Pinch gripping

Guest Wayne Cislowski

Guest Wayne Cislowski

I'm asking because I'm having difficulty lifting 2 15kg at the moment I can't break it from to floor but if I lift it with 2 hands then let go with 1 I can hold on for about 2-3 sec, did you just keep perservering with it or gradually add weight by a chain or something with the 2 10kgs I wanna hear anything your've got to say

Guest Scott Clayton

Long holds, up to a minute, with the 10kg plates did it for me.  Also, if you can, use plates with different widths.  In my gym there are wide and narrow plates.  Try wide 10kg's, narrow 15kg's, whatever you can get your hands on.

Additionally, work with 20 kg plates.  Pinch and hold them with both hands.   Pick them up with 2 hands, and drop with one hand like you are doing now.  The width of the heavy plates will really help with the smaller plates.

One last thing you may want to try.  Load up one end of a bar with 2, 20kg plates, smooth sides out.  Throw on another couple smaller plates out side the 20's.  Straddle the bar, pinch, and lift.  You can move more weight, because you can get leverage pushing against the bar.   This will get your hands ready for bigger loads.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest StrongerthanArne

Scott,

How much did you pinch when you first started, and how long did it take until you could pinch two 45 lb plates? Moreover, I saw a picture of you pinching 97 lb. What was the combined width of these plates?

Yesterday, I pinched 32.8 kg (72 lb) with my right hand @ 62 mm width (2 7/16). Possibly not too bad considering that I have only done pinch gripping for a couple of weeks. I am much weaker with my left hand though (28.7 kg (63 lb) @ 62 mm width). It seems harder to make gains on pinch gripping compared to the CoC grippers and holding (or perhaps I am being too impatient). Has this been your experience too?

Cheers

Guest Scott Clayton

I started out pinching 50 pounds, 20 kilos for about 20 seconds or so.  It took me about 3 months, working my pinch 2-3 times a week to do the 45's.  

The plates in the picture are probably about 2 and a half inches thinck, mayne 60 millimeters.

Your pinching strength may develop a little slower than your gripper stregth, but when I specialized on pinching, I didn't use the grippers, so I'm not really sure.

Your lift is very good, especialy if you have only been at it a few weeks.   As for your left hand being weaker, try pinching 2 sets of plates, one in each hand at the same time.   My left cannot support the same weight as my right, but it will hold lower weights for about the same time.

(Edited by Scott Clayton at 10:52 am on July 17, 2001)