Red Hands

Guest JimT

I was at grappling practice tonight, and the guy I was rolling with was in a good position to see my hands, and he said, in kind of a shocked voice, "are your hands okay?  are you getting circulation in them?"  

I thought they were fine, didn't feel anything wrong, so I just told him it must have been the grip workout i did last night.

Now, I don't have any pain and I can't remember if my hands are ever red the next day or two after training, but it did kind of concern me, because we stopped practicing for a second and I was looking at my hands, and they (the palms) are pretty red - - even now, they are still kind of red.

Last night i did grippers and steel bending (i just added bending in the workout last week) - - maybe they are always red the day after a work out and I never noticed -- anyone else have this phenomena?

Guest CanadaCrush

My hands get white after a tough practice if anything. Were you training gi tops? Maybe his gi was bothering you. Next time I roll I'll have to see if my hands turn red or not.

-Mark

Guest kINGPIN

Sounds pretty normal to me.  What you are talking about sounds to me like 'edeama' , sorry if that is spelt wrong.  It is what happens when you get a massage.  The skin gets warm, the blood comes to the surface and makes the skin look red.  When I used to practice grappling with my mates that would happen all over.  There is a lot of abrasion involved.  Just my opinion.

I'm starting to think the same thing.  I think I just never noticed before, and since he pointed it out, all of a sudden it started looking strange.  Also, since we switched from no-gi to gi, I think I was grabbing the gi alot more, instead of using hook grips, and that was rubbing my hands alot.  Anyway, they are fine now, probably just the gi.  Thanks, guys.

Jim