Elite and/or #4 negatives ?

Tou

I'm making good progress on the #3. I still have 1/8 to dig on it. I was thinking about getting a #4 or a BB Elite to help me on my quest. Would shorter and harder negatives with the Elite or the #4 would be more effective than longer negatives with the #3 ?

I don't think I can hold the #4 closed even for a fraction of a second but the resistance provided might add this little thing I need to close the #3.

Waiting for your comments.

How about you probably won't be able to get the 4 within a half inch unless you do a major hump and then it is way out of position. :)

I would order one.  However, use it sparingly IMO.  I start to overtrain quick with #4 attempts or negatives.

I am curious as to your current program as you've come down from 3/4" to 1/8" in two months.

My program is simple. Twice a week on the grippers and some pinch grip. One warm up set with the #1 for 7-8 reps. One solid crush on the #2 (hold it for 5 seconds). Then I grab the #3 and give it 4-5 attempts. When I can't move the handles past 3/4, I do about 5 negatives with the #3.

Sometimes, I drop negatives and throw in some strap holds : #2 with 5 pounds.

Pretty basic and but it works well for me.

I think that my progress is due to a better hand positionning now than it was when I frist tried the #3. At first, I had a rough time to place the gripper properly without losing a lot of energy. It took me a few seconds to place the gripper so I was half-done when I came to try the close. Now, I place it easyly and I give it a solid crush.

You're right wannagrip, not only won't I hold the #4 closed but I won't hold it past a full inch. I will order the #4 and see what effect it is going to have on my training.

Thank you very much !

I should add that I dropped all weight training for summer. I stopped by may1st and concentrate on the grip only. Maybe this break has got me more focused in gripping, especially on the #3.

This is where you use a grip machine.  You can use the SW, or an Atlas - or your basic plate-loaded gripper.  Forget about using the #4..... I doubt you could cheat it shut or train with it.  It's not like a #1 or a #2 - it would probably be best served to guage your training progress.  You do have a definite goal and I admire you for that.  Work hard and heavy, and don't go overboard writing checks with your ego that you can't cash with your a**.  It's a real bummer to get injured.

Hey Sybersnott,

How can I make a SW ? Any pictures, plans ?

I'd be interested in a plate loaded gripper but it's expensive for me. I'm a student and I pay all my school expenses.

Tou,

I would suggest a little less work rather than more.  These grippers are really hard to recover from.  When I was working on my #3, I took 10 days off once due to job and family stuff.  When I trained my grippers again I closed the #3 for the first time.  After that I have always taken a week to 10 days between gripper workouts.  One other suggestion on your warm-ups.  Try 5 reps on the Trainer, 2 reps on the #1, then jump right to the #3.  The strength it is taking to hold that #2 closed for 5 seconds might be that extra edge you need for the last 1/8".

Hope this helps,

Kurtis

Thanks Kurtis. I'm going to drop that #2 close in my attempts with the #3. I don't have the T so I'm going to warm up properly, do 2-3 reps on the #1 and go for the #3.

When I'm training hard with weights (september to may), I train the grippers once a week only. I train them two days a week in summertime only.

Again, thank you for the advice !

Wannagrip,

Yep, I am Kurtis Bowler.  Just got an e-mail from PDA today, my calibrated grippers will be shipped today.  I am interested to see what the readings were.

Kurtis

Kurtis,

Welcome aboard.  I think you'll really like the discussions we have around here.  Have you started working on the #4?  Where are you from as it did not say so in your MILO profile?  How did you hear about the Grip Page?  Thanks.  Steve Weiner

Steve,

I am from Washington.  I have started working on the #4, and have it down to about 1".  I heard about this board a couple different ways.  Richard Sorin told me about it at the NSCA convention in Spokane last month, and Wannagrip sent me an e-mail after I sent my grippers in to be certified.  

Thanks for the welcome aboard,

Kurtis

Hey, Kurtis. Glad you made it on the board. I changed your title appropriately.  Geez, pretty soon we'll have the whole COC list on here! :) :)