Clubbells/kettlebells

anson

I made a pair using those plastic bats and sand like everyone is. The are around 11 pounds.

Then, I got a bit crazy, and loaded one with 10 pounds of tire balance weights (got 80pounds for $5 at a tire store). I used quick cement in the bat and added weights and cement slowly. Then water.

I'm not sure how it'll work. It is heavy as hell 20 pounds! I may have used a piece of rebar to reinforce it if I had it to do over. I hope the cement bonds and makes it strong enough. Time will tell. I can say A 20pound club is DAMN HEAVY!

I also need to recheck the weights. They might be a bit heavier, as my scale was damage when I dropped a keg on it :cry

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anson

• apdwler

• Sybersnott

• GordonV

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

Well, I was a little off on weights. I had them weighed on an official post office scale....

flour filled 6lbs ea

sand filled 12 lbs ea

cement filled 15 lbs ea

cement and lead tire weights 24.5 ea

They are all holding up fine so far. I think 25 is the outter limit for this type construction. I plan to make a heavier one out of stardard weight plates and pipe.

I really enjoy the movements. I'm mainly using them for warmups but as I get the movements down, I'll use as some normal lifts. I have the sand ones at work. They are a blast, as the ceilings are high. At the apt, overhead work is limited...

• 2 weeks later...
I would be afraid to use a loadable version of the CB, what if a plate came loose??!!??!

The PDA design of the loadable CB minimizes any risk of this, since the end of the club is fixed. If the collar were to loosen durring a swinging type movement, the centrifugal forces would be moving the plates away for the collar. If you were to notice the collar start to loosen, you could simply drop the bell. Your only concerns then would be the floor and making sure your feet are out of the way fast enough.

I also just made an adjustable one. I hope to have an article about all of them soon. To prevent the collar from coming off, I drilled a hole twards the end of the steel rod and but a bolt threw it....

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE! :yikesUPDATE! :yikesUPDATE! :yikesUPDATE!

Looking around my local grocery store, I stumbled upon the toy section and found some fat bats - PERFECT for filling with whatever you want to make clubbells!! BTW, this was at my Kroger. If anyone wants one, and can't find them where you are - PM me and I'll send ya one super cheap!! :happy

get the bats at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks. check out my gallery to see a pic of my homemade CB, i filled this one with sand, it's 15lbs. :inno

get the bats at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks.

That's what I paid at Kroger. BTW, Wal-Mart didn't have them - I looked.

the fat orange bat i found at wal-mart is called the "husky hitter". i also saw an air pressurized kid's bat at a sports shop that would be strong enough to hold lead.

cunny, the whole idea of the CB is that it's balanced down through the shaft and handle. what you're talking about sounds like a sledge, all the weight at one end. the more balanced weight of the CB feels much different than a sledge when it comes to the swings.

Got me two hushy hitter plastic bats here. Gonna fill em with sand

tomorrow and give them a try. Thanks for the info anson! :rock

Edited by bballdad

i also saw an air pressurized kid's bat at a sports shop that would be strong enough to hold lead.

Any more info on the air bat? Name or anything?

FYI The local Walmart just got some blue husky hitter's if color matter to you...

I also found a bat at Drug Town that is fatter. I need to go back and check it. I was half awake at the time. It appeared to be lighter plastic and thinner handle area, so it might no be of much use....

blue husky hitters, alright! not sure about the name of the air bat, but it's short, fat, and plastic, around $15. i'll post when i learn more info on it. mark, how'd the club turn out?

I picked myself up a pair of Husky Hitters yesterday, filled them with pea gravel and went to work. They're not very heavy, I'd say 20lbs tops. Think I might fill them with water too.

I didn't get a lot of time to play with them, but it seems you're limited to what exercises you can do. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of you were talking (and rightfully complaining) about KB and CB costs earlier on in this thread. I do distributing for www.mxkettlebell.de which is a forge in Volgograd, Russia. The KB's we have are in fact "Russian" Kettlebells and the prices will make you feel better about your financial situation... soon the forge is going to be making clubs too. Hopefully this helps some of you out.

One thing I like about working with them (that forge) is that they went ahead and made the 48kg KB. This beast is good for swings, and taxes the grip a great deal. If you can snatch it, all the better. I managed three shoulderdrop style snatches with it with my right hand. I think it was Dr. Randall Strossen (IronMind) who said the best grip exercises are pulling at heavy weight ballistically.

Having never trained with clubs, but with sledgehammers, one thing I noticed is a high degree of soreness in my wrists and the inside of my forearm afterwards... is that normal, even after a weeks time???

A lot of you were talking (and rightfully complaining) about KB and CB costs earlier on in this thread. I do distributing for www.mxkettlebell.de which is a forge in Volgograd, Russia. The KB's we have are in fact "Russian" Kettlebells and the prices will make you feel better about your financial situation... soon the forge is going to be making clubs too. Hopefully this helps some of you out.

Most people here are in the US. WIth the great problems you have getting them into Sweden to me past our rather lax customs, inside the european community (shipped from Germany base), do you think that shipping to the US of these "cartoon bomb like" objects will work out well? As to that, anyone here that has good suggestions on how to transport kettlebells (like from from Germany to Sweden...)?

UPS takes your bells, Nils. I sent you an email to ask you if you wanted to forward me the shipping which was 55.02€ or if you wanted me to send it collect... but you didn't answer yet. I mailed you on Thursday, May 20th, and I can send you an original copy of the message if you want. Thats for two 16k's as you are getting one for free. (Unless you'd rather have a 16 and a 24)...

The reason they didn't let Andrey through (I think) is because they weren't packed. Your bells, and the Danish orders were brought personally by him in his bus as I was trying to save you shipping... and time... which turned out not to work so well. Now that UPS is taking over deliveries, the freight will be a little more, but it will be faster and without border problems.

Drop me an e-mail.

UPS takes your bells, Nils. I sent you an email to ask you if you wanted to forward me the shipping which was 55.02€ or if you wanted me to send it collect... but you didn't answer yet. I mailed you on Thursday, May 20th, and I can send you an original copy of the message if you want. Thats for two 16k's as you are getting one for free. (Unless you'd rather have a 16 and a 24)...

The reason they didn't let Andrey through (I think) is because they weren't packed. Your bells, and the Danish orders were brought personally by him in his bus as I was trying to save you shipping... and time... which turned out not to work so well. Now that UPS is taking over deliveries, the freight will be a little more, but it will be faster and without border problems.

Drop me an e-mail.

So it worked that well! Sorry about the reply then, I will drop you an email since your thursday email seems to have disappeared!