A Pinch Question

Guest rockblaster

Guest rockblaster

Will someone please explain to me what it means to pinch lift with the hand, not using the fingers or the thumb?  I read Nick's article but I need more of a description.  I have been pinching using smooth plates with each individual finger and the thumb.  Am I on the right track?

Guest woody36

Rock,

this is how i imagine it,hold your hand out

straight in front of you,still keeping your fingers

straight fold your hand in.If you fold it in as tight as you can you should feel pressure across the crease of your

hand,now imagine picking a thin plate up in that crease

using only palm/hand strength no fingers/thumbs.

I think this is what he means.

Guest JD79

I could be wrong but when I asked Nick about it he said that it meant you should really stick your hand on the object you are pinching, dont leave any gap between your hand and the plates or block.  Wedge it into your hand.  You must use your fingers, thumb, and the meaty part of your hand.

JD

I have a tendency to over-describe things, but I don't think I've ever mentioned that I have been pushing down before pulling up on both my pinch lift and thick dumbbells.  This has the effect of suctioning the hand to the implement, and helps to avoid the gap that JD mentions above.

Regarding the pinching in your hand, I was thinking about how i do it and gripping in the hand area without using the fingers. I decided to try an experiment to see if I could train this area of the hand exclusively. I got a piece of wood 2" x 1" by about 8" long and drilled two holes in it about an inch from  each end and fastened some strong rope through the holes in a big loop. I put weights onto this using a chain and caribiner; the object was to pinch the wood with the fingers straight and not assissting. It proved difficult but effective: had a play tonight and it was interesting. We'll keep you posted!

David