thickbar lifting?

Exactly my point. You only know what it is like to have whatever hand size you posses.