Is this grip feat possible?

Guest Avi

Yesterday I let a guy I know try the #1 and the #2. He used to compete in some junior world powerlifting comp when he was younger, so is no stranger to strength. Anyway, he closed the #1, but not the #2.

He then mentioned that he knew this guy who he was SURE could close the #3. I asked why, and he described the following grip feat:

Pinch grip a single 45lb plate, and then raise your arm such that it's right out in front of your chest, with the plate still held properly. The plate doesn't droop, and neither does your wrist.

This isn't easy for me with 10lbs.

Now, I was wondering whether all those freaks (meant as a compliment) here who can pinch grip 2x45 and plate curl a 45lber could try this feat and tell me if they think it's doable.

I don't think this would translate to closing the #3 (pinch vs crush), but it would certainly be impressive!!

Avi

I believe that such a feat is possible. However, performing the feat does not indicate crushing ability.

I'm not sure what you mean when you describe the lift. Is the plate hanging down vertically from a bent wrist or is the plate held out horizontal? If horizontal, is it thumb up or thumb down? Horizontal, thumb down = impossible. Horizontal, thumb up = maybe.

• 6 years later...

NO :blink and if theres a video ill retract my answer and say i was wrong :D WRIST DOWN YES its mostly traps

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

Oh, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough.<p>The plate is straight out, VERTICAL. So your thumb is on the SIDE!<p>Avi

Horizontal! ;)

I'd love to see it and it seems it'd be doable but I somehow really doubt it.

It's an interesting pinch/wrist variation. Right hand pinch the end of a length of 2x4, with your thumb on the left. Raise your arm/hold it out so the thing is sticking straight out ahead. Place a plate on the 2x4 near your hand, and slowly slide it out.. how far can you go before the 2x4 slips and the plate slides off? I guess you start with the 2x4 on a table or something..

~Steve

id guess you're talking of a rubber plate cuss to pinch it, it would have to be smooth on both sides - for a metal plate, you cant really pinch it so no, but for a plate you can pinch, an oly plate, then yes it's possible

If the plate is held vertical then it's definitely possible.

I just tested it with a rubber 10kg (22lbs) plate and it wasn't that hard.

With some specific training a 20kg should definitely be doable ;)