New Tip from Brookfield

Guest woody36

I'm a little disappointed.  Maybe cover steel bending or something more directly related to grip...

I too was disappointed. Brick handling toughens the skin but does little as far as strengthening the grip. He could always demonstrate the use of various IronMind products.

Guest woody36

I know what you guy's mean, i think he should just

show pics of himself with the Captain of Crush grippers,

Every month he could be in a different location,say

on the toilet.

And the caption could read.....

"Here's John repping the number 3, while he squeezes

out a number two".

Guest Daniel J

Unless you HAVE had a stone slip from you while you're trying to lift it I don't think you can appreciate this tip. I have found brick lifting to be quiet effective in increasing the grip necessary to lift rocks. It's also something you can practice progressively-much better than trying to find hundreds of rocks in different "special and perfect" sizes.

Nice Post Woody!!

Brick lifting is something that Goerner excelled in. Geoff Capes and Russel Bradley have also held records in it more recently, I believe. So it is something strong men excel in.

Recently there was a thread about lifting barbells by the rims. This is similiar, at least when you use enough bricks. I don't see how it could fail to help your all-round hand & wrist strength.

Chris McCarthy

Guest woody36

Chris,

I personally think anything Brookfield writes

about or recommends as got to be worth looking at,

Other people are seemingly not that impressed by

what one of the greats of our time has to say!

Guest kINGPIN

With all due respect to Mr Brookfield, I do feel that it is more of a isometric chest exercise then a grip one.  All that is stopping those bricks from moveing is how hard he squeeses them together using his pecs.  As said before though, it still looks hard and may help with stone lifting.  It could still be used to produce an incredible feat.

No one is knocking Mr. Brookfield.  It's just the tip is supposed to be about grip and I agree it's more of a "strongman" tip than a grip tip (and a test of chest strength, etc). That's all. Why not call it "strongman" tip of the month then? :)

Good points, Wannagrip and Kingpin, and I can see the distinctions you're trying to make. But, with the exception of the grippers, almost all of our "grip" feats require a great deal of strength throughout the body. One hand lifts need strong legs and back, plate curls strong arms and wrists, steel bending stong shoulders, wrists and arms etc.

I happen to have the 1989 edition of the (British) Guiness Book of Records before me. It has a picture of Geoff Capes lifting 26 bricks from a table to an upright position (the bricks are infront of his chest, probably receiving some support). They are so wide that he is holding the last bricks on with his middle and index finger. Impressive if nothing else.

The other thing is that I suppose when you have been giving out grip tips for a while you can kind of run out of things to say :-)

Chris McCarthy

Guest woody36

His column will i imagine cover a lot of aspects

regarding grip and alround strength,we just have to

wait for little gems that we as individuals find

interesting.It would be a pretty boring board if all

that was talked about were COC grippers and

calibration.

Guest kINGPIN

Just beacuse Mr Brookfield is giving us tips does not meen that we should all walk blindly like sheep and follow what he says.  As trainees it is up to us to assess and examine what he has said and make up our minds for ourselves based on the evidence.  That is a 'strongman tip' not a 'grip tip'.  I do not doubt that it interests a lot of people and may be of use to people for rock lifting but when it comes down to it, there are better ways to work the chest and back, why risk dropping a load of bricks on your foot for no reason.  

As always though, I do look forward to his next tip and can imagine there to be many good lil gems coming from his vast knowledge.