Feats Of Grip Strength Vs Records.

Vince Basile

Anyone visiting this site would conclude that there are several feats that most grip enthusiasts aspire to achieve. Closing the #3 CoC grippers, pinching 2 X 45 lb Olympic plates, lifting the Inch Dumbbell, bending certain difficult spikes and so on. Did I mention the Blob? If these feats gain currency then they become the default standards of exceptional grip strength. Many feel that anyone doing those feats has done well and belongs on the list of exceptionally strong grip men.

When we view Wade passing two 45s behind his back again and again we are reminded that some feats are rather easy for some people. These people can play with weights that others may never be able to lift. That is true for all the grip events. There are some exceptional men who are all-rounders but at the moment it appears that there is nobody who is best at all events and on all apparatus.

Instead of having standards imposed on us like being a certified Captain of Crush we should be forming committees to establish our own grip standards. Then perhaps coming up with ways to test those standards. It might mean that new equipment has to be invented to achieve this goal.

While I am as impressed as everyone else with the pinching feats of Wade with those big plates I do wonder how much he can pinch. That is the way we separate who is best at each event. At the moment there is no standardized pinch test. Until there is it means that all pinching feats have to be recorded in the history of the sport and categorized into apparatus, widths and plate surface. We cannot compare the bests achieved on different equipment and surfaces.

It doesn't appear that there will be any world association for our sport. Why? Well, there are several individuals who now hold contests and so on and they do not need to relinquish any of that power to elected people who might not do as good a job as they think they are doing. That always is a problem in sports and individuals and groups form to cater to the various needs of participants and competitors.

Who holds the current world records in each of the grip events? What about the pinch? That is one event that has seen plenty of published results. We have contests where one or two hands are used so there are lists that can be collected showing the amounts lifted by individuals. In the past this is how the world best was spoken about. Whoever published a story about themselves with accompanying photos and amounts lifted usually were credited with lifting that weight. There were no certifications or anyone checking to see how much was actually lifted, etc. It was an honour system and those days are long gone when that is okay. Bruce White pinched 55 kg on a two inch steel block. Richard Sorin pinched 56 kg using 2 X 45 lb plates. Others increased the "record" until David Horne pinched 65 kg a couple of years ago in the British Championships. That was the most pinched in a national championships until last year when I pinched 80 kg in the Australian championships. That is what the facts say.

However, things are not as simple as that. It appears that doing something in a competition might not have any status unless others give it. I find that rather perplexing. Why have an event in a contest and then say that it was just a fun event and not a true indication of pinch strength? Well, we have argued this on and off line before. The end result is that contest organizers and magazine publishers can decide what is to be accepted in this sport.

I say it is about time we formed an organization and stopped the backroom decisions so common in this sport. The sooner we have official world records the better it will be for everyone. We can have champions and they can have something to aspire to and be able to properly compete among themselves.

Another thing that seems to be true is that one cannot be equally good at all the events. It is my theory that training for many events can interfere with particular events. I am quite sure doing wrist curls and grippers is not the best thing to improve pinch lifting. If I am right then no one can expect to be the all round champion and win all the events. Anyone doing this is truly exceptional.

We might see the continuation of individual events being held like the Rolling Thunder contests. Maybe they can hold these with bodybuilding and weightlifting contests to introduce some interest and variety. I would like to specialize in pinching and am not too concerned about doing all the events. I certainly want to stay away from any event that requires hundreds of kg to be lifted by one hand. Assuming that one is capable of this. The older we get the more careful we should be in a sport that is showing off. Well, we call this demonstrating strength.

After the Aussie championships I tested myself on the pinch to see if "stickiness" was a factor in pinching. I loaded the machine with 50 kg and proceeded to do 30 reps with no break in between. If others can lift this only once then it cannot be attributed to stickiness alone. Surely strength is a factor. Doing 30 reps means that more should be able to be lifted for a 1 rep maximum and on good days I lift 85 kg. I still hold the record of 92.5 kg and under the honour system it is fair that this record be accepted as a world best until someone exceeds it. Yes, it was on a special machine but there were no grip aids used such as chalk.

I also lifted 145 kg to the deadlift position in the two hand pinch on a 2 inch surface covered with skateboard tape. I haven't read where anyone has lifted more in the two hand event.

Until we have set official standards then we have no records and no champions except what we read from what has been posted from the various contests around the world. I think it rather unfair if we do not acknowledge and accept what everyone has done in competitions.

I think it is time we think clearly about this sport and be fair to everyone who participates in good faith. There is no need to ostracise anyone and dismiss what they have done. We need to move above that and improve our way of recognizing and ratifying feats. Friendship should have no place in the ratification process.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vince Basile

• Rob Vigeant

• bseedot

• OldGuy

It got done an age ago on Tom Blacks website. And please don't bring up, again, the skateboard tape and or machine that no one else uses any more than I should mention the MDB that only a few have had access to just to get arguments going again.

And please don't bring up, again, the skateboard tape and or machine that no one else uses any more than I should mention the MDB that only a few have had access to just to get arguments going again.

AMEN!

I have yet to see the purpose of skate board tape. It makes you lift more, making it a true test of grip strength, I have heard that arguement. Well, allow straps on all deadlifts 1 handed included, allow chokers on all grippers, and put some tape around the Inch. Sure you can do more with it, but when people started doing this stuff they didn't use tape. When people first pinched 45's they didn't throw on some skate board tape. When Sorin first lifted the blob, you got it no tape. Also, the standard is either a pair of 45lbs plate, or a slick ass IronMind block. If people pinch a weight they tell you what on then you get to go try it, no machines.

You want to know who the best pincher is go to Great Britain!

Here on the gripboard, we see such great feats of hand strength, we often take them for granted. Go watch Wade's tape again. Although others are strong in the pinch, what he did is unprecedented. If anyone thinks they can match or suprass that, I'd like to see it!

Vince Basile you should get a good pair of 45's or use the ironmind pinch block and show everyone how great your pinch grip is or quit bringing this subject up.

Wade is great No doubt, but plates vary in weight. There are 45lbs

plates i can pinch with 2 fingers and thumb and others I barely

break from the ground but 90lbs is a LONG way from 143lbs.

There are so many factors in pinching Wade might be better than

David in wide pinch but for 2" wide my moneys on the man from

GB.

Wade is great No doubt, but plates vary in weight. There are 45lbs

plates i can pinch with 2 fingers and thumb and others I barely

break from the ground but 90lbs is a LONG way from 143lbs.

There are so many factors in pinching Wade might be better than

David in wide pinch but for 2" wide my moneys on the man from

GB.

One is done using loose plates, and the other using a pinchlift setup where the plates are locked together with a bar through the center. Two different lifts. Comparisons need to be made using the same equipment such as David Horne's new pinchlift setup.

One is done using loose plates, and the other using a pinchlift setup where the plates are locked together with a bar through the center. Two different lifts. Comparisons need to be made using the same equipment such as David Horne's new pinchlift setup.

True but, 2 plates isn't the reason why you can't

lift it. Its the weight or slickness of the gripping surface.

If all things are the same (Slickness,Weight and HEIGHT of implement)

its NOT going to make a differance if you put a pipe through the plates

or not for you to lift them. NOW 3 plates on up thats night and day.

Check this out from PDA's site. This may be what's been asked for as far as a standard.

The Groper™ Adjustable Pinch Block prototype is complete. It goes out for field testing next week. The G features an infinitely adjustable thickness range from 1" to 3". The range can be made wider on request.. The weight of the Groper™ never changes because it does not rely on plates to change the thickness. Texturing of the grip surface will be optional. No tools are required but can be used (your option) to lock the thickness. A spring clip is provided on the load link. The load link is self centering. The only adjustment is for the thickness. The only load increment is on the loading pin. Changing thickness for user preference is quick, easy, and tool-less.

The Iron Mind Pinch Block(the new wide one)is a bitch!!But of all the equipment out there??I'd say at least the IM Big Block is almost always the same....they are as slick as snot and always the same size.

Load it up...then weigh the entire apparatus on an accurate scale and there you go.

The are all slick...so be it.Pick it up with your right hand...then try it with your left hand.If you have near world record lift?video tape it or get some good witnesses and take a pic.

What so hard about that....AND there ARE a lot of them already out there...maybe?Guessing??hundreds have been sold.And they cost about half as much as a cheap pair of boots :cool

Nothing fancy they are ALL (apparently)the same.

Don't like it?!?!?!?(either do I :blush )get a stronger pinch.Next time Iron Mind has a pinch contest and offers some money then try it.Everybody has to cope with the slickness.it seems to me the guy with the best pinch will pull the most weight...not used to the apparatus??spend $20 and buy one.

Ibelieve Wade Gillingham holds the OFFICIAL world record.beat him in competition.

Ibelieve Wade Gillingham holds the OFFICIAL world record.beat him in competition.

Does anyone know the weight?

I believe it's 67lbs in plates. They then made a jump to 72lb and it was just a little too much. I'd be willing to bet he's beat this in training.

Edited by JeffPeterson

It does make a difference if you have a bar going through the plates holding everything together for you. It makes things easier as you only have to concentrate on your pinch and not keeping the plates together. Maybe Wade could confirm this?

Only if your pinching more than 2 plates. If your max pinch is 70lbs

with a bar through the middle, all things being equal you WILL pinch

2 35lb plates. Now if you had 3 plates that weighed 22.3 lbs and all

else being the same you WON'T be able to lift it.

I still disagree. With a bar you do not have the problem of trying to keep the plates tightly together. When the plates are locked together it is no diffrtent than using a solid block of the same width.

Of course I have tried it. I am not just sitting here in an easychair theorizing! My experience has been different from yours that's all.

did Jeff P. mean 67 lbs. in plates on the IM wide block? thats not counting the apparatus? im not sure i understood that post.

ron

I believe these #'s are pretty accurate. I meant that he got 67lbs in plates no apparatus weights. I read it in milo awhile ago. Hopefully wade will read this at some point and correct me if I'm wrong. I'd hate to screw up a world record.

December 2002 Milo - 65lbs. Yes I've done much more.

My 2 cents on this is World records are born from competition using standardized equipment. Grip like strongman will never really have good world records because even the weights lifted on standardized equipment will vary greatly from day to day depending on natural factors like heat and humidity, and human factors like someone having greasy hands or someone using chalk before the next competitor who likes to wipe it clean. However, I think there are some good things out there to compare with - those being the Ironmind products, and some of the things that have been around a long time like York Plates and Blobs. This is not a knock on PDA or Fat Bastard Barbell, as i'm sure their products are great as well just not as universally used as Ironmind's.

Forget setting standards so we can have records set in the gym, if you want to have world records then you need controlled conditions and that will only come from competition, rules, and standardization of the equipment. Good competition will only come from good sponsors - otherwise there is no incentive for someone to show up. You might be sitting there thinking you would like to compete for the fun of competing but trust me, if you are traveling further than you can comfortably drive in 5-6hrs, after you do it for a few years and drain your bank account you begin to have second thoughts. If someone wants to spend the time looking for sponsors to run a "World's Strongest Grip" contest with regional competitions in every participating country leading up to a national champion and those representatives meeting for a world championship, i'm all for it. In fact I will help out with organizing and promoting. Maybe that is what we all need to focus on in 2004??

I agree with Wade on his last post. We as the grip world

need to start here and now on making this big, and the only

way to do it is to have something big.

M2

I don't think it will get that big, but I WISH and if it did I think you big guys would put up HUGE numbers. (I'd love to see Mark Henrys rolling thunder.)