Women #3

Rocksurly

As a woman, who was receptive to grip training, :yikes I have to say that although I find it to be an interesting, sometimes invigorating and fun activity, I do not have the same enthusiasm as manvil (my boyfriend) who got me into grip training. I took to thick bar training and trying his blobs (I even drove several hours to transport the dumbells for cutting at a friend of his and back one weekend). I can close his CoC Trainer with my right hand and one day hope to close the #1 with my right hand at least. However, my enthusiasm (thus far) has not extended into regular extensive training of grip. My hope is that this board will prompt and encourage me to do so more regularly.

In any case, I think since the primary motivation for MOST women in exercise related activity is NOT strength but looks (seems that this is sometimes the case for males as well...tho I would argue less so), I think the pool of women who would even consider grip training a worthwhile, useful physical training activity is dramatically reduced from the get go. :erm Hell one of Matt's friends who he has got into grip activities has a girlfriend who not only shows not interest but discourages the activity and encourages him to go pump his biceps up.

COULD a woman work up to closing the #3? I'd say possibly... perhaps probably. Not all women have small hands (contrary to popular belief :rolleyes ...didnt any of you see that man hands seinfield haha). There are a good number of women who work in fields that require hand strength (giving them a natural strength base). The bigger obstacle is interest...followed by natural ability (hand size, natural strength etc.)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• Matt Van Weele

• joeyg

• Bill Piche

Mary McConnaughey told me that she thought Becca Swanson could do it quite easily IF she trained for it. So my vote is YES. :)

Ah only if my body had all tetosterone running through like Beca Swanson's does. The worst part is I'm a teenager and am probably right around testosterone peak.

Ah only if my body had all tetosterone running through like Beca Swanson's does. The worst part is I'm a teenager and am probably right around testosterone peak.

Are ya shaving yet? :) ..if not, you still have some Test to go

Are ya shaving yet? :) ..if not, you still have some Test to go

Yeah I shave monthly but I'm sure not as often as Beca does.

I was really impressed with the depth. How much lower can ya get. I would like to see what she does with no gear, steroids or other various drugs, going below paralell and having to walk the weigh out rather than using a mono. I would say 500 maybe.

If one Mrs S. and her higher test count than any two of us on this board, decided to put her efforts in to the #3 instead of PLing, she'd have closed it by now.

Based on what I have seen grip wise out of Becca, I don't see her closing the #3.

As a sidenote, I'm not convinced test count has that much to do with how strong your grip is - I've seen a ton of juiced up people who have crappy grip. I've seen some scrany looking natural guys who have machine like grip. I don't have any scientific evidence on this point--just from observation, it doesn't seem like people's grip goes up a ton when they get on the juice.

As to the general question though, I do think it is possible that a woman will close the #3, and I suspect eventually it will happen. It will take a special person to do it though.

Our training partner Kara Mann has the best grip I have ever seen from a woman (especially a clean 20 yr old). She carried 2 200 lb aluminum implements that were slick 200 ft for the world record this month in Boston (31 secs). She can close the #1 in an almost no-set style. However, the #3 would be way beyond her abilities, at least at this point.

Edited by rbrown

My vote would be for Mary McConnaughey. She has what I thought was a large hand, coupled with very good grip strength already. I've never asked her how close she is on the #3. I'm not even sure she trains the grippers all that much anymore. Maybe Kevin Fulton would be able to answer this question (because I don't think Mary is a member here).

I vote yes.

The freaks will come out to play some day.

It's our job to find them.

Liz Talbot could do it if she would devote 100 % of her training toward it.

I was really impressed with the depth. How much lower can ya get.

Are you joking?

A lot lower.

There are women that are faster than us and women that can jump higher and even throw weighted implements further(than many of us)

Grip has more to do with tendon strength and size than these other activities but I wouldn't be suprised if there are world class female athletes that have the correct hand size and 'wireing' to close a gripper.

And with females?probably less of those with gentic gifts go on to fulfill their potential.In othere words there are plenty of women with favorable genentics that don't get into athletics of any sort and AREN'T athletes at all.

It could be the 6'2" foreward on the college basketball team,the 5'9",175lb high school shotputter or the Babushka cleaning the floors at the office but rest assured there are some females out there with good grips.IMO,Good enough to close the #3 and better grips than some of us on the forum.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I was really impressed with the depth. How much lower can ya get. I would like to see what she does with no gear, steroids or other various drugs, going below paralell and having to walk the weigh out rather than using a mono. I would say 500 maybe.

I'm sure she'll take that into consideration and get a video up ASAP for you.

Becca just squatted 827 in training using WPC rules.

Who here can squat that? Anyone? Anyone?? :mellow

That canvas suit she has on helps her about 100-150 more pounds than she can do with a regular poly one.

A person I know who squats over a thousand with a canvas suit,told me this.

Lets see what these guys can do raw,and go below parallel on there squats.

Guest Shano_mac

I dont think it will happen naturally. Im not trying to bash women here but testosterone is a requirement for heavy lifting period.

Steroids are not the cause of muscle tears. Steroids actually help in muscle rebuilding and healing which happends to be there intended use.

There's women (clean) who are much stronger than me and probably stronger than most of you guys here, so yes i believe there will be female CoCs (no pun intended).

I was really impressed with the depth. How much lower can ya get.

Are you joking?

A lot lower.

Yes guys I was trying to be a smart ass.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I bet that if a man that weighed what Becca does and had the same suit on , and did the same weight that there wouldn't be near as much bad mouthing going on. And who's got more TEST in them ? I know it's easy to squat big weight with a suit on,,,,, right ? Well, to all of you that think that, I challenge you to get a suit , film it, and prove me wrong. I would bet that 75% of the people on this board could not even take 827 out of the rack let alone go down and up with it.