Thomas Inch Dumbbell

Sybersnott

I have come into some extra cash, and I'm thinking of getting a copy of the Thomas Inch Dumbbell.  Does anyone have it?  And if so, what are your opinions of it?  Would you say that it has helped you in your grip training?  I collect articles about the famous Inch, and wonder if anyone else does too?  I should mention that I have a thick-handled plate loading dumbbell, and use that in grip training - should I also get the Inch?

Anyone a fan of the Inch..... hey, give me a shout!

(p.s. - anyone wanting to unload their copy of the Inch - contact me please!  Let's talk.... I want one this summer!)

Guest JD79

Syber, how big is your db and how much are you using on it?  Also, do you rest the plates on your wrist?  This helps quite a bit but may not be possible on the Inch because of the globe weights.  Kevin Fulton will have one on display at his grip comp if you want to come down and give it a shot before buying one.  If I had the money I would probably get one but they are a very expensive investment.

JD

My opinion??    It is very intimidating and you must have a very strong grip to lift it!

I would say that it has limited value for training since it is a fixed weight.  One of the reasons I got one is for an added attraction to the grip contest and other USAWA meets that I promote.  Even if you can't lift it -- it makes a nice paperweight or doorstop!

Most people would not spend that kind of money for just one simple dumbell.  But it's not just any DB and I have never been one to spend my money on the more popular consumer goods.  I prefer to invest my money in farmland and strength equipment.  Is it worth it?   That just depends on your own priorities and interests and your taste for fine dumbells!  I've seen people spend a LOT more money for other things that I see absolutely no use for.   I can tell you my Thomas Inch DB will not be for sale anytime soon.

Why dont you plan a visit and have a go on my

"grip gauntlet" which one of the 8 test items

is the Inch bell.We have the Inch bells for

sale as well . After all, Columbia SC. is

pretty close to Atlanta. Regards, RS 621

Sorry to ask a stupid question! but would it possible for one of you guys to give a brief insight into the history of inch dumbell? I don't know anything about it at the moment as I'm new to grip and strength training in general.

Thanks

(Edited by jim at 11:07 am on June 2, 2001)

Guest woody36

Jim,

You can see Thomas Inch at both these sites

both excellent!

www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/gallery/gallery5.html

www.sandow.plus.com

also if you look at the links page on the Bigsteel site

you'll find the Sorinex site with pictures of people

lifting the inch replica.

Richard - Thanks for the invite.... I just might take you up on the offer.  I could make a visit on a weekend, if that's o.k. with you.  E-mail me when you're available and let's set something up.  BTW.... what EXACTLY is this "grip gauntlet" you talked about?

InchDisciple- Do you have a copy of the Inch?  What other stuff about the Inch do you have?  Maybe we could trade some stuff (I wish someone wrote a book.... if they have I don't know anything about it).

Kevin Fulton- You make some good points.  One of the reasons I am holding off on buying one is that you CAN'T adjust the weight - either you can pick it up, or you can't.  I want to train to be able to lift it in the way Inch did.  Still..... I would like to have one!

You guys are great.  This is why I LOVE the GripBoard so much!  A fountain of grip knowledge!!

Guest InchDisciple

I have known of Inch since I was 10 over 40 years ago . I even saw him on TV when he was almost 90 and still doing grip feats . I once had a book written 60 years ago by him in which he talked about the dumbbell and grip training . I myself have the Inch replica and also an adjustable Inch type dumbbell that I used to build up the strength needed to lift the replica. I did it microloading a 1/2 pound at a time . Rolling Thunder work helps also .

Sybersnott-

William Hinbern has a catalog and now a website with a Thomas Inch book at:

http://superstrengthbooks.com/products2.html

He's also got grip books from Jowett and Aston.  I've never ordered from him, but have been receiving his catalogs for years and have never heard anything negative about him.

BC.

Oops- sorry for the double-post.  Something was going on earlier and it didn't show my response after I posted so I tried again.

BC.

(Edited by bseedot at 3:56 pm on June 3, 2001)

Guest larrygr

I was given "A Manual of Physical Training" - a book by Thomas Inch.  After reading this I didn't think about Inch as just the challenge dumbell man, but as an innovator of many different groundbreaking techniques and ideas.  The Inch dumbell, and he had many not just the one that is copied now - was a small facet of the material listed in this book.  He also was rumored to have heavier challenge dumbells than this.  His biggest contribution to the iron game may have been that he was the inventor of the adjustable plate loading barbell.  I've just gotten a scanner and may be looking for a way to post these Inch pages sometime soon.  Also - hello to Inch Disciple.