Hook grip

Guest Jesse Snadden

Guest Jesse Snadden

Why use a hook grip ? I know it gives a better grip but doesn't that take away from developping hand strenght ?

Guest Dimitri

I tried using a hook grip years ago......#### painful.I think you are correct that using a natural grip builds more gripping power.

"Why use a hook grip ?"

Depends on what your goals are.

For me it is to lift heavier weights, (if the rules allow the hook.)

For the deadlift it is easier on the back, and less chance of a biceps injury.

The usawa/iawa has lifts that allow hooking, and there are some that don't.

Joe

Hi Jesse-

I agree with you if a beginner, from the very start of his grip training, uses a hook grip.  But, it seems to me that the only people that seriously and effectively use the hook grip are those that are already at a high level of strength.  For these people the hook grip is naturally the next form of progression.  

As long as it's a bare hand and some chalk, it's fine by me if you can twist your hand into a pretzel to hold the bar.  And remember that a hook grip doesn't eliminate the need for grip strength.  Someone with a weak grip using a hook grip is going to have a weak hook grip.

I've never used a hook grip.  I'm not strong enough yet to seriously consider it as a viable technique for me.  I like the use of thick bars anyway, where a hook grip isn't really an option.

One man's thoughts...

BC.

Guest Michael Rabich

To me hook grip was frustrating I never managed doing the kind of weights as I would with a regular grip, but truthfully I did not stay with it long enough, facts are facts top deadlifts are done with hook grip

There are only a couple powerlifters effectively using the hook grip in the world.  My brother Brad is one of them - he copied Maxim Podytiny from Russia after watching him pull over 850 with a hook.  There are numerous reasons to use a hook when deadlifting but if you don't have the thumb for it and/or can't get used to the pain, you will never be effective at it.  

As far as grip, Brad's Rolling Thunder lift went up 15-20 pounds in 6 months after he switched to hook grip, he closed the #3 gripper for the first time, and pinch gripped 2-45's for the first time as well.  I would suspect the crushing and supporting grip went up because the hook grip forces your hand to be in a more open position (similar to a thick bar deadlift) which works the forearm more.  Not sure why his pinch grip went up - probably just confidence.

Wade

Guest Jesse Snadden

Well I suspect the pinch grip might go up because of the extra use of the thumb.

"facts are facts top deadlifts are done with hook grip"

I wouldn't say this is 100% true, plenty of top deadlifters use the reverse grip.