Wrist Size

gripmaniac

Hi All,

Just reading that article at naturalstrength.com and couldn’t help but be amazed at the fact that Cleve Dean had a wrist of 10 inches.  Geez,  mine is only 7 5/8” – at the moment. This got me wondering 1) How large are the wrists of some of you CoC, powerlifters, and others out there?  2) Has anyone noticed a significant increase in their wrist size (ie. your watch band had to be let out once or twice) whilst training over the years?

In measuring my wrist I’m taking the measurement just below the slightly protruding bones in my wrist.  

Obviously bodyweight is a key factor in overall wrist size (comments welcome!).  I’m 6’4” but only 215lbs – at the moment.  Were I 450lbs (scary thought!) I’m sure things would be different.

Cheers

“Big” Dave

Guest CanadaCrush

Cleve Dean is a mammoth of a man, weighing over 400 pounds. I think wrist size is more attributed to genetics than grip, although Cleve was and is one of the most powerful armwrestlers on the planet. Sharon Remez, another armwrestler, from Israel, has wrists only a cm smaller than Cleve's, but at a weight of 100kg.

-Mark

Guest Tobbster

Yea, I too wonder about the possibility of increasing wrist circumference by training, especially since mine are unusually thin. I´ve read statements from people who seemed to know a lot about training both that wrist size can be increased and that it not can be increased.

Guest CanadaCrush

I think wrist size would only increase with tendon size, depending on where you measure your wrist. I've found that, if you measure behind the bone on your wrist, you can increase the size of it through wrist curls and things of that nature. If you measure infront of, towards the hand, the bone then it becomes more difficult to gain size. As I posted on an earlier thread, my right wrist is about an inch larger than my left (I beleive I said 1.5 inches on the other thread, either I didn't measure that carefully, or my left wrist is catching up).

-Mark