How is your grip on our history?

Roark

6 members have voted

1. 1. How is your grip on our history?

• Webster: Sons of Samson #1
    • Webster: Sons of Samson #2
    • Webster: The Iron GameWilloughby: The Super Athletes
    • Willoughby: Kings of Strength series (in Ironman)Gaudreau: Anvils, Horseshoes and Cannons vol #1
    • Gaudreau: Anvils, Horseshoes and Cannons vol #2Todd: Iron Game History (U of Texas)

Sometimes I wonder what the backgrounds of the

board members are in relation to how aware of our

history each of you is. These samples should be

required reading if you care about iron history.

The vote doesn't work for me since I can pick only one.  I only have the top 3, however.  I have about 5 thirty-inch shelves of weightlifting/strength training books, although only two shelves of the really great stuff like Jowett, Calvert, Berry, Webster and Willoughby.   I have another 3 or so shelves of magazines, but they are not that old, and not much of a resource for history.  I have some old Strength an Health magazines, and each one is worth 10 of the newer ones for strength related information.

E-bay is my friend because you just can’t find this kind of stuff in used bookstores (rarely).

Joe,

I too have the 1st three books, and they are excellent.  The Super Athletes was a total find for me, because I got it for only $12 in mint condition from BarnesandNoble.com about two years ago.  These are all great books.  I would love to see some of the WSM stuff repeated when Kaz, Capes, and Sigmarsson were active.  Great stuff!!

I have many books on all sorts of topics, and I'm ordering more.  My favorite author is Saxon, but I'll read anything of interest pertaining to grip strength, and building overall body strength.  One of my favorites is "Super Squats" - I musta read that one at least a dozen times!  :)

Guest Luke Reimer

Joe,

Ashamed to say, I haven't read any of the works you mentioned, or much else for that matter on the iron game. I remember stumbling across a biography of Louis Cyr some years ago and devouring it in a day or two, but nothing since then in the way of books.

Now that you have personnally conferred such high recommendations on certain books and authors, with respect to their subject, I know I can't do without them.  Thanks for taking this poll Joe.