Triple Crown Of Grip Feats..

CMunger

Maybe tearing the corner off of a big stack of cards with the index finger and thumb? This would seem to require a lot of thumb and finger strength (obviously) and it wouldnt really matter the size of the hand.

-Viking-

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

• CMunger

• Mikael Siversson

"...what do you think the third one could/should be? A pinching or thick dumbell feat perhaps?"

Whatever is chosen should be generally available. A #4 gripper and red nails are relatively cheap commercial products. York Blobs are becoming rare and Inch replicas are expensive. It may be that Olympic plate pinching would be best.

Deadlifting the BLOB and the INCH at the same time.

Lol Mikael you're preaching in the desert ! :D

I 100% agree with you though ! ;)

In fact as we already know there are "feats of hand strength" (Blob, Inch and so on...) and "tests of hand strength" (pinch with an adjustable apparatus, bending with average steel length and so on...).

I fully agree that hand size should not, as far as possible, come into play with the "tests of hand strength".

Seems to be quite a few who can pinch two 45s, in Europe there's 25kg plates, isn't there anything like a 55lbs plate or something? If not, what's the next step?

Edited by Tobias

I like Heaths idea of the old realy wide yorks. It kind of adds a old school touch to it. Maybe 3 35's. Also the millenium is probably the ultimate fxed weight for a thick bar. Not saying that guys can't do more but I think thats the heaviest thick handled dumbell out there that has a consistent weight.

Seems to be quite a few who can pinch two 45s, in Europe there's 25kg plates, isn't there anything like a 55lbs plate or something? If not, what's the next step?

See Heath's post above. Plus the deal is someone performing ALL these feats.

Maybe once we betermined the best 3 feats would could do some debating who would conqure all of them. I think ringht now if it was red,#4, fat 45's or the Millenium I would put my money on Chris James. I feel hes the sleeper of the board when it comes to unreal levels of grip strength.

To me, I think either the Inch or the old York 45's. Personally I think the old 45's are just crazy hard, crazy. The Inch has been done by quite a few people and is by no means an easy feat, but I think the Red is elite, the #4 is elite, and so are the old 45's.

I agree

See Heath's post above.  Plus the deal is someone performing ALL these feats.

Not exactly my point, are you saying that's there no heavier plates than 45s?

I think the equipment should be easy to get hold of, I don't have any 45's in my local gym but at least I have 20kg plates (44lbs) and I certainly don't have any "old 45's" nor can I easily aquire any.

Edited by Tobias

I'm sure there are 55's somewhere, but more than likely they are rubber coated. The next step from 45's is wide 45's. The old York's are heads above those. The edges are sort of rounded and turned in, 2" and just mean. That is the one thing that sticks out in my mind about Sorin. Of the pictures I've seen of him, that's the most impressive. I have not seen another picture of anyone doing them. There are people here I think could do them though. Wade, Rob W and maybe Chris James. David Horne too since his pinch is so high.

Whilst agreeing with the Triple-Crown of feats idea, I would find it more impressive if someone was able to win (for example) this years European Champs and some of the US contests.

Yes, I know scheduling is the problem here, but pulling out the performances in competition is what impresses me.

Some different but equally impressive options...

330kg Table Top Wrist Curl....

Two Rafter Chins for 15 reps or more...

2x15kg/35lbs Plate curl...

185kg One Hand V-bar (no hook, on Euro set up)

120kg Two Hand Pinch (Euro set up)

100kg on Vince Basile's Pinch Machine (I'm KIDDING!!!)

Nick

I think it has to be a pinch feat since crush and wrist strength are already covered with the #4 and the Red. I vote for "X" amount of weight on some sort of adjustable pinch set up. Pretty much what Mikael said.

I vote for 2 45's as the third option.

I don't know of anyone on this board that can close the # 4...bend the Red Nail and pinch lift 2 45's.

I vote for 2 45's as the third option.

I don't know of anyone on this board that can close the # 4...bend the Red Nail and pinch lift 2 45's.

Is there anyone who has bent the red and closed the #4 yet?

I would have to go with Nick Mckinless's post....but certatinly there are many other feats that could be added.....as for lifting the Inch dumbell to be included in this " tripple crown"...no way....way too easy and isn't even close to the merit of red nail bending or closing the #4......full dead lift of MDB is more like it, if were talkin' a thick handled feat.........................Nick, you said 2x15kilos...do you mean squeezing two 35's at once and plate curl them together with one hand?!~ :whacked

How many red benders are there? Maybe 8 total?

How many 4 closers are there? Maybe 5 or 6?

Seems we need to select something that only 5-10 people can do.

Seems like the 3 bases are bend, crush, pinch/thick.

Red = bending.

4 = crushing.

? = pinching/thick bar.

I would vote for the wide double 45 pinch but because I also place alot of value on overall strength, not just grip, I would throw out there the Apollon's Axle. Clean and press that, about 8 or so guys have done that. Or how about hub pinching 2 45's, one in each hand?

How many guys are lifting the blob?

Also, to be the "super triple crown" you need to do your 4 with either hand and if we chose a 1 hand pinch do it with either hand.

MikeP, I like your way of thinking. But, perhaps it should be Quadruple Crown - #4, Red, Inch, and Blob. All widely recognized and all realistic goals for those who wish to work extremely hard for them.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Morton, Joel Sward, and Shrug could do all of these, given time, training, and enough motivation. Probably terminator too, but I don't know too much about him.

Edited by ianders1

We got som great grip guys here.

Tommy may have it overall.

#4, double no set #3, Blob, 2 45's, pinch chin up.

I know we have some other beasts out there. Who has a longer list of recognized feats?

-HH

We got som great grip guys here.

Tommy may have it overall.

I know we have some other beasts out there.

I didn't mean to leave anyone out, those are just the first guys that came to mind, I know there are many, many other beasts out there :rock:bow:rock

MikeP, I like your way of thinking. But, perhaps it should be Quadruple Crown - #4, Red, Inch, and Blob. All widely recognized and all realistic goals for those who wish to work extremely hard for them.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Morton, Joel Sward, and Shrug could do all of these, given time, training, and enough motivation. Probably terminator too, but I don't know too much about him.

As far as a quadruple crown, I'd make a strict 45 lb plate curl the 4th feat.