Women #3

Rocksurly

if a woman can close a #2, and i know there are some that can, then i have no doubt that there can be some who can close a #3 in time... IF they work for it.

problem is most women have absolutely no interest in gaining strength as most guys do.

stay strong!! :rock

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• Matt Van Weele

• joeyg

• Bill Piche

Liz Talbot will do it.

I have to agree, If Mr Horne says that she was getting it down to 1/4" then surely by concentrating on that feat only she would eventually get it??!!

I'm a believer...

Digz.

Becca just squatted 827 in training using WPC rules.

Who here can squat that? Anyone? Anyone?? :mellow

I can squat that and more with my poly suit. Not to say that Becca's lift is not impressive. It certainly is.

I bet that if a man that weighed what Becca does and had the same suit on , and did the same weight that there wouldn't be near as much bad mouthing going on. And who's got more TEST in them ? I know it's easy to squat big weight with a suit on,,,,, right ? Well, to all of you that think that, I challenge you to get a suit , film it, and prove me wrong. I would bet that 75% of the people on this board could not even take 827 out of the rack let alone go down and up with it.

I agree. I'm not sure what she weighs, but that is a heck of a squat any way you slice it.

My opinion is...

There are guys that can close a #4 then I'm almost positive there will be a woman that will close a #3. Put $$$ on the table and they will flock.

I imagine some female throwers, especially the highland females and female arm wresltlers could do it.

I think there are some women capable of the #3 but only those that are genetically gifted. I think almost any woman could close the #2 if they were willing to train for it, kind of like men on the #3. Some men out there are never going to close the #4 no matter how much they train but the #3 is within reach for almost all men. I think the #3 is the "#4" for women.

"I think almost any woman could close the #2 if they were willing to train for it"

That's funny, considering I haven't personally met any man that can close my #1 or #2. As for all men closing the #3, LOL. Ed Coan, one of the greatest powerlifters ever was not able to close a #2 the 1st time he tried despite deadlifting around 900 lbs. Closing a 3 is beyond almost anyone's abilities and I seriously doubt any woman will close it soon.

"I think almost any woman could close the #2 if they were willing to train for it"

That's funny, considering I haven't personally met any man that can close my #1 or #2. As for all men closing the #3, LOL. Ed Coan, one of the greatest powerlifters ever was not able to close a #2 the 1st time he tried despite deadlifting around 900 lbs. Closing a 3 is beyond almost anyone's abilities and I seriously doubt any woman will close it soon.

I think the statement that any man can close the #3 if they train for it is quite a stretch. I think you need some decent grip genetics to do it. But there are many, many men who could close the #3 if they cared to train for it.

As for no man closing your #1 or #2, I guess it all depends on who you hang around with--almost everyone I train with regularly can close a #2--off the top of my head that is about 6 people counting myself, and out of those 6, 3 can close the #3 and 1 more is about 1/16th of an inch away. That fact alone tells me that it is a very doable feat if you want it. If I could teach our female training partner Kara how to set a gripper properly, I'm certain she would close the #2 in a relatively short time period.

A woman will eventually close the #3.

What are you talking about?? My brother barely missed closing his #2 right out of the package and now closes it with ease. He's a big kid but he doesn't weight train and has never trained grip before. Depending on who you talk to and what you consider grip training there are people that have closed #3's right out of the package. I've heard this about Ed Coan before but Ed Coan is a powerlifter(best ever IMO), NOT Gripster. If he trained for it I'm sure Ed Coan could close the #2 with EASE. When a 14 year old can close the #3 I don't think it's beyond almost everyone's abilities. I don't think any woman will close a #3 soon because I don't think anyone that has the potential is training specifically for a #3 right now. From what I understand Liz Talbot is about 1/4" away but is concentrating on other things. Mary M., Becca Swanson, Jill Mills, and maybe Shannon Hartnett would be my other picks(I'm sure I missed some) and I don't think any of them are hitting the KTA program at the moment :D

Jad, your brother and you are strong guys. Nobody has closed my #1, and nobody even close on my #2 (except me of course). The point I was making about Ed Coan was that even if you can support 900 lbs in a deadlift doesn't mean you can close a #2 on the first try. It takes good genetics to close a #2 and great to close #3 or better. As for who I've talked to, I'm sure almost (as in one in 10,000) all of them would have no idea what a #3 is and would think I was some kind of nut for trying to close one. Thank goodness there's the gripboard.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah only if my body had all tetosterone running through like Beca Swanson's does. The worst part is I'm a teenager and am probably right around testosterone peak.

Are ya shaving yet? :) ..if not, you still have some Test to go

Yeah I shave monthly but I'm sure not as often as Beca does.

:dry Yeah but you're shaving different bodyparts than Beca I would assume.

I guess the question now is will a woman ever close the COC #3 with the new rules hehe :D This will hurt them even more as they have smaller hands etc.

RE: I dont think it will happen naturally. Im not trying to bash women here but testosterone is a requirement for heavy lifting period.

Not really. I have substandard levels of same.

I never knew that closing a #2 on your first try meant you had good genetics. I just think it means that you have had a labor background. I roof ever summer for the past 3years. I'm 18now and the first time I ever set my #2 I shut it. However, it was a struggle.

Anyway as far as a woman closing a #3 with the new rules. It won't be anytime soon

• 2 years later...

I would also say yes,

for women with big genetics its very possible with hard training.

but most woman just will never train as hard as most man.

If you can hold onto 900 lbs, you WILL be able to close a #2...show him how to set it and watch the reps.
louis cyr could hold on that with 1 hand, do u think he could mash the #4 for some easy 10 reps?

coan and cyr probably both lack pinky (maybe some ring finger) strength and set technique and... the closing strength (to mash the last cm)

Steroids are well known to cause muscle tears.

yes but not always,

its because the muscle would get so strong and the tendon will get outlifted (my words :P) by the muscle, the tendon snaps. (mostly the bicep or calf)

ive seen this several times on realdutchpower.nl (the tire flip is notorious of this, it puts tremendous pressure on the bicep if handled with the wrong technique)

this is not always the fault of those steriods (or drugs :whacked )

also the fault of wrong technique, too much muscle training and too less tendon training etc.

omg im gettin off topic :tongue

If some millionaire would put up big money for the first woman to MMS close a #3 it would be done within a year's time. That short list of possible women: Elizabeth Talbot-Horne, and any woman currently closing the #2.

thought steroids build up muscle beyond tendons ability to support it...which causes tendon tears...not muscle tears..?

gripping is a very underground sport.....plus with little incentive to close grippers.....I doubt #3 will ever be closed by a woman...

Kind of amazing that there are still some here who think that a #3 close is out of the realm of women's abilities. Wow. :blink I would guess that any decent WSW competitor, with a big enough incentive, would be capable of MMS closing an average #3.

Not to mention the truly gifted genetic female monsters in elite powerlifting these days. Becca Swanson comes to mind first. And elite level female armwrestlers. Track & Field athletes...highland games athletes.

Bencrush,

You're totally right, with a good incentive Elizabeth would definitely do it. I've seen her get a #3 to 1/4" and she doesn't really train grippers that much.

Also like you said there are some very strong ladies out there, who I believe if they have the hand strength and hand size would do it as well.

David

If John Eaton's daughter sticks with it; I think she'll close one eventually. She's only 12 right now but she has perfect MMset technique and she can click thr Trainer like a toy.