Clubbells/kettlebells

anson

Get a kid's aluminium softball bat, drill a hole in it, fill with lead shot, there you go.

Cheap, workable clubbell.

I'm thinking about going over to Wal-Mart and getting that cheap kid's oversized baseball bat - and then filling that sucker with concrete. Waddya think?? :tongue

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anson

• apdwler

• Sybersnott

• GordonV

i think this would work well- does anyone know how the weight of sand compairs to concrete?

I may try this too. I have a bunch of lead I can melt down. That should give it some weight.

I used KB's for a year or so, then sold them and used the money to get Clubbells, which I love and I think are the best.

JasonL :blink

What are some good exercises to do with the Clubbells?

To get the weight up you'll likely need lead. You can buy shot for like shotguns, but that is costly. I've heard you can get old lead wheel weights, often free at tire dealers. I can't confirm it yet, however...

I got a bucket of lead tire weights from a tire place for free, another place wanted $10 per bucket. I'd guess the bucket is pretty close to 100lbs.

I have a pair of Dragon Door KBs and like them mucho. They are the 70s. I plan on entering some comps so, I chose the more expensive route. Home mades are a good alternative though. high rep clean and jerks is my favorite. Snatches, swings, presses, front squats, and under leg passes are very cool too.

I built a club by going to my local metal scrap yard. Got 1.5" thick 14-16" steel rods and duct tape them up. added some more weight and put bicycle tape around the handle area. The grip is closer to 1.65+" now and total weight of ~12 lbs each. I just go for a walk with these and juggle them and etc. The thicker handle makes this weight a bit harder.

I like the bat Idea. I think I would put some rebarb or similar in the bat then pour a mix of sand and steel shot around it. This will give it a kind of a back bone for a stronger club. This should weigh more than ~25+ lbs to. All for about $8-$10.

I do not like having lead in my stuff cause I have kids and never know how much will leak out or ... anything can happen when you mix in kids.

-Keith-

I got a bucket of lead tire weights from a tire place for free, another place wanted $10 per bucket. I'd guess the bucket is pretty close to 100lbs.

John,

Do you know how to melt those suckers down? Be careful and use a well ventilated area to do that if you do. Otherwise.... :(

Here is what we used to make fishing sinkers when I was growing up.

Lead Melting Pot

You just dump the tire weights into it and melt them down. Use an old metal spoon to scrap all the crud off the top. Make sure you do it in a ventilated area (outside is best) and have heavy leather gloves. I burned the $h!t out of myself a few times.

Edited by br765

I've got a 24 kg kettlebell on order (they are a bit hard to get in Australia) but i've also got 2 x 16kg, 1 x 21kg and 1 x 26kg home made kettlebells.

They are made from 1 inch pipe, flat stock and 5 kg plates. They work ok but are a bit hard on the wrists during snatches sometimes.

There are heaps of KB resources on www.dragondoor.com (I found out about this board from their forum) but I don't have the videos yet.

I'm keen to get some of the KB juggling vids after i get my KB.

before you guys go making a fat bat full of lead you should try one just filled with sand. although it's really not that heavy there's a great deal of wrist strength needed to do some of the swings, if all you want to do is leveraging then you can just stick to a sledge. clubs are fun!

I haven't made one yet, but I would just add the wheel weights without melting. You could use cutting pliers to break them into smaller parts.

I'm going to make a couple lighter ones eventually. I do think the heavier you get the more have a good balance club is going to matter. I other words if you are going to buy any, I'd get heavy ones and make the lighter...

I made a plastic bat filled with sand yesterday. And it is surprising how difficult the little 15 pounders are. I'd highly recommend guys try the sand filled bat before the lead filled.

And by the way, these exercises REALLY tax the grip. I saw the comments on grip on the various webpages, and chalked it up to the individuals in question not training grip....Well, I was surprised to find that my grip was the weak link in several of the swings.

Overall tho', these things are very much fun.

you said it dude, these swings are wicked on the grip! believe me, a 15lb bat is all you need to start off with. last times i did swings for 15 min and my hands/forearms felt totally numb!!

my wife tried my club full of sand and it was too heavy(about 15 lb), so here's my new idea for a lighter club- fill it with rice! i figure it'll be about 7.5 lbs. i found a 20lb bag of rice at wallyworld for six bucks.

well the rice club worked like a charm! it's about 7.5 lb, and my 110lb wife can do the call to order and armpit castes with no trouble. i'm still working with her on the more dynamic swings and leveraging. i tried some swings while standing on my wobbleboard, this was wicked hard, i really felt it in my abs. BTW, the 20 bag of rice i bought was WAY too much, shoulda been smart and just stuck with the 10lb bag.

ah, eating rice now there's an idea!! the thing is this rice is cheep and dosn't taste very good. i'm vegetarian and grew up eating rice, i eat rice everyday, i guess you could say that i'm a rice snob! if i'm eating white rice i want japanease sushi rice or korean chewy rice, i also love wild rice( but at $8/lb i don't get it very often, it has a very nice nutty/gamey taste). i mostly stick to long or short grain brown rice, this stuff is better for you since it's not refined. rice rules :happy