Finger tips crushing grip (Eagle's style)

Guest CalvinP

Guest CalvinP

I have mentioned in the grip page about the fingertips crushing grip. I feel I needed to clarify it one step further. The true fingertips crushing grip would use ONLY the VERY tips of the fingers. Fingers would remain CURVED like the eagle's talons. Pressure will be on the tips near the fingernails, as if one is to dig in with them, or to puncture the object. Please tell me if this grip is not entirely different than other grips, thanks.

I guess we can call it The claw grip or the Eagle grip. Has any one seen Jackie chan movie tittled  Snake in eagle's shadow?

Guest 68-1005097157

Calvin,

I think one should be careful to distinguish between types of grip and grip strength.  Pinching grip, crushing grip and supporting grip are all examples of the latter while pronated grip, false grip, and pinch grip are a few examples of the former.  As I understand it, Eagle grip is certainly a new type of grip.  There are other unusual grips that do weird things with the fingers, for instance,  the way one would grip a phone book for starting a tear in the spine or David Horne's method of gripping a 1" vertical bar apparatus.  But Eagle grip is certainly unique in this sense.

As regards the grip strength it necessitates, however, I do not think it is completely new.  The classical division into pinching, crushing, and supporting strength is incomplete: Brookfield, for instance, divides hand strength into 7 categories.  As to what categories Eagle grip falls into, I would say it appears to be almost exclusively finger strength.  If I wanted a strong Eagle grip, besides working just the tips of the fingers and doing the exercises you suggest, I would try to develop absolute talons for fingers via: barrel lifting by chines, individual finger deadlifts, maybe some sand grabbing, etc.  I would also modify my pinching to use more of the tip of the thumb.

I would bet that some non martial artists out there would have incredibly strong eagle grips, such as Gorilla Hands (does he still come here?) and Brookfield, both of whom have the finger toughness to plate curl a 45 lb plate and crush potatoes (finishing off a potato crush is a feat which requires great finger tip strength).

I hope this answers your question.  

Guest CalvinP

HI Doc,

I am a beginner of this gripping game! I have to learn all those terms by reading in this board. My back ground's  originally in martial art. Eagle grip is very popular move in kung fu of many styles such as Tiger's, Dragon's... Where one is pretending one's hands as claws, I am sure many of us know this.

Such practicioner would not only strengthens his fingers, but also make the tips become hardened. To enhance the chance of inflicting the damage. In 1990 I 've met a gentleman/master in Arlinton VA. He has been practicing a form of kung fu called Red palms (My translation). It is very close to Iron palms kung fu. Any way, his finger tips were all bigger than the fingers itself. By using the thickened tips he could strike the hard table with claw like hand very hard without hurting himself. After 30 years of doing so his finger nails had become so thick and had grown into a curve toward the tips (so weird to look at). One could imagine such a blow by those tips would do much damage following by the grip on the opponent's neck. Good thing was he is very gentle and soft spoken. He had told me his Master (Chinese) made him practice on the cotton balls (yes) to begin with, then gradually move to beans, rice, sands, beads...

I am not into making my fingers looking like that (don't have 30 years to do so). However I am inspired by "Gorillar Hands" and many others to make it tougher and stronger my way!

May be someday this kind of grip will be a in contest. Where no palms are used, only fingers tips are touching the object.

Guest Monkey Paws

Opps,  I guess the direct link doesn't work and the video doesn't have anything to do with "Eagle Claw" or martial arts anyway.

But if you want to see strong fingers in action check out any of the many free videos at:

www.climbxmedia.com