Triple Crown Of Grip Feats..

CMunger

I got to thinking about the current pinnacles of where we're at, and the "Triple Crown" theme was coming to mind because it seems like all sports like to have something they refer to in that fashion. So if we assume that closing the #4 and bending the Red nail are 2 of the three, what do you think the third one could/should be? A pinching or thick dumbell feat perhaps?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

• CMunger

• Mikael Siversson

Deadlifting the blob or the inch comes to mind. That is always pretty impressive.

I would say either The Inch or deadlifting one 50lb blob in each hand.

To me, I think either the Inch or the old York 45's. Personally I think the old 45's are just crazy hard, crazy. The Inch has been done by quite a few people and is by no means an easy feat, but I think the Red is elite, the #4 is elite, and so are the old 45's.

Good topic.Tough call.

I'd have to say IF just a "triple crown"? the 'trifecta'would be The #4,the red and mastery of one of the following thick bar 'classics'.

A)even though it hasn't been done?perhaps a full deadlift of the Millenium.

Other thick bar choices:

B)The double INCH farmers walk is up there for Thickbar 'equivalent'(in difficulty factor and magnitude of importance).

C) 300# Rolling Thunder is right up there too.

IMO an INCH deadlift is too common.

IF the third feat wasnot thick bar?The following 1 handed pinches come to mind:

A)IMO 3X35's has got to be considered the top single hand pinch feat.

B)Or weight added to the Blob?

IF not pinch?:

Sledge lever(wrist strength)not commonly discussed but if someone could take approximately 30 pounds back to their nose,arm parallel to the ground...with a 36 inch handle...THAT would be something and up there in the VERY high difficulty range of the aforementioned feats.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Some type of pinching over thick bar since thick bar is more on hand size.

Not true. It is more on hand strength. Handsize gives you an advantage, but does not count more than strength.

So if we assume that closing the #4 and bending the Red nail are 2 of the three, what do you think the third one could/should be?

It has to be something that can be done by very few people IF it is to be considered equal to or comparable to these feats.

Feats mainly for people with large hands. Make the feats ones that can compare people with large and small hands better. Those still are great feats, just favor the large handed individual more than say pinching 100 lbs on plates.

I hear that patrick. But maybe 2-45's is a bit too common. I sure can't do it but many others can.

I think either 2-45's or a 200lb total in the total hand pinch. The Blob and Inch are good too.

This is a tough call. I've thought it over before and realised that other than lifting the Inch and the Blob, few other feats have the prestige of the Red and the #4. There's pinching two 45's, but the texture of plates vary considerably. I do think a 300 pound one hand olympic bar deadlift is in the same class, as is pinching 100 pounds one handed, using a "smooth surface". Perhaps we need to develop a set standard for pinching and supporting strength, that isn't too dependent upon hand size and equipment variation.

Feats mainly for people with large hands. Make the feats ones that can compare people with large and small hands better. Those still are great feats, just favor the large handed individual more than say pinching 100 lbs on plates.

You seem preoccupied with people that have large hands, and repeatedly mention it in your posts. Get over it! Are your hands that small?

I don't have large hands at all. 7 3/4" in length.

I don't think we can rule out a 'feat' just because it favors a certain type of physical structure or size.Certain feats of strength and certain sports will be easier for certain individuals due to their anatomical advantages.....so be it.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Someone with truly strong hands will be able to demonstrate this on equippment that does not discriminate against smaller hands. It is for example rather misleading comparing David Horne (who has rather small hands) with Wade Gillingham (who has large hands) in wide pinching (which would favour Wade) or narrow pinching (which would favour David). Much better to use an adjustable width pinch set up. You can take this to the extreme by using a width people with smaller hands can't even put their hands across to start with, or to use a Dinnie-style ring so small that large handed people can't even get all their fingers through. What does it prove? Poor judgement in selecting equipment for demonstrating grip strength superiority? Guys with smaller hands tend to be strongest around 2-2 1/2'' width in pinching whereas guys with really large hands may have their peak strength above 3''. Selecting 4'' as an ultimate test of pinching power is not ideal.

Here's an idea if you're concerned with hand size.

"X" amount of wieght on a Fairbar. Mabey 172lbs. ;)

The 3rd feat is a tough choice, because hand size has nothing to do with grippers or nail bending. (assuming you set the gripper.)

Too bad the Fairbar probably won't catch on. :( It's a hell of an idea.

-HH