Hand strength is weird

That post about Kingpin made me remember to tell you guys my weird stroy with the number 2.

I first closed the #2 on Friday, 9-14-10.  I wasn't really training, but I gave it my all on that rep. I was pretty shocked, and happily told my friend who was sitting next to me (this was at school) about it.

The next time I closed the #2 was Saturday, 11-3-01.  Quite a big gap, no?  I just couldn't do it in the time between.  Weird thing was, this time it felt quite easy.  I closed it a couple times that night.

Things have been normal since then.  Training session after the second close, I did 2 reps, then next time 2, then 3.  Apparently the state record for New Mexico is 12 reps, so I should be there in a few weeks hopefully.

I am hoping to close the #3 before my 18th birthday, which would make me the youngest and lightest (I weigh 130lbs) CoC.  I had a friend who is a blacksmith build me a grip machine, so that should help some.  And He is going to build me some farmers walk bars and other thickhandled stuff.  So that should all help.

Isn't it weird how your strength with grippers can vary all the time?

Michael Falkov

Guest steiner1014

??? I agree Quick!!   I think it has more to do with mental then physical.   Some days I physically feel great yet the workout fizzles out.   Other days I am dragging my butt yet the workout goes great because I am mentally into it.   Good luck in the future Bud!!!

STEIN

Guest AghastGrip

I've also found this to be true! After I closed my #2, it was several months before I was able to close it again. Now it feels like a peice of cake.... Well, at least on my right hand!  ;)

Strength gains in general in the human body aren't linear at all, and you reach plateaus that can take a long time to break sometimes, or you can even go backwards due to over/undertraining! Strength training in general is so multi-faceted.

-Zack-

Guest kINGPIN

I always seem to be stronger at night then in the afternoon.  I am having to do my grip training in the late morning due to work comitments.  It was in the evening that I closed the #2 so I am going to try and recreate the same circumstanses next time I go for it as no matter how hard I tryed this morning it just did not happen.  Having said that I was squating and training back last night so it has taken it out of me.  The only thing that works in weight training is persistance, if you have that, you will always succeed.

Aghastgrip, I hope its not 7 months before I close mine again. :(

QuickGrip, how do you know that 12 reps on the #2 is the state record, and who keeps track of these things?  I don't mean this as a challenge, I'm just curious.  Do you know any other state records for CoC closure reps?

after i first closed the #2 it took me a week to close it again and the few times it's been closed since have all been at night. whenever i've tried in the morning or afternoon i miss the close.

QuickGrip,

The Saturday morning before I officially got certified on the #3 - I felt really strong.  I mean, I woke up and my hands were "throbbing", which I had never felt before.  It's like my hands were telling me, "I could crush some steel today!".  I happened to have my camcorder set up, so I woke up, got dressed, grabbed my #3, and started filming.  I was able to close the #3 with no hesitation.  That's very rare - at least for me.  Usually, I hit my strength peak somewhere between late afternoon and mid-evening.  So you may be on to something!  Keep track of your progress - yes, different times of the day you are stronger, and others, you are not so strong.

I too feel much stronger at night.  Strange thing though: The first time I closed the #2 ever, it was at about 9:30am or so.  Weird huh?

Sybersnott: Thats awesome!  I hope that happens to me the morning I will go to get certified!  Any chance of uploading that video?

RiotGrip:  A lady who was running a store that sells CoC's told me.  I told her I needed a #3 as I had recently closed the #2.  She said: "Oh, well the record to beat is 12!"  I asked her what she meant and she told me about someone closing the #2 for 12 reps in some type of weight lifting competition out here.

I also asked her how many people she knows about who are able to close  the #2.  The owner of the store, that guy with the record, and now me.

The guy who owns that store is really into grip.  He told me about a grip machine he is working on to cover every aspect of grip hand strength.  I should tell him about the board, get him to post.

Steiner:  Thanks, you too!

Michael Falkov