Left/Right Hand Difference

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

Hi all. I'm new around here, so pardon this question if it seems really dumb.

I didn't know which CoC gripper to buy, so I guessed at it with some help from IronMind and got a No. 1. It came today, so I opened it up, warmed my hands in some hot water (per the great recommendations here), chalked up, and went to it. I easily got 20 fully closed reps in my right hand, but no more than 2 in my left.

I know I need the No. 2 for my right, and I also know I've got to do some serious supplemental work on that left hand. :-) Question is, if I -- dare to dream -- ever can close a No. 3 with my right, but can't with my left, would that count? Or do certified CoCs have to be able to close the gripper in each hand?

Again, sorry if this is a moronic question. I look forward to hanging around the board as much as I can to learn even more than I already have.

Best,

David

David,

First off, there is NO dumb question.  Actually, I believe this might be the first time someone asked this particular question.  The answer to your question is:  NO.  You do NOT have to close it with both hands.

Now, I've got a question for you.  Why is your right hand so much stronger than your left?  That's odd.  In my case, BOTH my hands were equally strong, and that's the way I trained them:  EQUALLY.  I would suggest working on bringing your left hand up to speed with your right.

I have a grip "hotline" available 24/7 that's toll-free.  Ask me any "dumb" question you want.  The number is:  1-877-571-7486.  Then leave your question, who you are, your phone number, and the best time to call you back.  That's it!

And..... Welcome to the GripBoard!

Guest DavidHW

Sybersnott:

Thanks for the welcome.

The only theory I have on the difference is that as I was growing up I played a lot of tennis (one-handed strokes off both sides) and didn't develop my grip strength equally. I must say though that I don't notice the difference very much when I deadlift, or do other weightbearing exercises. It could be just a question of muscle coordination in the left hand being a little behind the right at least as far as crushing strength is concerned.

At least I know for sure now I'm not ambidextrous. :-)

Welcome aboard.  I am the same way, at least with the grippers.  My pinch and other lifts are a little different from right to left hand, but my right hand completely dominates with the grippers.  

I think it's also the design of the spring, which favors a righty close.  I'm a lefty, stronger, by a little bit, with my left in everything except the COC's (although I am going through a spell right now in which my left is stronger on the grippers).  Go figure...

BC.