Women #3

Rocksurly

I saw a video of a 150-lb girl (woman) - Kara Bohigian or something? - standing pressing 235 lbs overheard, strict, for 5 reps. Also the same girl (woman) bench pressing 402 lbs competition style. Apparently she also squats over 600. She is a 150 lb girl (woman) who out-lifts nearly everybody I've ever known in my life. If a 150 lb girl (woman) can do all this, surely some woman, if she ever puts her mind to it, will close a # 3.

Here's Kara Bohigian benching 402 at 148 bodyweight:

Here's Kara Bohigian standing military pressing at least 235 lbs for 5 reps at 148 bodyweight:

(Edit: Actually it looks like she does about 195 for 5 reps, then does about 235-245 for a single, with really thick 45-lb plates)

Here's Becca Swanson bench pressing 551 pounds!!!! (Hysterical how her arms are held forward like Frankenstein by her bench suit, though)

I know that supporting grip and crushing grip are two different animals, but Kara Bohigian has deadlifted somewhere in the range of 550 to 600 lbs.

I am a hairs breadth from closing the 2 right now and I don't think I could support that much weight.

With HARD work it seems likely that she could close the 3 at least with a MM set.

Anyway If she does I wouldn't be surprised.

Just my measly 2 cents worth

Edited by royceman

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• Matt Van Weele

• joeyg

• Bill Piche

I saw a video of a 150-lb girl (woman) - Kara Bohigian or something? - standing pressing 235 lbs overheard, strict, for 5 reps. Also the same girl (woman) bench pressing 402 lbs competition style. Apparently she also squats over 600. She is a 150 lb girl (woman) who out-lifts nearly everybody I've ever known in my life. If a 150 lb girl (woman) can do all this, surely some woman, if she ever puts her mind to it, will close a # 3.

Here's Kara Bohigian standing military pressing at least 235 lbs for 5 reps at 148 bodyweight:

(Edit: Actually it looks like she does about 195 for 5 reps, then does about 235-245 for a single, with really thick 45-lb plates)

Here's Becca Swanson bench pressing 551 pounds!!!! (Hysterical how her arms are held forward like Frankenstein by her bench suit, though)

I know that supporting grip and crushing grip are two different animals, but Kara Bohigian has deadlifted somewhere in the range of 550 to 600 lbs.

I am a hairs breadth from closing the 2 right now and I don't think I could support that much weight.

With HARD work it seems likely that she could close the 3 at least with a MM set.

Kara's all time max DL is 501, no need to make up numbers.

Kara's all time max DL is 501, no need to make up numbers.

Sorry, it was an honest mistake, thanks for the correction.

Also, she can bench 225 like 7-10 times raw..that does equal a 400lb bench in my book. Shirts and suits mean nothing.

I don't think a woman will be closing a 3.

Wow, for real, using a suit can translate a 7-10 X 225 raw bench into 400? I got to get me a suit & see what I can do...

I bet if a girl (or anybody) had a "grip suit" (mega-tight "power" glove) the #3 would fall in a heartbeat.

Also...You didn't respond to the fact that Becca Swanson (not Kara Bohigian) bench pressed 551. I don't care what kind of suit she used, that translates into at least roughly a 400 lb raw bench.

(How much can you bench?)

You're telling me that a woman can bench 400+ raw, more than most men on earth (including most #3 closers), yet no woman will "ever" close a #3?

Yah, right.

Sorry, but you can't use a ratio to see how much someone could get out of a bench shirt. Gene Rychalk(sp) has benched over 1000 in bench shirt, yet the raw bench record of 715 belongs to someone else. That means Gene is getting 315lbs+ out of his shirt.

Has Becca really benched 400 raw or are you assuming so? I'm not going to comment on her because that topic is illegal on this board.

I'm not saying that people who use equipment don't work hard, but i've heard stories of people that needed 400lbs on a bar just to get it to touch their chest..it was almost like an inverted row.

A woman will not close a 3

edit - i fixed a simple grammar mistake and it got reposted...sorry.

Edited by joeyg

Also, she can bench 225 like 7-10 times raw..that does equal a 400lb bench in my book. Shirts and suits mean nothing.

I don't think a woman will be closing a 3.

Wow, for real, using a suit can translate a 7-10 X 225 raw bench into 400? I got to get me a suit & see what I can do...

I bet if a girl (or anybody) had a "grip suit" (mega-tight "power" glove) the #3 would fall in a heartbeat.

Also...You didn't respond to the fact that Becca Swanson (not Kara Bohigian) bench pressed 551. I don't care what kind of suit she used, that translates into at least roughly a 400 lb raw bench.

(How much can you bench?)

You're telling me that a woman can bench 400+ raw, more than most men on earth (including most #3 closers), yet no woman will "ever" close a #3?

Yah, right.

Sorry, but you can't use a ratio to see how much someone could get out of a bench shirt. Gene Rychalk(sp) has benched over 1000 in bench shirt, yet the raw bench record of 715 belongs to someone else. That means Gene is getting 315lbs+ out of his shirt.

Has Becca really benched 400 raw or are you assuming so? I'm not going to comment on her because that topic is illegal on this board.

I'm not saying that people who use equipment don't work hard, but i've heard stories of people that needed 400lbs on a bar just to get it to touch their chest..it was almost like an inverted row.

A woman will not close a 3

edit - i fixed a simple grammar mistake and it got reposted...sorry.

Scott Mendelson currently holds both records at 1008 and 715.

Grip is different.

Julie Havelka trains her grip. She can close the #2. She can deadlift 475 pounds.

There are guys on this board who are not as strong as her, who cannot deadlift 475 pounds, and can close the #3.

I can pull 70 pounds more than Julie on the Rolling Thunder, but she can outpull me 100 pounds in the deadlift.

There are guys who can pull over 600 who cannot close a #3. Tendons & ligaments for closing grippers do not have that much carryover to deadlifting. What Kara can bench press, squat, etc, doesn't mean much for answering the question as to whether women will be able to close the #3.

Grip is different. #3 will be tough for a woman.

Hubgzr

Edited by Hubgeezer

Anyway if anyone else feels like adding to the pot feel free to do.

David

Yeah, let's have the naysayers put their money where their keystrokes are!

I have lost one wager so far on the gripboard, I am ready to go at it again.

So far, it is $1000 plus $100 for $1,100. And if anyone can do it, Elizabeth would be my choice. She is a Number 2 closer, has 8 1/2 inch hands, and is married to a Gripmaster. Personally David, I think she has more important things to do with a baby and all, but if more guys were to add to the pot, maybe it would be worth her while...

Hubgeezer

For $1100 Ill have my baby niece start training right now, i think she has 3" hands.

Grip is different.

In my book, grip is no different than any other form of strength training. Hard work pays off.

Julie Havelka trains her grip. She can close the #2. She can deadlift 475 pounds.

There are guys on this board who are not as strong as her, who cannot deadlift 475 pounds, and can close the #3.

True, but that would be easily fixed if all those guys worked their deadlifts as hard as they work their grip. I think it's as simple as that. I know many guys don't take the rest of their training as seriously, for whatever reason they might have. It's easier to work your grip hard than it is to work your deadlifts hard, that's one.

I can pull 70 pounds more than Julie on the Rolling Thunder, but she can outpull me 100 pounds in the deadlift.

Hand size...plus you probably don't work/haven't worked your deadlift as hard as your grip.

There are guys who can pull over 600 who cannot close a #3. Tendons & ligaments for closing grippers do not have that much carryover to deadlifting. What Kara can bench press, squat, etc, doesn't mean much for answering the question as to whether women will be able to close the #3.

You are right, but that does give some general guidelines how strong women can get. Add above average handsize (for a woman), strong body structure and serious will to close harder grippers to that and results may be far better than you anticipate.

I think grip differs only in one way: it doesn't have that much appeal to women. But yes, it will be tough, but not impossible by any means.

Grip is different.

In my book, grip is no different than any other form of strength training. Hard work pays off.

True, but that would be easily fixed if all those guys worked their deadlifts as hard as they work their grip. I think it's as simple as that. I know many guys don't take the rest of their training as seriously, for whatever reason they might have. It's easier to work your grip hard than it is to work your deadlifts hard, that's one.

Hand size...plus you probably don't work/haven't worked your deadlift as hard as your grip.

You are right, but that does give some general guidelines how strong women can get. Add above average handsize (for a woman), strong body structure and serious will to close harder grippers to that and results may be far better than you anticipate.

I think grip differs only in one way: it doesn't have that much appeal to women. But yes, it will be tough, but not impossible by any means.

Teemu...why does anyone need to train their deadlift? If someone people only want to do grip, that is their choice.

I think Elizabeth is the choice for a woman to close the 3, but I don't think it will happen.

Also, why does a woman need above average handsize? I'm pretty sure you've said on numerous occasions that handsize isn't an issue.

We can all debate this till the cows come home, but the fact is that there are some women who train grip hard and there have been 0 #3 closers among the female population.

Teemu...why does anyone need to train their deadlift? If someone people only want to do grip, that is their choice.

I think Elizabeth is the choice for a woman to close the 3, but I don't think it will happen.

Also, why does a woman need above average handsize? I'm pretty sure you've said on numerous occasions that handsize isn't an issue.

We can all debate this till the cows come home, but the fact is that there are some women who train grip hard and there have been 0 #3 closers among the female population.

I'm not Teemu, but I think he was making a response to Hubgeezer's comment that Hubgeezer can outpull Julie Havelka by 70 lbs on the RT, but she outpulls him by 100 lbs on a deadlift. It sounds like Teemu believes that an explanation for this would be

1) Hand size

2) training for the deadlift

Hand size makes a big difference for thick bar work (revolving handle or not). So although JH's deadlift pull might be better because she (possibly) focuses on the deadlift more than Hubgeezer, Hubgeezer's handsize advantage is enough for him outpull her on the RT.

In spite of the (valid) sentiment that hand size should not be used as an excuse for being unable to close big grippers, when you're talking CCS (and especially TNS), hand size does make a difference. Let's not conflate derision for whining ("stop complaining about your handsize and get stronger") with believing that an advantage doesn't exist ("handsize isn't an issue"). Yes, you can overcome small hand size by getting stronger, but larger hands are still an advantage in closing grippers with a CCS or wider.

A woman doesn't "need" above average hand size, but it would definitely help in CCS closing a new #3 out of the package (which is the current $1100 challenge).

"The difficult we'll do immediately, the impossible will take a little longer." A saying I heard once.

4 minute mile - impossible

500# overhead - impossible

Man on the moon - impossible

Woman closing the #3 - impossible

Hey wait a minute - if history has any meaning at all, the word impossible means more like improbable in the context especially of sports and strength. Some day I believe it will happen, some genetic freak who actually finds grippers as addicting as we men do and has all the attributes necessary will do it. It may and probably will be years from now, I don't know but I think it will happen. Possibly will be done first by a she-male with a little chemical assistance but once it's been done - others will do it as well - a lot of it is believing that it's possible - for you. No doubt mash monster set done first, and that will be quite a milestone for women everywhere - and it may be a "light" #3 but there's quite a few light gripper certs on there already it seems. My prediction is a MM set done on their personal practice gripper within the year 2007. Men had the MM set for years to develop a belief system that we can close the #3 - women should get that same advantage I think in the beginning - then kick them up to what many believe is a much much harder cert process - ie CC set. I know the bet is CC set - but let's give them the same chance everyone but one person (Tex) had for certing.

I think within the next year a woman could close an "easy" 3 with a mash monster set. Fresh #3 out of the package with a credit card set, no way. I don't care if she's assisted or not.

1. How much you can deadlift means NOTHING about grip strength. Just because she deadlifts 100lbs more then you, im POSITIVE that you can hold on to more weight with a mixed grip then she can, just like you can pull more lbs on a RT.

2. A women WILL eventually close a #3. I dont think closing a #3 is impossible by any means. I dont think a women will every close a #4 CCS. You are trying to tell me that if a women with a good weightlifting background who has a strong base of strengh established and trains grip specifically for closing a #3 wont achieve this in lets say 5 years of training?

Grip is different.

So your twisting my words..fine.

Your first question..what is that all about? It has nothing to do with anything I've said. Except the words "deadlift" and "grip".

You are right, I've said handsize isn't an issue. We have talked about men then, so don't twist my words. Hand size in this case, when we are talkin about women, is a different thing, but not an "issue". Average handsize for women is smaller, so if a woman has above average handsize she is more likely to be more talented than a really small woman with really small hands. I do think that hand size isn't an issue, I don't see controversy there. I noticed you didn't understand what I said but bdckr did understand it, so how did you miss it?

Edited by Teemu I

Any woman talented enough to have the potential to close the #3 with a credit card set is going to discover a better outlet for her talents long before getting obssesed enough with grip work, especially grippers, to realize the potential to close a #3 out of the package with a credit card set.

Also, the women closing the number two are exceptional strength athletes. Some of the best in the world. To go from closing a #2 with a good set to closing the #3 out of a package with a credit card set is at least a 50% improvement over their current strength levels.

I find it hard to believe these women are leaving that much of their hand strength potential untapped. They have access to the best training equipment and know their bodies very well. I don't think they are leaving that much strength on the table due to lack of drive.

i spent way too long reading this thread...my conclusions:

1) no woman, as of yet, has closed a 3. will one in the future? with training, most likely.

2) deadlifters have strong hands. people who train their hands to be strong probably have stronger hands than an average deadlifter.

3) you don't wear a powerlifting suit to close a gripper. and we are discussing suits because they do what to grip strength?

Grip is different.

Your first question..what is that all about? It has nothing to do with anything I've said. Except the words "deadlift" and "grip".

You are right, I've said handsize isn't an issue. We have talked about men then, so don't twist my words. Hand size in this case, when we are talkin about women, is a different thing, but not an "issue". Average handsize for women is smaller, so if a woman has above average handsize she is more likely to be more talented than a really small woman with really small hands. I do think that hand size isn't an issue, I don't see controversy there. I noticed you didn't understand what I said but bdckr did understand it, so how did you miss it?

wow...i must be blind then...i could have sworn that you said "True, but that would be easily fixed if all those guys worked their deadlifts as hard as they work their grip. I think it's as simple as that. I know many guys don't take the rest of their training as seriously, for whatever reason they might have. It's easier to work your grip hard than it is to work your deadlifts hard, that's one."

Oh wait...u did say that. again, I ask, why does someone have to train their deadlift? if someone only wants to train grip that is their decision.

So you know the average handsize for women? I guess you went around measuring the hands of thousands of women to come to your conclusion? What is the average hand size for a women? So the handsize issue is just for women? only a woman with above average handsize for a woman will be talented in grip?

I don't understand what you mean teemu and i don't think you do either. Please don't respond to my questions as you will just not read them thoroughly enough to answer them. That's just some stuff for you to think about.

Elizabeth Talbot trains her grip much harder than many men, including myself, but i could do anything she has done. She is probably the best female grip athlete ever. David, what is her best gripper close and how far was her best with an average #3 using any kind of set?

Edited by joeyg

Joey,

Her best with a #3 gripper (rated at 2.96 by Mikael) was to get it to 1/4" with a parallel set. She has closed a Super Master gripper.

David

Grip is different.

wow...i must be blind then...i could have sworn that you said "True, but that would be easily fixed if all those guys worked their deadlifts as hard as they work their grip. I think it's as simple as that. I know many guys don't take the rest of their training as seriously, for whatever reason they might have. It's easier to work your grip hard than it is to work your deadlifts hard, that's one."

Oh wait...u did say that. again, I ask, why does someone have to train their deadlift? if someone only wants to train grip that is their decision.

So you know the average handsize for women? I guess you went around measuring the hands of thousands of women to come to your conclusion? What is the average hand size for a women? So the handsize issue is just for women? only a woman with above average handsize for a woman will be talented in grip?

I don't understand what you mean teemu and i don't think you do either. Please don't respond to my questions as you will just not read them thoroughly enough to answer them. That's just some stuff for you to think about.

Elizabeth Talbot trains her grip much harder than many men, including myself, but i could do anything she has done. She is probably the best female grip athlete ever. David, what is her best gripper close and how far was her best with an average #3 using any kind of set?

I wouldn't say your blind, you just want to twist my words and you have amazingly negative attitude that's all. Once again, quote me all you want but you did understand me wrong, or maybe you try to annoy me, which is more likely in your case.

Hand size..you see that as an issue, I don't.

As far as your request not answering your questions, don't worry, I will not bother after this. But I do read everything I reply to thoroughly and there's nothing wrong with my english.

How did you come up with something like I don't understand myself what I say..hmm... I bet if I had attitude like yours I would take that as an insult.

There's not much point to reply to you thoroughly enough. I will not waste my time for that, you have showed what your attitude is.

Edited by Teemu I

Grip is different.

"True, but that would be easily fixed if all those guys worked their deadlifts as hard as they work their grip. I think it's as simple as that. I know many guys don't take the rest of their training as seriously, for whatever reason they might have. It's easier to work your grip hard than it is to work your deadlifts hard, that's one."

It's not like majority in the world train for full-body strength anyway, so training grip is already better than most people. So you're either saying everyone should work out their full body, which is obvious because it's better for you, or you're saying someone who trains one thing for strength should train their whole body too, when not most people don't do either so you're pretty much back to the first option.

joeyg and Teemu... Let`s stop with the animosity posts toward one another please. Not good! Thanks.

No problem!

"True, but that would be easily fixed if all those guys worked their deadlifts as hard as they work their grip. I think it's as simple as that. I know many guys don't take the rest of their training as seriously, for whatever reason they might have. It's easier to work your grip hard than it is to work your deadlifts hard, that's one."

It's not like majority in the world train for full-body strength anyway, so training grip is already better than most people. So you're either saying everyone should work out their full body, which is obvious because it's better for you, or you're saying someone who trains one thing for strength should train their whole body too, when not most people don't do either so you're pretty much back to the first option.

No, you got me wrong there. I said that only to point out, that grip is no different: it all depends what you choose to work hard. I doubt Julie Havelka has worked her grip as hard as many grip specialist guys on this board.

Edited by Teemu I