The Data from PDA!

Bill Piche

Guest Russell Latterman

Cool!

Now we finaly have a perfect way to see how tough the grippers really are.  Can we send in grippers to be tested allready, or will that start later in the future?

From the data, it looks like Richard Sorin is the all time grip master when it comes to crushing grip.  Joe Kinney is the only one who gets credit for closing a #4 COC, but Sorin closed the "Phantom 4", which is harder than the current #4.

Someone should ask Joe if he wants to send in his #4 for testing.  Everyone would be really interested.  

On the list of certified captains of crush, I think they should post the exact tension of the grippers next to the name of the closer.

Also,

Those numbers seem higher than they should be.  I didn'tfully understand what they meant when they said they multiplied the readings by 2.375.  Could I get a more clear explanation?

Guest Aptdwler

Man, even more variation than I expected!! It seems like the only way to have ANY idea of the closing strength is to test the gripper. The numbers are all over the place.

"The numbers are all over the place"

Yeah, tell me about it.  

Guest AghastGrip

One thing I'm sure you guys noticed was that the tested numbers were all much higher than the quoted figures from Ironmind. Perhaps that means that we all have a much stronger grip strength (in pounds) than we think! Perhaps a positive point? ;)

IM's numbers were numbers guesstimated by Richard Sorin and I heard this from Richard himself.

I saw an Elite 2 on the list.  I emailed Richard and he said that is the BBM.  I noticed a couple 3's are under it.  

Richard also closed the Phantom 4 with John Brookfield as the witness and the old silvercrush 3 with two fingers with a dozen witnesses.  Mr. Sorin IS the King of Crush!

621!  That's the mark.

I always knew that Richard Sorin was the king of crush. Now we have the evidence. I would be interested to see how Joe Kinney's #4 compares with the tested grippers. My guess is that his #4 is softer than the #3 grippers closed by Sorin and Brookfield.

Wannagrip, Thanks for the additional information on the Elite 2, I did not know that was a Master.  It’s exciting to know that my Master may be higher than some #3’s!  Last week when I did your routine I brought the Master to work, and gained a new appreciation for it.  I was so far along with the #2 when I bought the Master, I did not fully comprehend how difficult the Master was because I almost closed it first attempt.  Most guys at work (admittedly office workers) could either not position the gripper in their hand or if they did could, they could not move the handles even ½-inch. I can do better on the Elite 3 than these guys were doing on my Master!

Wow, Richard Sorin sure as a lot of grippers!  I thought I had a lot of grippers at around 14.  More grippers=more Strength :)

I know that John Szimanski was concerned about how and where the measurement was taken, but looking at these numbers I think it doesn’t matter as long as the measurements are consistently taken.  I was looking at the numbers in relation to each other and I am amazed that the phantom 4 is over double the IM 3’s on the bottom of the list.  Richard Sorin closing that gripper in front of John Brookfield has to stand as one of the greatest grip feats in history!

Kinney must send his #4 gripper to PDA to settle the score.

Tom, I have brought the BBM to work as well and have had similar results.  :biggrin:

The numbers shown are in units of in-lbs, or torque, which is different from the Ironmind units, which are in pounds.  To convert the PDA numbers to pounds, divide by 2.375, the moment arm John references I believe.

Ok, entry #9, which I believe is an old 3.

498/2.375 = 209.68lbs

Guest Russell Latterman

The current #3s are supposedly less than 150lbs (probably about 140)  Some #3s are even lower.  Doesn't that seem kind of weak?  It seems like it has to be more than that.  I've read medical information on grip strength and the average grip of adult men is supposed to be 107 lbs.  With the average at about 100, it makes sense to say that the trainer is 100 lbs because most adults have a hard time with it. And how could it be so hard to close a current #3 (140 lbs) if the average grip strength is 107? If Mr. Sorin was able to close the Phantom 4 wich is suposed to be 261lbs, that means guy with the strongest grip ever had a grip 2.6 times stronger than average.  In all other feats of strength, the strongest people ever can have strength 6 or 7 times above average.  I guess it's just hard to measure grip stength.

And why would Richard Sorin's guestimation be over 100lbs higher for a #3 than it really was?

I don't care what the #s are though, closing any #3 or #4 takes INSANE strength.  The measurements can just be used to tell the difference between grippers.

One day the mystery will be solved!  

Guest Gordon Cooper

Russell asked:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The current #3s are supposedly less than 150lbs (probably about 140)  Some #3s are even lower.  Doesn't that seem kind of weak?  It seems like it has to be more than that.  I've read medical information on grip strength and the average grip of adult men is supposed to be 107 lbs.  With the average at about 100, it makes sense to say that the trainer is 100 lbs because most adults have a hard time with it. And how could it be so hard to close a current #3 (140 lbs) if the average grip strength is 107

==

A good question to ask is what is the standard deviation about the mean grip strength of the average male? Are we using an average contemporary American male, or something else as our standard? And, how big is the sample size? How is this being calibrated? What's the mean for folks who strength train regularly?

Just suppose for a moment that the standard deviation about the mean is 15 lbs. That would suggest a grip strength of 140 lbs. would be 2s about the mean, if the mean is 107. Exerting 200 lbs. of pressure would be 6s above the mean.

Shutting an old #3 or a current #4 is like, well, it is like the Army Colonel I met who whipped through the US military Russian, Chinese and Turkish language learning programs at Monterey, CA in eight weeks per course. Simply phenomenal. World class.

Guest Aptdwler

Most medical tests and fitness tests have been done with dynameters. They are generally adjusted to a position that allows maximum pressure application, and the movement is very small. I think this would make higher numbers possible.

I have to agree, closing the phantom four is UNREAL, SUPERHUMAN!

I have in more crude tests found that an old

# 3 would require 247 lbs on the TIPS of the

handle and a new one some 27lbs less to make

the gripper shut.If you move closer to the

handle and the number will greatly

increase.The old three was an INCH out with

the weight that shut the new one. The phantom

4 took around 310 lbs so in my estimation the

numbers doubled would VERY closely fit PDAs

figures. RS621

Guest Russell Latterman

O.K. I get it. So the Phantom 4 takes 261 lbs of pressure on the tips of the handle to close it, and about 621 pounds of pressure when you take into account the pressure needed to close it with you fingers spread across the handles.  Since a person's hand covers most or all of the handle, it take much more pressure.

Guest Radiulis

I was wondering if Mr. Sorin or anyone else could tell us about the "Tetting" and "Jubinville" grippers which were in the testing documents. What is their history?

Warren Tetting has produced grippers for many

years...Some of the strongest being from the

1985 to 1991 period when he made them for

Iron ManMagazine. He produced the first

silvercrush grippers for Mr Strossen untill

Randy started having them made

independently.Tetting a great iron game fan

and a real craftsman continues to produce

grippers for Beefbuilder (Master,Elite).When

tested his grippers were more uniform than

"others" Jubinvilles grippers were strong

,poorly made devices ......I had one"explode

"in my hand lodging a chunk of metal in my

left hand. Mr Jubinville passed away years

ago and I doubt if his equipment is still

sold. RS621

Guest Radiulis

Thanks for the reply, I imagine those old Tetting grippers must be real collectibles, anyone got a clue where I could find one for sale?

• 7 years later...

figures. RS621

Is this correct?

247lbs on a RGC to close your old #3.

Isn't that like an extremely hard #4 range? :blink

I would, as well as others, to see through an RGC sent to the Sorinex gym.

figures. RS621

Is this correct?

PDA calibrations are history...RGC is similar to the right to bear arms...anyone can do it

They might be history but at least he tried. It is also a little crass to say such a thing when the man that did the work only passed on last week.

figures. RS621

Is this correct?

It does not take anything but common sense to tell, that the numbers are not RGC-comparable.
They might be history but at least he tried. It is also a little crass to say such a thing when the man that did the work only passed on last week.
Agreed.

Correction, that particular( 621 Inch pound as per PDA) gripper took 310lbs. placed on the tips to make the handles touch when I tested it. Please refer to my earlier posts. RS