60d bent at last!

Guest Danjo

Well, tonight I finally bent a 60d nail to where there is only 1" left between point and head. I feel as if I have wrestled a gorilla.

It took me many tries, but it was done with just my hands using two leather work gloves for padding. I can't say that it looked pretty when I was doing it, but just knowing that I did it once makes me know that I will keep making improvements.

Thanks to Tom Black for the technique and inspiration. I can't imagine the strength that it takes to bend 60's in one fell swoop after the death match I just had with this 60d nail, and one of the weaker 60d's at that.

I know that a lot of others here have done this feat, but I wanted to post this and express my gratitude for this forum. Onward and upward!

Congratulations.  It's an honor to be the first to congratulate you, especially since you've thanked me in your post.  I still remember my first 60-penny nails that I bent (off the side of my leg at that time) and it was really a tremendous thrill.  Sometimes when you wrestle them it's even more gratifying because it's like a battle that you've won.  I hang my best attempts up on a corkboard with a pushpin, you should do the same.  

Speaking of inspirations, your sig. line "Place no limits upon yourself and you will have none" is inspiring and good advise.

Guest Danjo

Thanks to all of you for the encouraging words. Tom, I will take your advice, it's going on the corkboard.

The quote, if it seems familiar is from the Mighty Atom bio. It is what Volanko said to him as a boy.

Guest Danjo

Nothing too new, just some updates due to the fact that I can't go too long without posting.

I have continued to bend more 60d's. I have bent 5 more since the first one mentioned above, and I am getting better at it. Last night I bent 2 in the space of 10 minutes. The gorilla is getting smaller, but MAN these things are still hard to bend. I feel wiped out after I'm through.

It does seem very "mental" it was as if after I bent the first one, I then knew that I could do it and the rest have been easier for me. My mind won't let my body not do it after it knows the body is capable. Of course that only applies to when I'm fresh, after I'm tired, I'm tired.

I have noticed some side benifits to bending nails. Because of the amount of effort that is used by the chest and triceps, my bench pressing has gone way up. I covered for a fellow teacher the other day who was teaching PE. He had the kids in the weight room and I got a chance to do some presses (I haven't lifted weights since college in '95) I was able to bench press 271 lbs free weight! AFTER I had done 235 for 5 reps, and 260. I still don't lift weights, but it's kind of neat to see the cross-over benifits. Perhaps I'll get into weight lifting once my schedule allows me to do so regularly. It should be interesting to see if there is any discernable improvement between now and then.

Anyone else noticed this type of cross over effect?

Keep 'em coming Danjo!!!!

I lift and do grip work, but I would guess that even though you don't lift your still working your self with the bending/gripwork.