Women #3

Rocksurly

I bet If jake Brooks wife Tara Trained grippers she would have a shot at it . I know she has closed a 2 befor and put some hurt on some 3s, but never closed them.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• Matt Van Weele

• joeyg

• Bill Piche

Bencrush,

You're totally right, with a good incentive Elizabeth would definitely do it. I've seen her get a #3 to 1/4" and she doesn't really train grippers that much.

Also like you said there are some very strong ladies out there, who I believe if they have the hand strength and hand size would do it as well.

David

David, as weird as it sounds, if I was a millionaire I would offer her (ET) $100,000 for proof of an MMS #3 close. That would be some big stuff in my book. :rock You can officially hold me to this offer if my personal training business takes off in the future and I suddenly become rich beyond belief.

I guess only time will tell if a woman will close a #3...and is that just close or certify under current rules?...I do not doubt there are many talented women but keeping the motivation long enough to close the grippers is the key....especially when doing so competes with other more popular activities WS, PL, rockclimbing, etc.....

would be interesting to know how much test Becca is taking...

I'll put a statement on the line.

Provided the #3 isn't an anonomly easy #3 out of the package....

There won't be a woman certifying on a #3 with the current IM rules in my lifetime. This statement also includes women that have no artificial means applied (whatever it might be). :cool

This statement is based on current data on how many MEN are racking up IM certs.

If this is outside the rules, please delete it Bill but why is it that the drugs seemingly do not affect grip strength increases the same way they do strength in other body parts - I would think the muscle fibers would react the same way no matter where they are in the body.

It doesn't seem like good odds since there hasn't been one yet, but I believe it's possible. Some woman out there is about to stumble across the Gripboard and say, "I can do that."

I also think that Ironmind should allow women to cert under the same rules for the #2.

Bill, how about a Mash Monstress cert on the CoC2? Maybe all the woman need is some recognition along the way! The Gripboard could create some momentum behind this.

i'll give it a go once i get my base strength up first if you really want to see a woman try to get it. i am currently able to only close a T once non cc, then fall short on a second attempt and am a little over a 1/4" from a 1. i tried the T with a cc set just now and was 3/8" short. my hands are 6 5/8", so it should be really interesting to see how close i can get, if i not actually make it. since i decided to make a jourmal here when i started to formally grip train recently, i'l be able to know how long it took from the beginning once at that point. should be a fun experiment.

I'll put a statement on the line.

Provided the #3 isn't an anonomly easy #3 out of the package....

There won't be a woman certifying on a #3 with the current IM rules in my lifetime. This statement also includes women that have no artificial means applied (whatever it might be). :cool

This statement is based on current data on how many MEN are racking up IM certs.

Exactly! Just as I don't see anyone certing on the #4 under these new rules.

i'll give it a go once i get my base strength up first if you really want to see a woman try to get it. i am currently able to only close a T once non cc, then fall short on a second attempt and am a little over a 1/4" from a 1. i tried the T with a cc set just now and was 3/8" short. my hands are 6 5/8", so it should be really interesting to see how close i can get, if i not actually make it. since i decided to make a jourmal here when i started to formally grip train recently, i'l be able to know how long it took from the beginning once at that point. should be a fun experiment.

Good luck.

Edited by menace3000

Exactly! Just as I don't see anyone certing on the #4 under these new rules.

Someone will do it, just wait...

If this is outside the rules, please delete it Bill but why is it that the drugs seemingly do not affect grip strength increases the same way they do strength in other body parts - I would think the muscle fibers would react the same way no matter where they are in the body.

At 15 old im NO expert, but i think it is because there are (almost) only tendons in the hands. the thumb and the muscle under ur pinky are muscle ofc.

it would give them bigger forearms and some extra grip but not much.

Two things I know:

1. I like women

b. I like grippers

However, my other favorite things don't always mix (i.e. milk and Dr. Pepper is never a good combination)

Physically, there's absolutely no reason why some gifted women couldn't get to the point where they could MMS close #3. It's ridiculous to say that it isn't possible. Yes it is possible! In reality though, you would have hard time finding a woman willing to go through all that it takes. Quite a lot of hard work and lost skin. I'd estimate it to be a feat comparable to men closing BBSE or maybe even #4. Just because most people don't get there doesn't mean it can't be done. Reasoning like "since I can't do it, no way a woman can" just isn't good enough.

I saw a video of a 150-lb girl (woman) - Kara Bohigian or something? - standing pressing 235 lbs overheard, strict, for 5 reps. Also the same girl (woman) bench pressing 402 lbs competition style. Apparently she also squats over 600. She is a 150 lb girl (woman) who out-lifts nearly everybody I've ever known in my life. If a 150 lb girl (woman) can do all this, surely some woman, if she ever puts her mind to it, will close a # 3.

Here's Kara Bohigian benching 402 at 148 bodyweight:

Here's Kara Bohigian standing military pressing at least 235 lbs for 5 reps at 148 bodyweight:

(Edit: Actually it looks like she does about 195 for 5 reps, then does about 235-245 for a single, with really thick 45-lb plates)

Here's Becca Swanson bench pressing 551 pounds!!!! (Hysterical how her arms are held forward like Frankenstein by her bench suit, though)

Edited by TelegraphKey

A few thoughts for what it's worth.......... Looking at body mass and compaired male/female lifting records,credit card width close and the rarity of female gripsters...............Unless greatly aided by "supplements" AND posessing an amazing grip I will say an educated "no". There are MANY strong men far stronger than any woman who has lived that haven't shut the three. As for Ed Coan a really nice guy and great lifter with LARGE and obviously strong (901 dl) hands. He was dragged up to me by Larry Pacifico (10 time world power champion) saying "this IS the guy to shut your gripper!"He gave the #3 a real hard squeeze judging from his red face and rare sight of veins bulging in his forehead. I did think he would do it and he honestly came pretty close (3/8 to 1/2") but did not shut it. He used a wide "credit card" width set if you could call it that and was totally unskilled other than applying pressure. In my opinion if he trained "some" he could have closed it. The #2 was not tried but would have not been an issue to him. In closing ....Personally, I would offer a 1000.00 to any woman that would successfully shut a #3 in front of me under official rules set forth by Ironmind during the next 365 days.

I saw a video of a 150-lb girl (woman) - Kara Bohigian or something? - standing pressing 235 lbs overheard, strict, for 5 reps. Also the same girl (woman) bench pressing 402 lbs competition style. Apparently she also squats over 600. She is a 150 lb girl (woman) who out-lifts nearly everybody I've ever known in my life. If a 150 lb girl (woman) can do all this, surely some woman, if she ever puts her mind to it, will close a # 3.

Here's Kara Bohigian standing military pressing at least 235 lbs for 5 reps at 148 bodyweight:

(Edit: Actually it looks like she does about 195 for 5 reps, then does about 235-245 for a single, with really thick 45-lb plates)

Here's Becca Swanson bench pressing 551 pounds!!!! (Hysterical how her arms are held forward like Frankenstein by her bench suit, though)

Not to burst your bubble, but those are bumper plates. Those could be 10kg plates for all we know. She's powercleaned and jerked 92kg...far off strict pressing 225 for 5.

Also, she can bench 225 like 7-10 times raw..that does equal a 400lb bench in my book. Shirts and suits mean nothing.

I don't think a woman will be closing a 3.

Grip is different. Julie Havelka has a website, and has quite a bit of space dedicated to grip and Rolling Thunder. Except for the Gripboard and Grippermania, as much as you will find anywhere else. Julie is not nearly as strong as Kara, but they are friends, and I doubt if there are half a dozen women in the US who are stronger than Julie. Her numbers are on her website. She can close a #2. I met her at a Rolling Thunder contest in Portland last year, and Kara was there as well.

Julie cannot do 140 in the Rolling Thunder, and she is VERY strong. For whatever reason, big grip numbers are harder to put up for women than big barbell numbers. I think a #4 for a man is much easier than a #3 for a woman.

I would say possible, but highly unlikely. I would also like to add $100 to the R. Sorin challenge. I only bet what I can afford to lose, and I can't afford to lose $1000.

Hbgzr

With as few a men that will be closing the 3 under the yet again new IM rules I seriously doubt a woman will be doing it under those conditions. A MMO cert....maybe with a LOT of training!!

Edited by pdoire

A few thoughts for what it's worth.......... Looking at body mass and compaired male/female lifting records,credit card width close and the rarity of female gripsters...............Unless greatly aided by "supplements" AND posessing an amazing grip I will say an educated "no". There are MANY strong men far stronger than any woman who has lived that haven't shut the three. As for Ed Coan a really nice guy and great lifter with LARGE and obviously strong (901 dl) hands. He was dragged up to me by Larry Pacifico (10 time world power champion) saying "this IS the guy to shut your gripper!"He gave the #3 a real hard squeeze judging from his red face and rare sight of veins bulging in his forehead. I did think he would do it and he honestly came pretty close (3/8 to 1/2") but did not shut it. He used a wide "credit card" width set if you could call it that and was totally unskilled other than applying pressure. In my opinion if he trained "some" he could have closed it. The #2 was not tried but would have not been an issue to him. In closing ....Personally, I would offer a 1000.00 to any woman that would successfully shut a #3 in front of me under official rules set forth by Ironmind during the next 365 days.

This has to go to David Horne!

Richard and Hubgeezer,

The offer so far has been noted. I will tell Elizabeth when she gets up. Right now she is doing no grip training, instead doing bodybuilding and fitness training along with being a mother and wife.

I think the credit card setting could be the thing that stops this happening for any woman. As I said earlier in this thread the woman will also need large hands as well as a strong grip.

Anyway if anyone else feels like adding to the pot feel free to do.

I'll tell you later what she says.

David

Also, she can bench 225 like 7-10 times raw..that does equal a 400lb bench in my book. Shirts and suits mean nothing.

Wow, for real, using a suit can translate a 7-10 X 225 raw bench into 400? I got to get me a suit & see what I can do...

I bet if a girl (or anybody) had a "grip suit" (mega-tight "power" glove) the #3 would fall in a heartbeat.

Also...You didn't respond to the fact that Becca Swanson (not Kara Bohigian) bench pressed 551. I don't care what kind of suit she used, that translates into at least roughly a 400 lb raw bench.

(How much can you bench?)

You're telling me that a woman can bench 400+ raw, more than most men on earth (including most #3 closers), yet no woman will "ever" close a #3?

Yah, right.

Wow, for real, using a suit can translate a 7-10 X 225 raw bench into 400? I got to get me a suit & see what I can do...

I bet if a girl (or anybody) had a "grip suit" (mega-tight "power" glove) the #3 would fall in a heartbeat.

Also...You didn't respond to the fact that Becca Swanson (not Kara Bohigian) bench pressed 551. I don't care what kind of suit she used, that translates into at least roughly a 400 lb raw bench.

You're telling me that a woman can bench 400+ raw, more than most men on earth (including most #3 closers), yet no woman will "ever" close a #3?

Yah, right.

Good post! There's absolutely no physical reason for women to not be able to close #3.

Edited by Teemu I

If you look at the ratio of men who can close a #2 and then go on to close a #3, it would seem to be fairly low (in the "real" world, not just the gripboard!). If the same ratio holds true for women, and their are only a handfull of these lovely creatures mashing a #2.........

Unless greatly aided by "supplements" AND posessing an amazing grip I will say an educated "no".

I agree with 1stCOC on this and basically stated the same thing about supplements being a condition. It has to be according to the current IM rules too. Out of the package #3 close CCS.

Yah, right.

Sorry, but you can use a ratio to see how much someone could get out of a bench shirt. Gene Rychalk(sp) has benched over 1000 in bench shirt, yet the raw bench record of 715 belongs to someone else. That means Gene is getting 315lbs+ out of his shirt.

Has Becca really benched 400 raw or are you assuming so? I'm not going to comment on her because that topic is illegal on this board.

I'm not saying that people who use equipment don't work hard, but i've heard stories of people that needed 400lbs on a bar just to get it to touch their chest..it was almost like an inverted row.

A woman will not close a 3